Bloggers hung from bridge in northern Mexico for using social media

News_Editor

Bloggers hung from bridge in northern Mexico for using social media

2011-09-15 05:52:20 GMT+7 (ICT)

NUEVO LAREDO, MEXICO (BNO NEWS) -- The bodies of two people believed to be bloggers have been found hanging from a pedestrian bridge in the city of Nuevo Laredo in northern Mexico, local media reported on Wednesday.

The bodies of a man and a woman, both under 25, were found on Tuesday morning, hanging from a bridge by their hands and feet and showing signs of torture. The bodies have not yet been identified, according to El Universal newspaper.

Two posters were left near the bodies, accusing the victims of using social networks to denounce crimes and drug cartels. "This is going to happen to all of those posting funny things on the internet," one of the posters said.

The posters were signed with the letter "Z," a likely reference to the Los Zetas drug cartel. The criminal organization, which was founded by deserters from the Mexican Army Special Forces as well as Guatemalan soldiers, began as the enforcer gang for the Gulf Cartel specialized in brutal assassinations, including beheading and mutilations.

The United States Drug Enforcement Administration considers the Los Zetas drug cartel responsible for much of the escalation of violence along its Southwest Border. The group is known for its use of extreme violence against law enforcement officials, innocent citizens, informants, and rival drug gangs.

The murders of the bloggers is possibly the first time that social media users have been targeted directly. Earlier this month, two female journalists were found murdered in a park in a suburb south of Mexico City.

A total of eight journalists have been killed so far this year and at least 74 since 2000. Reporters Without Borders has said more and more journalists are facing the choice between exile or self-censorship.

According to government figures, a total of 15,273 drug-related crimes occurred in Mexico in 2010, while more than 42,000 people have died in drug-related violence since Mexican President Felipe Calderón began his campaign to fight organized crime in December 2006.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-09-15

An indirect result of America's failed 'War on Drugs' That's not to say bad people will stop being bad, but it's saying;

criminalizing all drugs other than alcohol will embolden and enrich the biggest drug dealers. By seeing the possibility of gaining such riches, very bad things happen, like the average 30 drug-related killings in Mexico each day.

If drugs were legalized (in the States, at least), it would not be such an intensely bad situation (as it is now), as it would cut out much of the drug dealers' income and power base.

Some countries like the Netherlands, have figured it out. Other countries like the US and Thailand, are still dealing with all drugs (including hemp, which is not a drug) like evil incarnate, - thus ongoing mega problems stem from that.

Example: Imagine if the drug dealing Africans infesting Nana Plaza area couldn't compete with the lower price/ higher quality of the same drugs sold by a gov't agency. In a week, the drug dealers there would would have to leave or find something legal to peddle. In the meantime, the people who continue to buy drugs (from the gov't) could be monitored and dealt with as addicts/patients, rather than as criminal vermin - as they're currently dealt with.

So, let's see, the US should legalize drugs so that Mexico doesn't have a crime problem? The drug cartels will just fade away? With that type of thinking, then the current economic woes should cure all illegal immigration.

Actually a few years ago the economist did a very good piece on the case for legalizing all drugs. I happen to agree with this as you can never win a war on drugs where the rewards will forever attract more dealers. Mexico now is like a giant version of 20's Chicago, scary indeed.

But I think we are talking about two different things. First is the legalization of drugs and second is the crime situation in Mexico.

I can't argue with legalization of drugs, particularly the ones considered more benign. If the US does it, it needs to be done because it's considered in the best interest of the US, not because of rampant crime in Mexico. The war on drugs, if it can be won, which I doubt, will have to be limited to a much smaller pool of illegal substances.

A fair number of these corrupt, poorer countries do little about their crime problem, until it is too late. These cartels are well organized, rich, strong, powerful and well connected to people in the government. Legalize drugs and they will fund themselves another way. The mafia established itself as a force to be reckoned with during Prohibition. The end of Prohibition, however, wasn't the end of the Mafia.

But I think we are talking about two different things. First is the legalization of drugs and second is the crime situation in Mexico.

I can't argue with legalization of drugs, particularly the ones considered more benign. If the US does it, it needs to be done because it's considered in the best interest of the US, not because of rampant crime in Mexico. The war on drugs, if it can be won, which I doubt, will have to be limited to a much smaller pool of illegal substances.

A fair number of these corrupt, poorer countries do little about their crime problem, until it is too late. These cartels are well organized, rich, strong, powerful and well connected to people in the government. Legalize drugs and they will fund themselves another way. The mafia established itself as a force to be reckoned with during Prohibition. The end of Prohibition, however, wasn't the end of the Mafia.

"

This is going to happen to all of those posting funny things on the internet," one of the posters said.

You have been warned, TV posters!!

What's Spanish for Fatwa? :ph34r:

Actually freedom of speech protected by the anonymity of the internet is the last line of defense against tyranny. I presume the two victims were careless enough to reveal their identities, if not there's the scary Orwellian possibility that the drug cartels tracked them down through other means.

Edited by Steely Dan

So, let's see, the US should legalize drugs so that Mexico doesn't have a crime problem? The drug cartels will just fade away? With that type of thinking, then the current economic woes should cure all illegal immigration.

I think we agree on most aspects of this problem of whether or not to enact a less insane drug policy. However, it's not a black and white situation. In other words, it can't be; 'if you do such 'n such, then all drug and mafia problems will disappear.' It's like treating an infection, it has to be done in stages or to degrees. Hydrogen Pyroxide works with minor infections, yet with Staph, a stronger medicine is needed. If Uncle Sam was a surgeon and the drug problem were compared to an infection, he would go about burning it out with a blowtorch.

Legalization is not going to end the drug problem, but it's going to get on the path to dealing with drug users as patients in need of help, instead of as criminal vermin. Legalization is going to go a lot farther toward fixing the problem than war, but humans have always been a drug using species, so that basic fact isn't going to change. If in doubt, do a calculation on how much alcohol is drunk on any given day worldwide.

To use the mafia analogy. The mafia was doing a lot of bad things before, during and after prohibition. However, during prohibition, it had a whole new source of empowerment and revenue (sales of illegal and often toxic liquor). When prohibition ended, the mafia was left with one less illegal way to enrich themselves. So again, it's not a black and white scenario.