Installing Lap Pool Pump In A Swimming Pool

joker7

Im planning on building a 6 x 12 Metre Swimming pool. I was thinking to take a lap pool pump and install it and the deep end of the pool. This would give a nice wave affect for the kids to play around in.

Anyone ever done this before ?

Was also thinking maybe I need to install a pool cover try to keep the pool as clean as possible. Is this really cost affective, how much water from evaporation would it save in Baht terms per month ?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Joker.

It's been doe many times before and it wouldn't work well if it did anything else besides being a lap pump as anything attached to it would cause too much back pressure on a filter and reduce the flow to unusable pressure...

Simply need to install a spa style M/d to the side of the pool at the bottom so it is not played with by the same children who will be using this pump as it will have veeeery strong suction to it.

Then install the pump with a special swim jet going through the wall about 12 to 18" below the water line so it will end up causing flotation to anyone using it, a swim jet is adjustable both in flow rate and directionally..

Have it controlled by an air actuated switch at pool side somewhere for pump control but not with any 240v wiring anywhere near the pools edge. An air actuator is a safe, small air line generally used on spas that will actuate a solenoid switch in the pump room to operate the pump from there..

Thanks Mr Warp - top advice. Will hit the pool contractor see what they say.

Joker.

BTW Unless you have serious leaf issues and are way up north where it may get a bit chili at times and you'd like to swim year round scrap the cover plan. As was posted it will heat up the pool to temps that won't be refreshing and the inconvenience of it will have you piling it up on the side of the pool in short order.

Besides high temps also encourage more algae growth so it will be a problem in that regard also and because it will keep out rain water you'll find yourself adding more water by hose so the 'B' difference may actually rise not be a savings of any kind and fresh rain water also has a replenishing effect on water chemistry especially in smaller pools which plays strong part in water balance.

Hey I forgot to mention and this might be a deal breaker but you need to consider a much higher flow rated pump and more HP which may also require a 3 phase power source. Obviously this would be much more expensive, at minimum a 2.5 Hp pump but more likely a 3 Hp which is likely to require 3 phase..

I would also recommend a max flow rate pump and in this case I would only recommend either a Sta-rite maxiglas or Hayward Super pump to get the job done :jap: ..