How Many Ppl Listen To Music While Riding?

alexpoker

I was side by side with a Nissan Navarro yesterday doing 130kph, he didn't want to let me pass, and i didn't hear a thing. Passed a slower bike on my left and got sandwiched between the two and the only thing i could hear was myself saying 'oh shit'.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started riding there was no such thing as a sony walkman let alone an iPod so I rode for years without tunes. Now I ride with tunes all the time that I don't have a pillion. If I have a pillion I like to be able to hear them scream. I think it is a bit dangerous to ride with tunes blaring but when I ride I am very conscious of the fact I can't hear with the ear buds in, so I have my head on a swivel. Motorcycle mirrors generally suck but I do use them.

I also try to keep a pace faster than most traffic so I am overtaken rarely but you still gotta check. It could just happen to be the day that little Somchai is out taking his dad's Porsche out for a spin and is overtaking you at 250 km/hr when you pull out into the passing lane thinking you are the fastest mo-fo out there. You always gotta check.

When I get at all fatigued the music gets turned off and I use ear plugs. I find standard in ear foam plugs great for damping wind noise and engine noise but they don't seem to impact my overall hearing. If anything they seem to heighten my hearing of higher pitch things like tires on concrete, horns, etc.

Granted I might be a bit of a "special" case I have hearing loss in the mid range from childhood so the earplugs might just normal me out.

+1 On my way back from BKK to CNX a white Skyline passed me going about180 kph, never heard a single thing.

Mirror and head swivel is the best protection. I can turn my head farther to the right then to the left now ...;)

When I first started riding there was no such thing as a sony walkman let alone an iPod so I rode for years without tunes. Now I ride with tunes all the time that I don't have a pillion. If I have a pillion I like to be able to hear them scream. I think it is a bit dangerous to ride with tunes blaring but when I ride I am very conscious of the fact I can't hear with the ear buds in, so I have my head on a swivel. Motorcycle mirrors generally suck but I do use them.

I also try to keep a pace faster than most traffic so I am overtaken rarely but you still gotta check. It could just happen to be the day that little Somchai is out taking his dad's Porsche out for a spin and is overtaking you at 250 km/hr when you pull out into the passing lane thinking you are the fastest mo-fo out there. You always gotta check.

When I get at all fatigued the music gets turned off and I use ear plugs. I find standard in ear foam plugs great for damping wind noise and engine noise but they don't seem to impact my overall hearing. If anything they seem to heighten my hearing of higher pitch things like tires on concrete, horns, etc.

Granted I might be a bit of a "special" case I have hearing loss in the mid range from childhood so the earplugs might just normal me out.

Hilarious. This is the same reason I don't listen to music with a passenger. It muffles the screams of terror. The terrified grip, that never changes.

I tried the fad of music in my helmet in my earlier days of riding. I was never endeared to it, as I really wanted to hear the engine and the normal noises of riding a motorcycle. I don't wear ear plugs either and my hearing is fine. Though, if I was racing a motorcycle, I would probably wear ear plugs. A rumbling twin is music to my ears.

three things: you ride a 999 evidently - thatsa belissimo aria all by itself. second, in time your hearing will be [further, to the point you actually notice it] damaged if you ride highway speeds w/o good (-33Db) earplugs. Ask me how I know. oh, and third: anybody who rides with tunes is disconnecting one of their main senses from The Ride - dangerous, and it misses the point of riding.

Have a scala bleutooth headset built in and stream music,as well as my phone, through my Garmin Zumo.I will always use it on long trips as it relaxes,I prefer to ride alone or with 3 people maximum.

Relaxing doesn't mean not being alert to other traffic as I will constantly switch my view from the road to the mirrors and back.

I tried the fad of music in my helmet in my earlier days of riding. I was never endeared to it, as I really wanted to hear the engine and the normal noises of riding a motorcycle. I don't wear ear plugs either and my hearing is fine. Though, if I was racing a motorcycle, I would probably wear ear plugs. A rumbling twin is music to my ears.

three things: you ride a 999 evidently - thatsa belissimo aria all by itself. second, in time your hearing will be [further, to the point you actually notice it] damaged if you ride highway speeds w/o good (-33Db) earplugs. Ask me how I know. oh, and third: anybody who rides with tunes is disconnecting one of their main senses from The Ride - dangerous, and it misses the point of riding.

