Best And Worse.

wandrinstar

Worst: Toyota VIOS (though admittedly, it was bought for the wife).

Best: Cayenne S Hybrid, but that will soon be bested by another addition :)

Interesting point that MRO. Our Reps have a Choise of Vios or City . When the Vios came out, they wanted one, now without exeption they have gone back to City, or pay the difference for a Jazz.. Ive seen the Hammering these Citys get, and the Hi Klics ,and still they are superbly reliable..It cant be luck, i dont care who wins,Toyo or Honda , but its put the City on top of my Doodle Bug list.. It suits my driving style for slaming into bends,the front struts let you feel the road. Perhaps you might consider a Toyota Hybrid.., swearing can lead to a Ban.!!.:D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point that MRO. Our Reps have a Choise of Vios or City . When the Vios came out, they wanted one, now without exeption they have gone back to City, or pay the difference for a Jazz.. Ive seen the Hammering these Citys get, and the Hi Klics ,and still they are superbly reliable..It cant be luck, i dont care who wins,Toyo or Honda , but its put the City on top of my Doodle Bug list.. It suits my driving style for slaming into bends,the front struts let you feel the road. Perhaps you might consider a Toyota Hybrid.., swearing can lead to a Ban.!!.:D

Well, I guess I have the benefit of youth (if 37 is young, heh).. I spent the first few years of my driving life in company cars (the first couple worse than the VIOS I might add, but they don't count right), and it wasn't until I was 20 before I bought my first 'own' car (a Skyline GT-R). So I don't have any stories to tell of clunkers from the 60's, 70's (or worse) the 80's ;)

Agree that the City os a better drive than the VIOS, but it if I had owned one, it would still sit as my worst car ;)

Out of my numerous "rides" Kawasaki ZZR1100 is the best,

Seems like this post is about cars,, So my favorite car was a Vauxhall Cresta, 1958 epic series, very smooth 2.2 6cyl, 3 speed colunm change, bench front seat, a very basic car, but very reliable and roomy, the roomy bit being based on a yank tank i suppose..

Worst, well, i always wanted an 1800 Marina auto, when i got one i couldnt get rid of it, some nights i would leave on the road with the keys in and interior light on, eventually it was nicked, but the next night it reappeared, no fuel and loads of dents, so i scrapped it..

Seems like this post is about cars,, So my favorite car was a Vauxhall Cresta, 1958 epic series, very smooth 2.2 6cyl, 3 speed colunm change, bench front seat, a very basic car, but very reliable and roomy, the roomy bit being based on a yank tank i suppose..

Worst, well, i always wanted an 1800 Marina auto, when i got one i couldnt get rid of it, some nights i would leave on the road with the keys in and interior light on, eventually it was nicked, but the next night it reappeared, no fuel and loads of dents, so i scrapped it..

The Cresta in its day was the fastest 0 to 60 Car tested by Autocar, It was 5.9 secs, That was with a 3 Speed Auto as well.

As for Auto Boxes, only Z.F and Borg Warner have made good ones. Carlotti and Hewland for Manual IMO. Is their a Good Word for the Marina ?, thats sick, the theif returned it.:D

Well, I guess I have the benefit of youth (if 37 is young, heh).. I spent the first few years of my driving life in company cars (the first couple worse than the VIOS I might add, but they don't count right), and it wasn't until I was 20 before I bought my first 'own' car (a Skyline GT-R). So I don't have any stories to tell of clunkers from the 60's, 70's (or worse) the 80's ;)

Agree that the City os a better drive than the VIOS, but it if I had owned one, it would still sit as my worst car ;)

MRO,I think you may have enjoyed the Fairlady i had a while ago, Now that turned heads in Bkk , but Her in Doors got a bit uperty about it ,show off an all that, it wasnt too discrete i must admitt, but it shifted.

The Cresta in its day was the fastest 0 to 60 Car tested by Autocar, It was 5.9 secs, That was with a 3 Speed Auto as well.

As for Auto Boxes, only Z.F and Borg Warner have made good ones. Carlotti and Hewland for Manual IMO. Is their a Good Word for the Marina ?, thats sick, the theif returned it.:D

Think your a little out with the 0 - 60 time by about 10 seconds. :lol:

Best: BMW 330 Coupe .... great drive and just such a good, solid, quality car .... so good it was almost boring if you see what I mean.

