Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

Even the working to middle classes in the West (educated and uneducated), are mostly aware of the main events in modern world history even if they don't know the specifics or the exact dates.

This is a completely inaccurate statement, unless you add "modern WESTERN world history." The vast majority of westerners know very little about Asian history...not to mention South American or African history. Surely you know this.

That maybe true or not, it hasn't been measured by you or anyone else as far as I know. However it is probably fair to say that if you took a broad section of society in any western nation against a broad section of Thai society and asked them the same questions based on basic world geography the western nation would score higher.

Geography is a pretty narrow topic, but I'd bet the Thai's would score higher if you're talking SE Asia region, Americans higher in the Americas region, Euros in Europe, etc. But if it was a broader topic range...and the Thais get to choose the questions, I'll bet you my net worth that Thai society would score higher. I'm being somewhat facetious here, but really, for any sort of comparison that you're suggesting, who gets to choose the questions?

Again, you guys keep insisting that what YOU know is what the Thais should know. May I respectfully disagree.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the working to middle classes in the West (educated and uneducated), are mostly aware of the main events in modern world history even if they don't know the specifics or the exact dates.

This is a completely inaccurate statement, unless you add "modern WESTERN world history." The vast majority of westerners know very little about Asian history...not to mention South American or African history. Surely you know this.

That maybe true or not, it hasn't been measured by you or anyone else as far as I know. However it is probably fair to say that if you took a broad section of society in any western nation against a broad section of Thai society and asked them the same questions based on basic world geography the western nation would score higher.

Geography is a pretty narrow topic, but I'd bet the Thai's would score higher if you're talking SE Asia region, Americans higher in the Americas region, Euros in Europe, etc. But if it was a broader topic range...and the Thais get to choose the questions, I'll bet you my net worth that Thai society would score higher. I'm being somewhat facetious here, but really, for any sort of comparison that you're suggesting, who gets to choose the questions?

Again, you guys keep insisting that what YOU know is what the Thais should know. May I respectfully disagree.

You can agree, disagree or sing it from the roof tops. Its just your opinion and doesnt change anything. Anyway, you think we are insisting what we know is what the Thais should know? If you dont think they should know what goes on in the rest of the world or where in the world these things happen thats up to you. Surely I would have thought that everyone being as highly educated as they possibly can would be better than being clueless. Especially as the world becomes more globalised.

After all affluent Thais send their children overseas to study, not the other way round, so there must be something right in my opinion if we are to take the educational choices of educated Thais into account.

Edited by Kananga

Perhaps if we look to popular culture we can find the answer. How many quiz shows dealing with general knowledge are popular or have been popular in Thailand, UK and America? I can think of a lot in the US and UK but none in Thailand. Knowledge is not fun nor sought after in Thailand.

...I remember being in Thailand after my first trip to Vietnam 11 years ago. I tried talking about the Vietnam war with some Thais and they had no clue what I was on about. And thats in their own backyard in their parents lifetime.

Not to mention that that war had a massive impact on Thailand's economy and society as whole (or that there was some genuine and arguably legitimate fear for Thailand's safety) or that thousands of Thai soldiers served in that war.

...I remember being in Thailand after my first trip to Vietnam 11 years ago. I tried talking about the Vietnam war with some Thais and they had no clue what I was on about. And thats in their own backyard in their parents lifetime.

Not to mention that that war had a massive impact on Thailand's economy and society as whole (or that there was some genuine and arguably legitimate fear for Thailand's safety) or that thousands of Thai soldiers served in that war.

Excellent point. Ask a handful of Thais what they thought about the communist threat to their country in the 70s and then ask a handful of westerners about the cold war threat in Europe. Bet you a 1000 roubles you get better answers from the Europeans.

Excellent point. Ask a handful of Thais what they thought about the communist threat to their country in the 70s and then ask a handful of westerners about the cold war threat in Europe. Bet you a 1000 roubles you get better answers from the Europeans.