I've been working on gas turbines and turbine driven aircraft for over 30 years. Some of my low frequency hearing is down after all this time,even though I regularly wear ear plugs, black noise muffs etc. I have a quality helmet with good sound deadening qualities, so my hearing will be fine.. Though that's a different story as one would expect if I lift the visor. On the street for myself, absolutely no need for me to wear ear plugs. People standing around the bike and driving / riding beside it may have a different opinion. My apologies for the testastretta symphony :D

Ive been in the car audio industry for 20 years, in 150 + db environments and my hearing is still very acute. It's the higher pitched frequencies that will cause hearing loss and tinitus. (sp)

i like just sticking my phone in my helmet and listening to music that way. while im riding music keeps me concentrated on the road and other cars (traffic).

ive also noticed i dont get mad or frustrated with the decisions that some people make on the road. most of all i enjoy the freedom that my bike gives me.

Yeah, sorry. i didn't mean to equate a nice Ducati basso aria with hearing loss. its the continuous wind noise on high speed rides, over the years that does the damage - with the best Arai helmet or without. for me, it happened over several decades of riding, and you dont think it'll happen til it knocks on your door. But by then, it wont leave. So, DON'T take it for granted. Earplugs are NO sacrifice whatsoever to your ride or useful hearing while riding. They enhance it by blocking the windblast.

Trust me, Tinitis is a non-stop, ringing pain in the arse, er ear. and is a real drag guys. You can't escape it in your waking hours, can't fall asleep at night without learning to ignore it, have to turn up the volume or treble on A/V to 'get' musical passages, conversations w/ background action, find your self turning your head to catch some sound or words. Get the plugs. Wear them. Oh, and I have no interest in selling you earplugs. Heres some good info, with references given at the bottom of the text.

Motorcycle Facts

Most motorcyclists understand the effects of a "silent killer" which follows them every time they enjoy riding their bikes. Unfortunately, several people still believe the causes of hearing loss are due to how loud the bike sounds, and/or that it affects only the people who do not wear full shell helmets. This is true to a certain degree.

Based on several research studies, the major contributor to hearing loss in the motorcycle industry remains the "silent killer" known as "wind noise." Generically termed as the amount of noise turbulence produced around the head while the rider is in motion. Its inherited consequences result in irreversible hearing loss damage over a period of time when adequate hearing protection is not worn.

Similar to the shooting and aviation industries, if this issue is not addressed correctly from the beginning the amount of exposure to the inner ear is compounded every time the rider ventures out on his/her bike for hours at a time. Constant duration of harmful level noises gradually force the rider into becoming another statistic of the "silent killer."

To put this in perspective, according to OSHA's regulation of industrial noise exposure, an average worker surrounded by levels around 85-90dB for an eight hour day will not exceed the limits of exposure time within a 24 hour period of time.

However, when the sound levels exceed 100dB, your exposure time is reduced to two hours. When sound levels exceed 115dB, your exposure time is drastically reduced to 15 minutes. This puts riding a bike a whole other realm as "wind noise" at highway speeds can measure up to 103dB, or comparable to a running chainsaw. At these levels the rider is not only fatiguing physically from the excess noise exposure, but it also puts him into a position of needing a hearing aid later in life.

Another common ailment of motorcycle riding is a condition known as "Temporary Threshold Shift," commonly referred to as TTS by audiologists and hearing healthcare professionals. TTS is caused by excessive noise exposure for a duration of time, which drops your actual acute hearing pattern to a lower level temporarily. Meaning, your hearing is less than what it was before the initial exposure. Continuous TTS exposure will result in permanent damage.

Everyone has experienced this phenomenon at one time or another, whether it is from going to loud dance halls, or concerts, or even work. Even some of today's movie theatres can cause this to happen, but this is a specific certainty for motorcyclists who disregard adequate hearing protection while riding their bike.

