Non O Requirements

hi there. i am currently in uk and my Thai partner and children have gone out to Thailand.(she came on a six month tourist visa which expired)i will be joining them shortly and wish to stay in Thailand for around 7 or 8 months before returning to uk as we have a property in Thailand in my partners name.i have done this many times before and always had a non o visa for 1 year(multiple entry) and usually stay around 6 ,7 or 8 months.i rang the Thai consulate in uk and asked what certificates i needed in order to get my visa.i was told that because i'm not married to my partner i could only apply for a tourist visa.the woman i spoke to seemed to think i may get a multiple entry non o if i sent copies of my two children's Thai birth certificates and a copy of my partners Thai id card. but she said she could not guarantee this as the rules are changing all the time.i have never been asked to provide this before only a letter stating that the reasons for travelling to Thailand i.e. visiting family.does anyone have any info on this.will i get a multiple entry non o if i send copy of the birth certificates and id card?or would i be better applying for a tourist visa.i would like to spend the winter in my house and return to the uk permanently on a marriage settlement visa) after that as my son will be starting school in the uk next year.it seems to be getting harder and harder to get visa for Thailand now.any information on the non o visa would be greatly appreciated.

You may, and I stress MAY, be able to get the Non-O on the basis that you are named as the father on the Birth certificate.

I got my original single entry 'O' visa with only the birth certificate in Penang, Malaysia (I didn't try for the multiple).

Not sure what consulate you are using but they are run as businesses and earning out of giving Visa's, maybe a tourist Visa earns them more.

I would recommend entering on the Non-O, it gives you so much more privilege than a tourist visa, you can convert to 1 year extension and open a bank account etc..

From The Hull Consul Website. "Visiting family working/living in Thailand" should work.

Category “O”

Married to a Thai national

Evidence required if married in Thailand: Copies of Original Thai Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

Evidence required if married in UK: Copies of Original UK Marriage Certificate and Thai ID Card or Thai Passport.

or

Visiting family working/living in Thailand

Evidence required: Birth/Marriage Certificate to show relationship plus letter from relative confirming they are in Thailand

together with copy of valid entry visa in their passport or copy of valid work permit..

or

Volunteer work

Evidence required: Suitable letter from Registered Charity.

or

Visiting Thailand as Pensioner

Evidence required: Copy of Bank Statement showing receipt of State and/or Private Pension .

or

Visiting Thailand as retired person aged 50 years and over

Evidence required: Copy of bank statement showing income of minimum £900.00 per month.

You may be able to obtain with proof of being a parent of a Thai child in UK but most consulates in the local area would only provide a single entry non immigrant O visa entry expecting you to extend if supporting children. Believe it would be worth the effort to try - at the least you should get single for 3 months - that could be extended for 60 days to visit family and then obtain a new visa from Loas/Cambodia/Malaysia for remainder of visit.

Hi,

I got a multiple entry O visa from Hull last month, they said that all I needed was to send them a copy of the birth certificate of my daughter, preferably translated into English.

I also sent them a letter from my partner with a copy of her ID card on the letter, signed by her, stating she relied on my support. I sent the application through the post on a Monday and received the visa on the following Wednesday.

Hope this helps.