Don't ask anyone from Phetchabun. :jap:

You can agree, disagree or sing it from the roof tops. Its just your opinion and doesnt change anything. Anyway, you think we are insisting what we know is what the Thais should know? If you dont think they should know what goes on in the rest of the world or where in the world these things happen thats up to you. Surely I would have thought that everyone being as highly educated as they possibly can would be better than being clueless. Especially as the world becomes more globalised.

After all affluent Thais send their children overseas to study, not the other way round, so there must be something right in my opinion if we are to take the educational choices of educated Thais into account.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you. I lived in America for a lot of years and can tell you that the majority of Americans really know very little about what goes on outside its borders. The Thais are not much different. If anything, the Thais have embraced foreign cultures more than Americans. So if you want to piss on the ordinary Thai, you can do the same for most ordinary westerners. By the way, ordinary westerners do not live in Thailand.

Perhaps if we look to popular culture we can find the answer. How many quiz shows dealing with general knowledge are popular or have been popular in Thailand, UK and America? I can think of a lot in the US and UK but none in Thailand. Knowledge is not fun nor sought after in Thailand.

Geez, Kerry, I have seen numerous quiz shows on Thai TV, for adults and children. And contrary to what you might think, there's a lot going on in Thai communities all over Thailand that you do not know about.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you. I lived in America for a lot of years and can tell you that the majority of Americans really know very little about what goes on outside its borders. The Thais are not much different. If anything, the Thais have embraced foreign cultures more than Americans. So if you want to piss on the ordinary Thai, you can do the same for most ordinary westerners. By the way, ordinary westerners do not live in Thailand.

Well Americans may not know much about the rest of the world, you're the expert there not me, but as Thais seem to be adopting American culture more and more is that really any different? Ordinary westerners may not live in Thailand (although that is a strange comment, and I assume you mean 'uneducated') however many thousands of ordinary westerners visit Thailand on an annual basis for their vacations.

I wonder what language Kananga was speaking to the Thais in? If it was in English, perhaps the Thais did not understand a word he was saying.

I am into a game mode now. You might want to check the sales of Trivial Pursuit in the US and there is an around the world section in that game along with the other parts.

Geez, Kerry, I have seen numerous quiz shows on Thai TV, for adults and children. And contrary to what you might think, there's a lot going on in Thai communities all over Thailand that you do not know about.

I have too but not the big money ones like in the West. And I go back to my bar quiz thing. I just don't see knowledge being very popular.

I wonder what language Kananga was speaking to the Thais in? If it was in English, perhaps the Thais did not understand a word he was saying.

Careful, you may end up giving me an example of how poor the standard of English proficiency is in Thailand :D Especially when compared to the poorer, less economically developed Vietnam I had just returned from.

Ordinary westerners may not live in Thailand (although that is a strange comment, and I assume you mean 'uneducated') however many thousands of ordinary westerners visit Thailand on an annual basis for their vacations.

Strange comment? Man, I feel like I have to explain every little thing to you. What is an ordinary American? They are the vast majority of Americans. They're living in America. That's all. Ordinary Thais are the vast majority of Thais. Ordinary Americans don't think or care much about what goes on in the rest of the world, same with ordinary Thais. You're comparing western travellers and expats with ordinary Thais, I'm just saying you should do the same with ordinary westerners. Let's just forget it. Believe what you will.

Careful, you may end up giving me an example of how poor the standard of English proficiency is in Thailand :D Especially when compared to the poorer, less economically developed Vietnam I had just returned from.

The importance of English proficiency is way overrated. Japan vs Philippines, Korea vs Vietnam, and so on. "Less economically developed Vietnam" is correct. What has higher English proficiency done for them?

The importance of English proficiency is way overrated. Japan vs Philippines, Korea vs Vietnam, and so on. "Less economically developed Vietnam" is correct. What has higher English proficiency done for them?

A lot more than the US sanctions since 75 which are the reason (along with communism before doi moi) for their economic handicap. Now that sanctions have been lifted and their social policy has taken a much more relaxed approach to capitalism Vietnam's economy is closing in on Thailand's at an alarming rate. Of course if we were to compare Thailand's English proficiency to Singapore's and attempt to make a direct correlation between english proficiency and GDP your argument looks even worse.