Riding position and style of windshield help in preventing "silent killers" ability to fully be experienced. But even the best helmets on today's marketplace provide little help when considering "wind noise" levels at normal highway speeds. Obviously, this factor is increased in half shell models as well as skullcaps, but the common helmets used in today's marketplace are designed to fit entirely over the head providing a snug fit. These types of helmets have the best attenuation value (reduction in noise) regardless of any airflow modifications done to the outside. But these helmets still produce wind noise readings of 110 to 116dB's, from 35mph to highway speeds. When reflecting back to the comparison chart, 116dB will only be suitable for 15 minutes of riding a day. Not a lot of time to enjoy your hobby.... Is it?

Although there are several versions of hearing protection devices on the market, a custom set of earmolds is still the best answer in suppressing sound. They provide excellent attenuation values and are comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. They can even be molded with high-grade transducers, which allow for stereo compatibility or communications. To find out more about these products search under our "Product Links" listed on the navigation bar.

We also suggest checking with your local state officials on the regulations of wearing hearing protection. Several states have motorcycle laws regarding earplug use. For a quick reference, see the AMA web pages on State Motorcycle Laws - www.ama-cycleDOTorg/roadride/road.asp.

• There is no significant difference in wind noise level as a function of speed, no matter what the helmet brand or model (all being full coverage).
  • Neither the riding position nor the brand or style of motorcycle make significant difference in noise level.
  • Padding inside the helmet, open or closed vents, or added weather stripping on the helmet to alter flow patterns, does not significantly alter the noise level in a helmet.
  • Stopped at a stop light at a busy intersection with your helmet visor closed produces a sound level of 80-90dB SPL. (Lawn mower, loud restaurant levels)
  • When not wearing a helmet, the wind noise at highway speed is nearly 10 times greater than when wearing a full coverage helmet.
  • Below 30mph, machine, exhaust and environmental noises are heard. Once speeds exceed approximately 30mph, wind noise dominates completely.
  • Some helmets resonate at approximately 500Hz, and actually enhance wind noise.
  • Legal speeds of 65mph can produce wind noise levels at 103dB SPL, (chainsaw, pneumatic drill). This noise is loud enough to cause TTS in your hearing, tinnitus and permanent ear damage.

Notations:

Do You Hear What I Hear, Parts 1 and 2/David L. Hough/MotorcycleWorld.com

Do You Hear What I Hear, Part 3/Norm Matzen/Motorcycle Consumer News, November 1999 Comparison Charts/A.W. McCombe, 1994

Noise Levels Under Motorcycle Helmets, Mike Lower, D.W. Hurst, A.R. Claughton and A. Thomas, 1994, 1996/ISVR Consultancy Services

motorcycle-graph1.gif

motorcycle-graph2.gif

Yeah, sorry. i didn't mean to equate a nice Ducati basso aria with hearing loss. its the continuous wind noise on high speed rides, over the years that does the damage - with the best Arai helmet or without. for me, it happened over several decades of riding, and you dont think it'll happen til it knocks on your door. But by then, it wont leave. So, DON'T take it for granted. Earplugs are NO sacrifice whatsoever to your ride or useful hearing while riding. They enhance it by blocking the windblast.

Trust me, Tinitis is a non-stop, ringing pain in the arse, er ear. and is a real drag guys. You can't escape it in your waking hours, can't fall asleep at night without learning to ignore it, have to turn up the volume or treble on A/V to 'get' musical passages, conversations w/ background action, find your self turning your head to catch some sound or words. Get the plugs. Wear them. Oh, and I have no interest in selling you earplugs. Heres some good info, from a medical doctor referral site, with references given at the bottom of the text. its at www.freehearingtestDOTcom/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml :

Motorcycle Facts

Most motorcyclists understand the effects of a "silent killer" which follows them every time they enjoy riding their bikes. Unfortunately, several people still believe the causes of hearing loss are due to how loud the bike sounds, and/or that it affects only the people who do not wear full shell helmets. This is true to a certain degree.

Based on several research studies, the major contributor to hearing loss in the motorcycle industry remains the "silent killer" known as "wind noise." Generically termed as the amount of noise turbulence produced around the head while the rider is in motion. Its inherited consequences result in irreversible hearing loss damage over a period of time when adequate hearing protection is not worn.