Worst:: Triumph Herald Estate (Still trying to block it from my memory)

But most fun .... a Toyota Celica 2000 GT Liftback. Looked like a small Mustang and was fast .... one of the first Japanese mass market twin cams with two twin barrel carbs and scary handling. I was young and this car helped me to impress girls ... or so I thought at the time.

Best car was my first:

1969 Pontiac Beamont (Think Chevrolet Chevele with a different grill) 350CI/350HP, 3 speed automatic consol shift, bucket seats, from the factory. I was the man when I pulled into the high school parking lot grade 12 year with that baby. When I left school and started work on a road construction crew every dollar went into that car untill it was a 525hp 6500RPM screamer. Took out lots of big block dodges with it.

Worst decision: Had the chance to buy a 1969 Camaro 427CI 4 speed stick shift still with the dealer stickers in the rear window. Price $8,000. Bought a HD Sturgis twin belt drive instead. I could retire with what that car would bring at a Barret Jackson auction.

Worst car: 1968 Ford El Rancho 390CI. The frost plugs blew out driving it home and cooked the engine, and then sold it for scrap

Best car was my first:

1969 Pontiac Beamont (Think Chevrolet Chevele with a different grill) 350CI/350HP, 3 speed automatic consol shift, bucket seats, from the factory. I was the man when I pulled into the high school parking lot grade 12 year with that baby. When I left school and started work on a road construction crew every dollar went into that car untill it was a 525hp 6500RPM screamer. Took out lots of big block dodges with it.

Worst decision: Had the chance to buy a 1969 Camaro 427CI 4 speed stick shift still with the dealer stickers in the rear window. Price $8,000. Bought a HD Sturgis twin belt drive instead. I could retire with what that car would bring at a Barret Jackson auction.

Worst car: 1968 Ford El Rancho 390CI. The frost plugs blew out driving it home and cooked the engine, and then sold it for scrap

525 hp out of a 350 Pontiac motor, very difficult. :huh:

Correction, didn't know they put Chevy lumps in them back then.

Edited by transam

Best car was my first:

The Beaumont was a Chevelle with a different grille made by Pontiac. All the running gear was Chevvy. It was made and sold only in Canada. The 350CI came with a blue block 300HP and orange block 350HP option. Mine was the orange block.

I spent every penny I earned for 3 years working on a paving crew on the motor. The engine didn't have an original part on it when I finished. The boys at Pacemaker Automotive that built it over the years kept telling me to keep it drivable, but I just wanted more power. In the end I had a car that was completly impractiable for street driving but could melt the tire going down mainstreet.

Best car was my first:

The Beaumont was a Chevelle with a different grille made by Pontiac. All the running gear was Chevvy. It was made and sold only in Canada. The 350CI came with a blue block 300HP and orange block 350HP option. Mine was the orange block.

I spent every penny I earned for 3 years working on a paving crew on the motor. The engine didn't have an original part on it when I finished. The boys at Pacemaker Automotive that built it over the years kept telling me to keep it drivable, but I just wanted more power. In the end I had a car that was completly impractiable for street driving but could melt the tire going down mainstreet.

O -60 mph, not far out at all. it remained in the top 5 for at least 2 years.

Suprised everyone,it was near a Lotus time.

O -60 mph, not far out at all. it remained in the top 5 for at least 2 years.

Suprised everyone,it was near a Lotus time.

The Cresta did 0-60 mph in around 16 seconds depending on 2.2 or 2.6, bit different to 5.9 eh. :huh::D

The Cresta did 0-60 mph in around 16 seconds depending on 2.2 or 2.6, bit different to 5.9 eh. :huh::D

Well, you guys are talking imperial speeds, so perhaps 'star is quoting imperial seconds? :blink::lol:

Either that or he's using McDonalds time (you know, that several minute wait that comes right after: "your order will be ready in 60 seconds sir") :D

before my time, but curious, one like this?

250px-Vauxhall_cresta_pa_sideon_arp.jpg

from Wiki: A PA tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1958 had a top speed of 89.8 mph (144.5 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 16.8 seconds.

from Wiki: A PA tested by the British magazine The Motor in 1958 had a top speed of 89.8 mph (144.5 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 16.8 seconds.

Yeh but wandrinster's had nitrous oxide injection. :lol:

Yeh but wandrinster's had nitrous oxide injection. :lol:

The last Cresta P.C. was a 123 Bhp . 3294cc. With GM 3 Speed Auto. Mickey Mouse wares a Star Watch, it was 12.6 . 0-60. i was miles out on time, but it Was amongst the fastest

in its Day. The Impala was similar later on, bouncy bouncy, now we have jelly moulds, no character any more. :(:D

Worst: 1978 FIAT (Fix It Again Tony) 128SL. What a piece of crap, bought it from a friend?????????