I will admit that as a Thai apologist you are really trying to put up a good fight, even if you are continually trying to change the subject :whistling:

Ordinary westerners may not live in Thailand (although that is a strange comment, and I assume you mean 'uneducated') however many thousands of ordinary westerners visit Thailand on an annual basis for their vacations.

Strange comment? Man, I feel like I have to explain every little thing to you. What is an ordinary American? They are the vast majority of Americans. They're living in America. That's all. Ordinary Thais are the vast majority of Thais. Ordinary Americans don't think or care much about what goes on in the rest of the world, same with ordinary Thais. You're comparing western travellers and expats with ordinary Thais, I'm just saying you should do the same with ordinary westerners. Let's just forget it. Believe what you will.

You only feel you have to explain every little thing to me due to your poor choice of words. I'm ordinary, the majority of people I know who live in Thailand are ordinary. Are you somehow extraordinary? :D

You only feel you have to explain every little thing to me due to your poor choice of words. I'm ordinary, the majority of people I know who live in Thailand are ordinary. Are you somehow extraordinary? :D

Dude, you are not ordinary. An expat living in Thailand is not ordinary, in the context of the culture that you came from. Most Americans do not live in Thailand, they live in America. Ergo, most of the Americans living in America are ordinary Americans. This is not simply semantics, but most expats actually possess certain qualities that are not found in their home country. That is, the ability and willingness to live in a culture not his own, and therefore, obtaining knowledge of cultures other than his own. I'm actually complementing you, but I wish you and those like you would step down from your high horse and not feel so much contempt for the locals.

Dude, you are not ordinary. An expat living in Thailand is not ordinary, in the context of the culture that you came from. Most Americans do not live in Thailand, they live in America. Ergo, most of the Americans living in America are ordinary Americans. This is not simply semantics, but most expats actually possess certain qualities that are not found in their home country. That is, the ability and willingness to live in a culture not his own, and therefore, obtaining knowledge of cultures other than his own. I'm actually complementing you, but I wish you and those like you would step down from your high horse and not feel so much contempt for the locals.

Very valid points.......too many people try to make themselves look big by making other people look ( and feel ) small.

Thailand is a developing country, in my opinion they are developing quickly and well. Many people in the country over a certain age will have received little or no education. Many of the young generation have a voracious appetite for learning. Things will get better as a result, so come on, be fair.

I disagree. Most expats actually possess certain qualities not found in their host, not home location hence being provided with work permits to do jobs the local workforce cant cope with on its own. Thailand being a debatable exception where it seems any ordinary person can teach English or own a bar. I have many friends who have lived overseas at some point in their lives and they are carpenters, builders etc, ordinary people who like me have their feet firmly on the ground. You on the otherhand may choose to think you are above us ordinary people but thats purely in your own mind. I dont need you to compliment me, I'm nothing special and dont need strangers trying to convince me otherwise. With regard to your comment about having contempt for the locals, I mean really, where did you pluck that nugget of smelly bullshit from? Sounds like the desperate words of a man who won't accept other people's opinions of the Thai education system based on their own observations having spent considerable time in Thailand and have Thai friends or families. Seems to me like you have embraced the Thai ability to stick your head in the sand not accept that there are aspects of Thai society that lack behind other countries. Being aware of these and debating them doesn't equal contempt and only a moron or a liar would claim otherwise.

Thankfully us ordinary folk can see the wood through the trees and have the courage to admit and discuss the shortcomings as well as the merits of the world at large including but not limited to dear old Thailand.

Thanks Kananga, the way you descibe is exactly what I'm trying to illustrate. And you could add basic history and science to that.

Whilst it is true that there are a lot of westerners who don't know a lot about Asian, African or South American history I would say that they at least know something. For example I would be so bold as to say that more Australian and English nationals know something about what the Khmer Rouge did in Cambodia in the 1970's than Thai people do (and it's their neighbouring country).

