Balloon Fever

steveolevi

I overheard some Thais talking about a new fever from Malaysia calling it "Kai Wat luk pong" Balloon fever?? I'm not sure about the details as my Thai is just basic. I asked about it, but I didn't understand the story. With flu season and flu shot time coming soon I want to know if I should be concerned about this. I tried to get shots a couple years ago at Chiang Mai Ram hospital when there was a flu outbreak, but was told that the vaccine was in short supply and I would have to wait. I want to get the necessary shots this time. Anyone know about this balloon fever??

The people that I heard talking about this were talking about their children missing school, and having general flu like symptoms (mai sabai). They were describing how a balloon(luk pohng)is blown up and stretches. Maybe what I couldn't understand is what they were describing something being "puffed up" or "swollen."

The people that I heard talking about this were talking about their children missing school, and having general flu like symptoms (mai sabai). They were describing how a balloon(luk pohng)is blown up and stretches. Maybe what I couldn't understand is what they were describing something being "puffed up" or "swollen."

I can confirm that at my place of work there have been people falling sick, the number appears to be getting higher by the day, five have been hit since Monday, very worrying stuff. If anyone knows of a hospital with a vaccine please let me know as I'm very worried, I've heard it's pretty contagious.

from the back seat...

Pillion

Edited by Pillion

Commonly known to us farang as mumps...apparently lots of younger Thai guys have caught it here in Phuket the last 2 or 3 weeks......kaang-tuum in Thai

This definately not mumps. I've heard of a quite a few cases of this going around Chiang Mai. From what I heard it's to with the Malaysian rubber becoming contaminated with a fungus or bacteria. Some have said this was due to floods in the rubber plants. So it seems stevolevi's Thai translation was accurate. Thankfully it's nothing it's 'swollen testicle flu'! Though, still not sure how symptoms differ from bird or swine flu.

Commonly known to us farang as mumps...apparently lots of younger Thai guys have caught it here in Phuket the last 2 or 3 weeks......kaang-tuum in Thai

This definately not mumps. I've heard of a quite a few cases of this going around Chiang Mai. From what I heard it's to with the Malaysian rubber becoming contaminated with a fungus or bacteria. Some have said this was due to floods in the rubber plants. So it seems stevolevi's Thai translation was accurate. Thankfully it's nothing it's 'swollen testicle flu'! Though, still not sure how symptoms differ from bird or swine flu.

That could be the connection. My work had a party on Friday night with lots of balloons, not sure where they're from though, I hope they're not from Malaysia, I even helped to blow some up. Do you think I'm at a great risk????? Really don't want it as it sounds very unpleasant.

... snip ...From what I heard it's to with the Malaysian rubber becoming contaminated with a fungus or bacteria. Some have said this was due to floods in the rubber plants. ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun MassivePuffin,

Interesting; I wonder what the transmission vector would be from Malaysian rubber to Chiang Mai people.

best, ~o:37;

A little research on my own tells me that maybe the balloons did not come from Malaysia, but from inside Thailand. I don't want to be judgemental, but is seems that maybe some Thais are trying to blame it on Malaysians. It don't think Thais would do that. I'm still looking into this. I'm hearing about more people coming down with flu like symptoms and I'm not yet satisfied with the answers I'm getting

A little research on my own tells me that maybe the balloons did not come from Malaysia, but from inside Thailand. I don't want to be judgemental, but is seems that maybe some Thais are trying to blame it on Malaysians. It don't think Thais would do that. I'm still looking into this. I'm hearing about more people coming down with flu like symptoms and I'm not yet satisfied with the answers I'm getting

Neither would I be satisfied, consulting here, asking 'the world and his wife'. \

I strongly suggest consulting a qualified medical practioner. And not at Ram.

Rajavej, opposite the Holiday Inn, is excellent, reliable and reasonably priced. An enormous contrast in every way!