Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

I am surprised on many occasions how little Thais seem to know about things outside of Thailand which I would generally have learnt in Geography, do they get world geography in their education system or is it not deemed a requirement? Similarly with History they seem to be at a loss with the very mention of historical great events that happened elsewhere although I expect they good a good grounding in Thai Royal Dynasties which I would expect. It seems to me that the education system seems to be very selective in what is taught and what is not.

The Battle of Britain was a real stumper as was Have you ever heard of Adolf Hitler?

It amazes me the length of time the education takes in hours a day and years to complete and yet still seems to have so many holes in it.

Am I alone in noticing this and has anyone got any comments or that make me understand where they are coming from.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Battle of Britain.

In all the events of history, what relevance now, anywhere, let alone Asia?

Where, today, would children learn about that at school?

Britain, even? Ask the 'yoof of today' seen recently rioting and burning in their own 'Battle of Britain'

Hitler has been superceded by more recent genocides, wars.

In the 'nice to know' category maybe, but doesn''t help one get a job in 2011.

Those of you who don't understand why kids out in the boonies don't know anything about Hitler ought to get hold of a book called 'In Grandmother's House' by Sorasing Kaowai and Peter Robinson. It gives some idea of the life in a typical Thai village that Sorasing and his Granny lived in. They didn't get electricity until 1983. Why would they be learning about Hitler?

http://www.monsoonbooks.com.sg/bookpage_0866587.html

Occasionally, I come across some Americans who still think Taiwan and Thailand are the same country. I suppose that it is not only Thai people who don't know much about the outside world.

education ain't what it used to be that's for sure, doesn't seem to matter which country you choose.

The reason is simple. Why should anyone care about things that they don't give a dam_n about? Besides that, I don't think it is a "Thailand' problem. We have some ignorant people from America, who despite have a better quality of education compared to Thailand's, also can't differentiate some simple questions. It's not about the education, it's about whether people think the particular knowledge is useful to them in the future.

Why would they have to know about the battle of Britain. Totally unimportant for them. They need to know their own history first.

How many of you have been taught anything about Thai history ? I know i havent.

I agree with this comment. Also I have lots of well educated Thai friends who probably know more than me. They know their own country's geography and history AND some western geography and history. :P

I am constantly teaching myself about the history and geography of Thailand as I feel ignorant not knowing! However I was just never taught, I'm not ignorant.

Occasionally, I come across some Americans who still think Taiwan and Thailand are the same country. I suppose that it is not only Thai people who don't know much about the outside world.

education ain't what it used to be that's for sure, doesn't seem to matter which country you choose.

Education is a form of brainwashing. And that goes for every country.

Why would they have to know about the battle of Britain. Totally unimportant for them. They need to know their own history first.

Yes, I know a lot about Thai history. The problem here, is that I had to learn the real History ,outside the country. All the History books , as is most of the Thai education Syllabus, was written by one group, in this society ,generally as a means of political control .Of the masses. Which worked very well for them . for many ,many years. Hopefully ,it will change . Truth ? ------------

:rolleyes:

Twenty years ago I would have agreed with you, but here in Bangkok that isn't necessarily true any longer. My Thai family regularly watches shows on history and world affairs on Thai PBS. Twenty years ago they didn't have that. My 63 year old wife knows more about the Japenese and Chinese war in China during WWII than I do.

But to take your example...the Battle of Britain...why would they care?

You as a European were taught that because it was part of your local history. It wasn't to Thailand. Farangs killing each other on the other side of the world in 1939 to 1941 are non-news to many Thais.

It's like asking an American whose currently on top of the English Premier Leauge right now. Probably only 1 in a 1000 would actually know...and even if they did, most of those that do probably don't care anyhow.

But don't be so smug.I once told a Brit that I was going to Thailand for my vacation, and he had no idea where Thailand was. So thinking he would know Singapore and Malaysia, they once being part of the British Empire, I told him Thailand was near Singapore and Malysia. He didn't know where they were either.

As a student of American History, here's a question I'll raise for you: What was the Whiskey Rebellion in the U.S. (in 1791 if I remember correctly) and what important principle did it establish that the U.S. government still practices today?

For all you Americans, here's a hint: April 15th.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Actually, reality of selected education and knowledge [cultural-centric] is more common than not worldwide.

These models are quite obvious throughout the West - especially the Anglo-American sphere of English-speaking countries.

Contrary to popular illusion, they've no market on worldliness and historic knowledge.

Sorry, imafarang,who were you referring to? Not me,. i taught for nigh on 16 years in Thai Educational institutions ,that were called ' universities'.These places were amazingly insular. There is ,was only one country worth talking about. Guess which one? You see ,you need to understand ,which group in Thai society has control of the syllabus. Most of Thailand ,either (a ) has no access to PBS, or (B) has not been trained to think independently. It took me a long time to finally ,get my students to ask me questions. It was almost under the pain of death. That is how difficult it is/was.

Yes, I know a lot about Thai history. The problem here, is that I had to learn the real History ,outside the country. All the History books , as is most of the Thai education Syllabus, was written by one group, in this society ,generally as a means of political control .Of the masses. Which worked very well for them . for many ,many years. Hopefully ,it will change . Truth ? ------------

Yep. Alternative historic material, be it authored by Thai, Farang, Chinese, whomever is almost always found outside of the controlling Thai establishment circles.

I'm almost embarrassed for the lovely, yet narrow and limited [in content] historic material that one might be able to find within university libraries, bookshops, and publishers. Nothing unconventional, challenging, or questioning - critical thought and displays are suppressed for the most part.

NOT educating is probably a worse form of brain-washing.

NOT educating is probably a worse form of brain-washing.

Indeed. Omittance is an alternative form of manipulation.

Spot on, mate!

Ah, well ,your name says it all . Does it not? Practical knowledge ,if not knowledge itself is meaningless? According to you.

Pray tell, how do you divine that from my handle?

Looks like I touched a nerve there...

Not a nerve,just a piece of stupidity in choosing your ,as you so delicately put it ,your "handle"- HEAVY DRINKER. Which you exemplify by refusing to answer the questions posed.

How many of you have been taught anything about Thai history ? I know i havent

Yes , i was, and it was clearly about the R&R of Short Time for American Soldiers.....

snapback.pngWhingeingMoaners, on Today, 20:36 , said:

:lol:

Edited by Boater

So....in a round-about way, there is this suggested content: some histories and knowledge are deemed more important, valuable and worthy from others?

This harks dangerously as to forcing attached standards and absolutes.

Same old models of the superior vs. inferior thing.

If I had a clue what you were on about I'd gladly answer any "question" you care to put to me, however I think you've had a few this evening.

Did you not see the Question mark, in my initial reply? This is a" ?" question mark .That means I have asked a question ,to which I hope to receive an answer, even if you are a HEAVY DRINKER, I do admit to not being a wowser!!!