Giant Serpent In Khon Kaen พญานาค

Neeranam

This morning I was taken to a little village about 15 km from khon Kaen city - "Baan Song Bpleu". The guy who took me, and lives there, was the chef in my wife's old restaurant. She doesn't know much as she doesn't come from Isaan but she told me a bit about the เทผ as that relates to Hinduism. Is เทผ related to พญานาค I drove around the village and stopped at about 7 different houses, where there were lots of people looking at the marks on the walls where the giant serpent had been during the night. They were all staring closely at the marks which I saw as only damp looking bits at the bottom of the walls. There was one that resembled the figure of a Buddha.

I know nothing about this really and found it hard to get any explanation. There was one guy dressed up like a purple Hindu Deity, which totally confused things.

I found a monk and asked him a few questions. He said that it was nothing to do with religion. I didn't bother to ask him why all the people were prostrating, and there were the usual candles and incense. He said some people believe and some don't. When I asked him if he did he said he couldn't speak about it. Why is this? Maybe as he represents the Sangha he can't talk about these things.

I noticed that in the village there were a few guys with serpent tatoos and someone said that people had come from Nong Kai to see the signs. There were lots of photos of people with large snakes, about 10 feet long, but they said the พญานาค was about 3 or 4 times this size. Only one guy in the village said he saw it, and he looked as though he liked the "lao khao".

I can relate it to the Loch Ness monster, there were lots of people around making money from "ai dteem" and drinks.

Does anyone know this village? I never saw any other farang there.

Can anyone tell me what exactly the พญานาค is and how it relates to Isaan culture.

What about the Buddhist connection? I have heard many stories about the "serpent king" around Isaan in the past. Didn't the "Naga" protect the Lord Buddha"?I think this is not the same though - this is นาคราช, I think.

These houses were about 10 minutes walk away from the "beung"(lake) and that wasn't very big. I asked if they had ever caught one of these big ones, but the answer was "no". Why can't they search for them like they do the loch Ness monster?

It was all very friendly and they gave us free food - well we did donate something for

Buddha knows what?

Is there any truth in these serpent stories, or is it an excuse for a few glasses of "lao khao" and a party?

I'm not sure where to post this as it relates to Isaan, Buddhism, Thai Language(a bit) and General Interest.

Clearly this is proof that there is a subterranean water filled tunnel from the Mekhong River to this lake and the Nagas commute between the two locations. There is no other possible explanation. My advice is to buy all the land around the lake you can and set up concession booths...and wait for the fireballs....people will come....you'll sell sh1tloads of beer and si krok isaan....you'll be rich, rich, rich.......just be sure you get a work permit first.

Clearly this is proof that there is a subterranean water filled tunnel from the Mekhong River to this lake and the Nagas commute between the two locations.  There is no other possible explanation.  My advice is to buy all the land around the lake you can and set up concession booths...and wait for the fireballs....people will come....you'll sell sh1tloads of beer and si krok isaan....you'll be rich, rich, rich.......just be sure you get a work permit first.

aaaah........................cuz it's the bang fai paya naak season once again.

Nong Khai, i enjoyed your laap moo and bia Lao...and got a kick looking at the awed faces of the locals awaiting the holy fire cojones :D

:D:D:D:D:o

The Naga's been around for a long time in South East Asia - it predates Buddhism's arrival unless I am totally mistaken. I am sure Sabaijai or somebody else of our scholars will have more info on this.

Ankhor Wat is smothered in Naga and that they are mostly Hindhu - predating Buddhism in the region.....

The wall stains remind me of some wonderful pee drawings I've created on walls (and snowfalls long ago) after drinking a bit.

So, do you think the Naga is into pee art?

If it is, then it's definitely more into the abstract form of art... whereas my creations utilized more realism. To it's credit, however, it's work lasted longer than mine.

The wall stains remind me of some wonderful pee drawings I've created on walls (and snowfalls long ago) after drinking a bit.

So, you are a p1ss artist! :D

Not if it means admitting to some unsavory "brit-ism" meaning.... :o

Using my limited knowledge of that sort of colloquism, does it mean someone that enjoys exaggerating or making up untrue stories?

If so, then no, I'm not. I leave that to the long line (queue?) of trolls waiting impatiently in the standby lane to join TV... :D