Best: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Freedom. The model Freedom was basically a standard Cherokee Sport with all the extra's that a Grand would have in the Sport model. Only a handful were made and sold. What a great ride. Snow, floods, rain, ice. It could do it all. I miss that Jeep :( Sold it to a good friend with 170K miles and still going strong, almost perfect condition.:)

Worst: 1978 FIAT (Fix It Again Tony) 128SL. What a piece of crap, bought it from a friend?????????

Best: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Freedom. The model Freedom was basically a standard Cherokee Sport with all the extra's that a Grand would have in the Sport model. Only a handful were made and sold. What a great ride. Snow, floods, rain, ice. It could do it all. I miss that Jeep :( Sold it to a good friend with 170K miles and still going strong, almost perfect condition.:)

They look like the Lada the Russian Car. Were those Jeep Cherokees fuel guzlers.?. The ones here are.

They look like the Lada the Russian Car. Were those Jeep Cherokees fuel guzlers.?. The ones here are.

Really the whole thread is saying so far you only get what you pay for ??

I got 20 MPG, about 50/50 mountain pass highways and city driving.4.0L straight 6.

Edited by Shot

I got 20 MPG, about 50/50 mountain pass highways and city driving.4.0L straight 6.

Thats realy good, i dont know what engine was in my mates Chief Super Flashy one, but he got 7 to 12.. At least we can remember all these Quirky Cars, the next gen will have our old jelly moulds.

Il never forget the first time i saw a Sierra, i nearly chucked up.. :bah:

You could include Ex Wives Cars . How many of us had to Buy Down just to get the Old Nagger a Ride. T.P.s Nova coment just reminded me, it was like a small Cruze to drive, flat as a Witches Tit .., you dreamed of owning a Milk Float . So far i like everyones Fav, perhaps thats because Tunas were not Wallowing around then.:D

My ex-wife wouldn't stand for anything down on my ride, after the divorce settlement my ex-wife bought her own car.

post-87530-0-72627100-1316155982_thumb.j

:boring::realangry:

You could include Ex Wives Cars . How many of us had to Buy Down just to get the Old Nagger a Ride. T.P.s Nova coment just reminded me, it was like a small Cruze to drive, flat as a Witches Tit .., you dreamed of owning a Milk Float . So far i like everyones Fav, perhaps thats because Tunas were not Wallowing around then.:D

My ex-wife wouldn't stand for anything down on my ride, after the divorce settlement my ex-wife bought her own car.

She wasnt Thai then,or it would have been a Stretched Vigo, with Ghetto Wheels.:D

Cripes, l married your ex. :o

Really the whole thread is saying so far you only get what you pay for ??

No...... I have owned a Citroen 2CV, a very old Bedford CF van and a Fiat 124, all 2nd hand and very cheap all utterly reliable.... also owned cheap cars that just maybe you would get where your going, likewise with 2 near new car, constant breakdowns, sold within a few months.

When I bought my 1st car 1965, no-one would go anywhere without a tool kit and a boot full of parts, a blanket and pillow encase you could not fix or was dark :D things have changed a lots since then.

Worst:: Triumph Herald Estate (Still trying to block it from my memory)

Yikes, you have just reminded me, I had one of them. It was in such poor condtion I painted it orange with a paintbrush, managed to sell it at night, the new owner loved the paint job. :whistling:

I was just waiting for his call the following day once he had seen all the brushstrokes , but it never came

Another satisfied customer :lol:

^ had a gf whose father had an old and tired Triumph Herald, he'd taken the roof off and we'd borrow it for trips to the beach, when cornered hard the outside door would pop open; I used to put the drivers seat back as far as it would go, she'd put the passenger one right forward, at 6'3" I could still reach the wheel and pedals while appearing to be seated in the back seat of a driverless car. Apart from that, it went well mos of the time.

All these recollections.. First time i noticed a different car was a Borgward. The Owner was a Spy naturaly , any Foreigner was to a 10 year old after the War. He had this Coupe Sports, it was silver, thus proving he was a Spy, all Brit Cars were Black, or Toilet Wall Green. I was a bit pissed off when Grandpappy told me he was a Polish Pilot .I can still remember how unique it looked. .My Dad had a small Lanchester, that did have Leather Seats as Standard, and Ponged of Sheroots. Ahhh...Memories......:jap: