Did You Show "Signs" As A Child?

Jingthing

Chinese boys were traditionally brought up as girls, wearing girls' clothes, to a certain age in order to avert 'bad luck'.

I've never heard this before, quote interesting. The Chinese people I know consider a boy good luck. I'd be interested in at least a link to a website confirming this tradition.

But, thinking about this, if every boy wore girls' clothes, what then would girls' clothes be? Wouldn't they automatically be called boys' clothes?

If every boy wore a skirt, you would just consider a skirt a boys' apparel.

Several posters have misinterpreted something I posted, so time again to explicate: I have consistently noticed, across different countries and native languages, that interest in French by non-native-speaking males (to the point of studying several years as a child) is a good indicator. Nothing to do with foreign languages in general. Your mileage may vary.

Chinese boys were traditionally brought up as girls, wearing girls' clothes, to a certain age in order to avert 'bad luck'. One friend of mine who was brought up this way did turn out gay... but subsequently he got married for family reasons, and has two sons of whom he is inordinately proud.

Huh? What do you mean? All Chinese boys or Chinese boys of a certain class, subgroup? I don't see this as very relevant to this topic. If kids are being forced to dress a certain way as a normal societal pattern, it doesn't come from what they feel like doing themselves. Nothing like a boy growing up who decides on his own accord to raid his Mama's makeup drawer. Of course there are deviant cases. I remember a kid growing up who it was clear had an insane mother, who couldn't accept she had a boy instead of a girl, and made the kid wear girl's clothes to school. You could tell he was deeply suffering and not into it.

Not all, JT (China is far too big and diverse for anything there to be 'all'). Upper class families, where inheritance was an issue. The one I knew was Shanghainese, but I have heard of it among Cantonese as well.

Several posters have misinterpreted something I posted, so time again to explicate: I have consistently noticed, across different countries and native languages, that interest in French by non-native-speaking males (to the point of studying several years as a child) is a good indicator. Nothing to do with foreign languages in general. Your mileage may vary.

I've never heard this before. Ever. But then, I grew up in a country neighbouring France, and it was common sense to learn languages of neighbouring countries. We had the choice of French and Latin as the second foreign language (English was mandatory) and unfortunately, I took Latin. French would have been much more useful, and I had to learn it later on.

In S.E.Asia and Africa, it used to be (and often still is) useful to learn French rather than English if you deal with former French colonies.

In Canada it is a good idea to learn French if you plan to deal with Quebec (even though I can't understand their French).

In Switzerland, French is the first foreign language you learn at school if you live in the German-speaking part.

Where in the world (and I mean that) did you consistently notice that mainly gay males would strive to learn the French language?

From a US perspective on the popular languages --

German -- very butch, Aryan roots types, also business types

Chinese -- business types looking to enhance their MBA, move to Shanghai, get richer

Spanish -- practical people as US is going bilingual

French -- more likely interested in literature, culture, food (not considered a very practical choice) ... hmmmm

Edited by Jingthing

From a US perspective on the popular languages --

German -- very butch, Aryan roots types, also business types

Chinese -- business types looking to enhance their MBA, move to Shanghai, get richer

Spanish -- practical people as US is going bilingual

French -- more likely interested in literature, culture, food (not considered a very practical choice) ... hmmmm

Thanks for the US perspective.

Over here in Thailand, I conduct business in German, English, Spanish and Thai on a regular basis.

If my customer is not fluent in those language, I'll try French, Italian, Chinese (Mandarin) and Dutch.

Explain how this has to do with being gay, as I know straight people who speak more languages than I do.

Edited by tombkk

Sorry, but your explication is still pretty bizarre to anyone schooled in the UK or who has worked with the UN. Although there are now many other options (Bengali, Mandarin Chinese, Russian, etc) French is still by far the most common "second language" taught in British schools and is the automatically applied choice for those who do not express another modern language preference.

Within the UN there are 6 official languages (Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish) but only two (English and French) are working languages in all UN departments.

I am not questioning your experience at all, I am simply (and genuinely) amazed that learning French would be considered a "good indicator". In the UK all a lack of ability to speak at least basic French would indicate would be a lack of education (unless that is an indication of being straight ....)

I've never heard this before. Ever.....

Where in the world (and I mean that) did you consistently notice that mainly gay males would strive to learn the French language?

Good question, Tom.

At my Prep school I learnt French (as everyone else did) and had done a year of German before I went to Public (High) school, where Latin and French were compulsory to GCE 'O' level.

I just can't follow this at all, unless Miss Piggy's "pretentious, moi?" was somehow gay inspired.

Tom- try the American Southeast (exclusive of Louisiana).

Or Japan- my last bf there was a French major surrounded by girls, and another friend of mine who was in a foreign language college was one of only two boys in the French section.

Or, well, Thailand- the school system here often has 'French' as the 'other' foreign language option, and there's a pretty clear tendency among boys who choose that track.

Tom- try the American Southeast (exclusive of Louisiana).

Or Japan- my last bf there was a French major surrounded by girls, and another friend of mine who was in a foreign language college was one of only two boys in the French section.

Or, well, Thailand- the school system here often has 'French' as the 'other' foreign language option, and there's a pretty clear tendency among boys who choose that track.

I have no experience with French-learning locals in any of these three countries. It should be interesting to find some comparison between Thais learning French, Spanish, German or other languages (Chinese, Russian) apart from English, and whether there are relatively more gays in the French classes.

Do you know anybody who studies social sciences and his looking for the title for his Masters or PhD thesis?

• 2 months later...

Oh gosh where do I start? :)

I used to play hairdresser with my younger brothers hair when I was about 8-9

Also I made my Mother laugh by do the "Are you being served" Mr.Humphries walk.

Mr Humphries

Plus i used to do Frank Spencer "Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em" (Michael Crawford) Impersonations.

On a school Bus trip(@13) Caboolture to Darwin we stopped at Mt Isa and I asked a girl to put make-up on my face & red lipstick and performed a few phrases in front of maybe 50 locals that were asked to see a few students do acts.

I won favourite performer :)

Frank Spencer

Or When I was about 10 I sang "Tie a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree" to a classroom. Not gay enough? Ok I better stop :lol:

Edited by LindsayBKK

• 3 weeks later...

If it's allowed to be mentioned, I was SHOCKED when I first saw a video of a girl expressing interest in the "backdoor".

I thought with mutual anatomy in this situation, maybe this is something that I'm missing out on.

Darn kids and their internetz, I learned too much too quick. I found a quick favor for "hermaphrodites" before middle school, and that ended it all.

I will add, that I was not comfortable with transsexuals for a long time in my early youth, since they were "icky" and were technically men at birth.

It didn't take long to understand that intersexed people were under a great burdon from society from the time of birth, and to accept that all forms of transgenderism were legit forms of latent physiology intended for said person.

Edited by CoconutMayhem