Interesting that you would mention the Khmer Rouge. Is western knowledge of other cultures tied to what the western media feeds us? I doubt any westerner would care about Cambodia if not for the movie The Killing Fields years ago. Ditto Hitler, the Romans, King Arthur, etc. Many westerners (and Asians) probably know a lot more about what happened on the Titanic than they know about why the Japanese entered WWII. It seems like many westerners are equating knowledge of popular culture (with a decidedly western slant) to true formal education.

Even in that cesspool of Western illiteracy Pattaya there a number of Pubs that have a Trivia Quiz night. I think it is a difference in culture thing. I have never seen a Thai bar with a quiz night. I don't think knowledge is a big Thai value. Trivial Pursuit is an American game and how odd is that! Imagine Americans playing a game that involves knowledge :lol: Or for another example Thai Visa. I think a lot of posters like the intellectual challenge (however slight) that posting here provides.

You are a racist butthole. I say this in the same jovial spirit as you used.

Is America a race now? :rolleyes:

Thailand being a debatable exception where it seems any ordinary person can teach English or own a bar. I have many friends who have lived overseas at some point in their lives and they are carpenters, builders etc, ordinary people who like me have their feet firmly on the ground. You on the otherhand may choose to think you are above us ordinary people but thats purely in your own mind. I dont need you to compliment me, I'm nothing special and dont need strangers trying to convince me otherwise.

I would have to agree with the previous statement, ordinary people stay in their home countries.

This is especially true for Americans, where most would never dream of even holidaying abroad. (although to be fair, it is a very big country, so little need to leave)

New Zealand is the only country I know where foreign travel is the norm.

So those of us from the western world, who travel widely must be considered 'unusual' or out of the ordinary.

The debate on different in a good or bad way is not really important in this discussion.

It might be that people need a better education to understand the different meanings between the words, ordinary, different, special, unusual. So they don't become easily insulted by other peoples correct usage of such words.

Edited by ludditeman

Thailand being a debatable exception where it seems any ordinary person can teach English or own a bar. I have many friends who have lived overseas at some point in their lives and they are carpenters, builders etc, ordinary people who like me have their feet firmly on the ground. You on the otherhand may choose to think you are above us ordinary people but thats purely in your own mind. I dont need you to compliment me, I'm nothing special and dont need strangers trying to convince me otherwise.

I would have to agree with the previous statement, ordinary people stay in their home countries.

This is especially true for Americans, where most would never dream of even holidaying abroad. (although to be fair, it is a very big country, so little need to leave)

So those of us from the western world, who travel widely must be considered 'unusual' or out of the ordinary.

The debate on different in a good or bad way is not really important in this discussion.

It might be that people need a better education to understand the different meanings between the words, ordinary, different, special, unusual. So they don't become easily insulted by other peoples correct usage of such words.

I am just an ordinary guy. The first time I came to Thailand I was paid to kill small brown men. You didn't need a work permit back then to do that or even a passport. I found out that Thais could kill small brown men as good as me. Seemed like a pretty ordinary job. Get up in the morning and shoot people and come home at night grab a beer at the club and a massage and then go to bed. Nothing really special. There were small brown men who did the same thing except their job was to kill tall white and black guys. I think I ate better than they did though and I certainly had a sharper uniform and better footwear.

I think I am just ordinary but then again I may be suffering from some kind of PTSD.

Thanks Kananga, the way you descibe is exactly what I'm trying to illustrate. And you could add basic history and science to that.

Whilst it is true that there are a lot of westerners who don't know a lot about Asian, African or South American history I would say that they at least know something. For example I would be so bold as to say that more Australian and English nationals know something about what the Khmer Rouge did in Cambodia in the 1970's than Thai people do (and it's their neighbouring country).

Interesting that you would mention the Khmer Rouge. Is western knowledge of other cultures tied to what the western media feeds us? I doubt any westerner would care about Cambodia if not for the movie The Killing Fields years ago. Ditto Hitler, the Romans, King Arthur, etc. Many westerners (and Asians) probably know a lot more about what happened on the Titanic than they know about why the Japanese entered WWII. It seems like many westerners are equating knowledge of popular culture (with a decidedly western slant) to true formal education.

Even in that cesspool of Western illiteracy Pattaya there a number of Pubs that have a Trivia Quiz night. I think it is a difference in culture thing. I have never seen a Thai bar with a quiz night. I don't think knowledge is a big Thai value. Trivial Pursuit is an American game and how odd is that! Imagine Americans playing a game that involves knowledge :lol: Or for another example Thai Visa. I think a lot of posters like the intellectual challenge (however slight) that posting here provides.

You are a racist butthole. I say this in the same jovial spirit as you used.

I don't think you meant to say I was a racist butthole since America is not a race. I think you meant to say I am an anti American butthole. :lol: My comment was actually sarcastic but you would have to know me a bit better to come to that conclusion. :jap:

The comparison should not be Japan vs Philippines, it should be countries with similar level of development.

Let's compare the Philippines with Thailand for example:

How has English helped the Filipinos:

1. Hundreds of thousands of Filipinos are employed in call centers and customer support centers, serving western clients.

My company employs 5 of them as we speak.

I would consider employing Thais - but they just can't speak, read or write English well enough.

2. Millions of Filipinos are employed abroad as nurses, house keepers, care-takers, sales representatives, and many other jobs.

Almost all of them communicate with employers and clients in English.

For example, in my country, all the care-takers for old people are Filipino, as well as many house keepers.

Thais are employed only in agriculture, where language is not relevant.

I am just an ordinary guy. The first time I came to Thailand I was paid to kill small brown men. You didn't need a work permit back then to do that or even a passport. I found out that Thais could kill small brown men as good as me. Seemed like a pretty ordinary job. Get up in the morning and shoot people and come home at night grab a beer at the club and a massage and then go to bed. Nothing really special. There were small brown men who did the same thing except their job was to kill tall white and black guys. I think I ate better than they did though and I certainly had a sharper uniform and better footwear.

I think I am just ordinary but then again I may be suffering from some kind of PTSD.

You are clearly suffering from something, your post is ridiculous and racist. 85,000 Asian Americans served in the US army in the Vietnam war.

Show some respect :angry:

Very valid points.......too many people try to make themselves look big by making other people look ( and feel ) small.

Thailand is a developing country, in my opinion they are developing quickly and well. Many people in the country over a certain age will have received little or no education. Many of the young generation have a voracious appetite for learning. Things will get better as a result, so come on, be fair.

Thank you. Some very fair and objective comments on this site for a change.

I disagree. Most expats actually possess certain qualities not found in their host, not home location hence being provided with work permits to do jobs the local workforce cant cope with on its own. Thailand being a debatable exception where it seems any ordinary person can teach English or own a bar. I have many friends who have lived overseas at some point in their lives and they are carpenters, builders etc, ordinary people who like me have their feet firmly on the ground. You on the otherhand may choose to think you are above us ordinary people but thats purely in your own mind. I dont need you to compliment me, I'm nothing special and dont need strangers trying to convince me otherwise. With regard to your comment about having contempt for the locals, I mean really, where did you pluck that nugget of smelly bullshit from? Sounds like the desperate words of a man who won't accept other people's opinions of the Thai education system based on their own observations having spent considerable time in Thailand and have Thai friends or families. Seems to me like you have embraced the Thai ability to stick your head in the sand not accept that there are aspects of Thai society that lack behind other countries. Being aware of these and debating them doesn't equal contempt and only a moron or a liar would claim otherwise.

Thankfully us ordinary folk can see the wood through the trees and have the courage to admit and discuss the shortcomings as well as the merits of the world at large including but not limited to dear old Thailand.

You seriously need to calm the <deleted> down and just debate me without having to resort to personal attacks. All I've done is try to defend the Thais against this relentless bashing and somehow, you think I'm suggesting that I'm above you? The Thais know they have problems in their education system. Heck, Americans know we have problems in our education system. But for farangs like you to constantly insist that you have all the answers and that the Thais are idiots for not wanting a better education system is ludicrous. Of course they want a better education system for their children. Surely you agree with this. Or is the noble farangs the only ones who can see this? You seem to be hopelessly in love with yourself.