Similar to the shooting and aviation industries, if this issue is not addressed correctly from the beginning the amount of exposure to the inner ear is compounded every time the rider ventures out on his/her bike for hours at a time. Constant duration of harmful level noises gradually force the rider into becoming another statistic of the "silent killer."

To put this in perspective, according to OSHA's regulation of industrial noise exposure, an average worker surrounded by levels around 85-90dB for an eight hour day will not exceed the limits of exposure time within a 24 hour period of time.

However, when the sound levels exceed 100dB, your exposure time is reduced to two hours. When sound levels exceed 115dB, your exposure time is drastically reduced to 15 minutes. This puts riding a bike a whole other realm as "wind noise" at highway speeds can measure up to 103dB, or comparable to a running chainsaw. At these levels the rider is not only fatiguing physically from the excess noise exposure, but it also puts him into a position of needing a hearing aid later in life.

Another common ailment of motorcycle riding is a condition known as "Temporary Threshold Shift," commonly referred to as TTS by audiologists and hearing healthcare professionals. TTS is caused by excessive noise exposure for a duration of time, which drops your actual acute hearing pattern to a lower level temporarily. Meaning, your hearing is less than what it was before the initial exposure. Continuous TTS exposure will result in permanent damage.

Everyone has experienced this phenomenon at one time or another, whether it is from going to loud dance halls, or concerts, or even work. Even some of today's movie theatres can cause this to happen, but this is a specific certainty for motorcyclists who disregard adequate hearing protection while riding their bike.

Riding position and style of windshield help in preventing "silent killers" ability to fully be experienced. But even the best helmets on today's marketplace provide little help when considering "wind noise" levels at normal highway speeds. Obviously, this factor is increased in half shell models as well as skullcaps, but the common helmets used in today's marketplace are designed to fit entirely over the head providing a snug fit. These types of helmets have the best attenuation value (reduction in noise) regardless of any airflow modifications done to the outside. But these helmets still produce wind noise readings of 110 to 116dB's, from 35mph to highway speeds. When reflecting back to the comparison chart, 116dB will only be suitable for 15 minutes of riding a day. Not a lot of time to enjoy your hobby.... Is it?

Although there are several versions of hearing protection devices on the market, a custom set of earmolds is still the best answer in suppressing sound. They provide excellent attenuation values and are comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. They can even be molded with high-grade transducers, which allow for stereo compatibility or communications. To find out more about these products search under our "Product Links" listed on the navigation bar.

We also suggest checking with your local state officials on the regulations of wearing hearing protection. Several states have motorcycle laws regarding earplug use. For a quick reference, see the AMA web pages on State Motorcycle Laws - www.ama-cycleDOTorg/roadride/road.asp.

• There is no significant difference in wind noise level as a function of speed, no matter what the helmet brand or model (all being full coverage).
  • Neither the riding position nor the brand or style of motorcycle make significant difference in noise level.
  • Padding inside the helmet, open or closed vents, or added weather stripping on the helmet to alter flow patterns, does not significantly alter the noise level in a helmet.
  • Stopped at a stop light at a busy intersection with your helmet visor closed produces a sound level of 80-90dB SPL. (Lawn mower, loud restaurant levels)
  • When not wearing a helmet, the wind noise at highway speed is nearly 10 times greater than when wearing a full coverage helmet.
  • Below 30mph, machine, exhaust and environmental noises are heard. Once speeds exceed approximately 30mph, wind noise dominates completely.
  • Some helmets resonate at approximately 500Hz, and actually enhance wind noise.
  • Legal speeds of 65mph can produce wind noise levels at 103dB SPL, (chainsaw, pneumatic drill). This noise is loud enough to cause TTS in your hearing, tinnitus and permanent ear damage.

Notations:

Do You Hear What I Hear, Parts 1 and 2/David L. Hough/MotorcycleWorld.com

Do You Hear What I Hear, Part 3/Norm Matzen/Motorcycle Consumer News, November 1999 Comparison Charts/A.W. McCombe, 1994

Noise Levels Under Motorcycle Helmets, Mike Lower, D.W. Hurst, A.R. Claughton and A. Thomas, 1994, 1996/ISVR Consultancy Services

motorcycle-graph1.gif

motorcycle-graph2.gif

Very interesting post above.

I rode without music this weekend for once, for some reason I felt much more tired from the ride when I got back home.

I think that it was from higher concentration and not being as relaxed from the music but could be wrong.

I must admit, this entire thread has got me thinking a lot about this subject.

All your going to hear at 120kph is wind and exhaust.

What a load of crap!!!!!

I can do more than that and still hear my iPod when I choose to use it.

If your bike is so loud that you can't hear anything but wind & exhaust then music is the least of your worries, either that or you could possibly consider using a better lid.

And thats on his Honda Wave 100 :whistling: .

What? I don't have no stinking Wave 100 ! :o

I still stand by my point that I can hardly hear anything else besides wind and exhaust at 120 kph. Much less a car pulling out of a soi that is idling.

Sorry not me chaps.......No: 1 i like all my senses when on the bike........ No: 2 Bad enough over here in Perth so Thailand......No Chance!!!!! No:3 i love the sound of my Buell V twin ;)

the plugs block the high frequencies more than the low, so you'll still hear your twin while reducing the wind blast - probably even better over 120kph. The plugs help you hear car/truck tires in your blindspot that you'll never hear over the wind w/o plugs.

FWIW, its a cheap experiment at a few dollars for a pack of plugs from a good drugstore or Big C. Basic foam 32 or 33 dB NR (noise reduction) factor are what I use, but some guys have custom plugs done - either with their earphones inserted or without.

I just tried using ear plugs today while riding. Those normal foam plugs that take off 30 DBs.

It feels kinda surreal like youre in a video game with the volume turned all the way down.

My experience was that I had less of a feeling with the tachometer as I couldnt hear it as well as I do when I dont use earplugs. I had to look down at it several times.

I was also less sensitive about revving up the engine more, as I would be when Im at a stop light. Most inhibitions I have about revving up too much as not to be an annoyance to others seems to go out the window when im wearing earplugs.

The biggest thing was def the tachometer tho. I do feel like Im driving while deaf.

I think that riding in BKK with headphones in is about the same as placing a noose around your neck and kicking your own chair.

Even if that were possible, I can think of quite a few differences...

I suspect you're one of "those" people that would be well advised to avoid motorbikes in any country, with or without headphones laugh.gif

Thanks for the pearl of wisdom though daftfader jap.gif

I use sound of chrome speaker with a I pod, Can hear the speakers with a open face helmet on up to 70 mph then theres to much wind noise. Love it on long trips

I have several bikes, my favorite is the chrome speaker Harley. Nothing like the sound of a well modified and fast V-twin.

After riding these monsters from the dark ages for over 20 years as well as racing bikes,shooting guns and working in the aviation industry as both a commercial pilot and aircraft maintenance engineer, I can vouch for the neccessity of hearing protection even though my hearing is very marginal in the left ear from shooting.

I rarely never ride without earplugs, my favorite being the EAR classics. I normally cruise at 12O-150+ on my Ninja and I wear a Shoei fullface.

You are kidding yourself if you enjoy music blared from a speaker at cruising speeds. The wind noise will negate anything above about 50Kmh.

Not to mention 120Kmh.

Those people that have suffered Tinninitus you will know what I am saying.

I think that riding in BKK with headphones in is about the same as placing a noose around your neck and kicking your own chair.

Obviously not a biker then. :)

I use headphones all the time around BKK.

Gosh.......sometimes I even use my mirrors! Now there's a concept. :)

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. :D

I used to ride listening to AC/DC, Led Zepellin, Metallica, Manowar and Megadeth on headphones.

I just woke up one day and decided to heed my mother-in-law's advice and stopped doing it.:)

Obviously not a biker then. :)

I use headphones all the time around BKK.

Gosh.......sometimes I even use my mirrors! Now there's a concept. :)

What are these mirrors you speak of?

Are they the adjustable nose picker reflectors you see some natives using?