Falcon Insurance...

meithai

I had a small claim with them some time ago.

Their assessor was on the spot pretty quickly, the claim process was painless.

The approval took about 3 or 4 days, but unfortunately it was right at Christmas so Kawasaki had delays waiting for parts. (not Falcon's fault)

Falcon paid Kawasaki direct, less the excess, and I just paid the 5,000 baht excess to Kawasaki when I picked up the bike.

I was quite pleased with the overall service.

I have two other bikes insured with another company, but no claims experience with them. (thankfully)

Falcon was cheaper on the Er6, but the other company was cheaper on the Vulcan 900 and the Ninjette.

Cheers.

The approval took about 3 or 4 days, but unfortunately it was right at Christmas so Kawasaki had delays waiting for parts. (not Falcon's fault)

Falcon paid Kawasaki direct, less the excess, and I just paid the 5,000 baht excess to Kawasaki when I picked up the bike.

I have two other bikes insured with another company, but no claims experience with them. (thankfully)

Falcon was cheaper on the Er6, but the other company was cheaper on the Vulcan 900 and the Ninjette.

Cheers.

Thanks for that. so you only have a 5,000 bt excess? WoW!

PS. I have a friend with an Er6, if you don't mind how much did you value it at & how much was your premium?

Thanks for the help, this will also help me assess what my premium should be.

I had Lockton on my first bike, but never had a claim. I had Viriyah on my 2nd N650R. Had to fight tooth and nail for them to cover damage after a cement mixer ran me off the road. In the end they wouldn't cover replacement of parts (tank, fairings, shifter, crank case cover, mirrors, etc). They wanted to try to repair everything instead and sent me to a scooter shop!! I ended up getting them to pay about half the cost of new parts. They don't follow their own policy, but rather deny claims if they feel cost them too much. A nightmare. Never again.

I believe Tony the Brit who rents bikes in Nai Harn has Lockton and he said they are wonderful. He's had multiple claims and every time he gets all new Kawasaki parts and only pays the deductible.

I was consdering going with Muang Thai Phantra insurance but ive heard mixed reviews about them ,apparently if you make a claim they do pay out ,but they refuse to re-new your insurance and advise you to use another company when the policy runs out :rolleyes:

Then why would you consider using them?

best of a bad bunch maybe :rolleyes:

apparently they will replace your bike the first time its trashed or stolen ,but after that they probably do their mathematics and figure out

if it happens again the cost outweighs the benefit for them .....?

hopefuly more people will post about their experience insuring bikes in thailand

insuring my elegance scooter ,i got 90% for theft ni the first year and 80% in the second year + 500,000 bail money for the police if theres a serious accident (cant remember who its insured wth but il check )

yesterday on a CBR 250, i was quoted 80% theft in the first year and 60% theft in the 2nd year + only 100,000 bail money if theres an accident (with variah )

seems to be a huge differnce from company to company

these are the main companies doing big bike insurance in thailand :

http://www.todayinsure.com/index.php?ui=companies

Cheers.

Good to hear about the first hand Falcon experience. Was my impression as well, although my damages never exceeded 5k baht so I never tried it out. 5,000 Baht goes a long way with Thai made parts. Which is a good thing, I guess - parts are cheap!

I once replaced all the panels on one side, the front, a few bent parts, and mirrors on my D-Tracker - came to a total of 2,700 baht!

Front light assembly on the ER-6n was 3,500 Baht as far as I can remember...

Had falcon on my first Ninja650 starting september 2009. a rental R1 turned right behind me and touched my plate frame. rider = patong owner. He dropped, I had of course no problem, Police case, Police supported rental guy (strange :rolleyes: ) and Falcons rep convinced me to accept blame. Falcon paid 35k baht to repair R1. This was a freelance rep, so can not say if Falcon is dirty or rep is dirty, but assume rep had kickback from R1 owner.

as falcon was very cheap, their renewal quote for second year was 6k baht for 180k cover and adequate 3rd party cover , I wanted to renew. But in vaine. No reply on phone, if reply, not calling back, no reply on emails, gave up when it had expired

Had falcon on my first Ninja650 starting september 2009. a rental R1 turned right behind me and touched my plate frame. rider = patong owner. He dropped, I had of course no problem, Police case, Police supported rental guy (strange :rolleyes: ) and Falcons rep convinced me to accept blame. Falcon paid 35k baht to repair R1. This was a freelance rep, so can not say if Falcon is dirty or rep is dirty, but assume rep had kickback from R1 owner.

as falcon was very cheap, their renewal quote for second year was 6k baht for 180k cover and adequate 3rd party cover , I wanted to renew. But in vaine. No reply on phone, if reply, not calling back, no reply on emails, gave up when it had expired

falcons rep convinced you to admit blame so falcon would have to cover the damage? sounds suspicious all right

falcons rep convinced you to admit blame so falcon would have to cover the damage? sounds suspicious all right

when a dirty cop and falcon rep convince me to accept blame while remtal mafia is watching, I choose the easy way, as long as I dont need to pay

when a dirty cop and falcon rep convince me to accept blame while remtal mafia is watching, I choose the easy way, as long as I dont need to pay

it doesnt sound like you had much options in this situation ,at least u had insurance and falcon paid the 35k instead of them bringing you to the ATM

Cheers.

PS. I have a friend with an Er6, if you don't mind how much did you value it at & how much was your premium?

Thanks for the help, this will also help me assess what my premium should be.

deductible amount can also be based on the out right price of the bike

Thanks for all input, this is helping me understand the insurance minefield in LOS a bit more & I hope others too.

Ok, but previous experience in LOS when insuring a cbr 150 valued at 66,000 was 10,000 excess, plus was quoted a 10,000 bt excess on a cbr 250 valued at 130,000 bt, double.

Thanks for all input, this is helping me understand the insurance minefield in LOS a bit more & I hope others too.

Ok, but previous experience in LOS when insuring a cbr 150 valued at 66,000 was 10,000 excess, plus was quoted a 10,000 bt excess on a cbr 250 valued at 130,000 bt, double.

which company values the cbr 250 at 130,000 thb ?

the ones i spoke to say its worth 100k IF the insurance is purchased within 7 days of the vehicle being purchased

after that ,its a second hand vehicle so its apparently worth less than 100k

the ones i spoke to say its worth 100k IF the insurance is purchased within 7 days of the vehicle being purchased

Well, I did buy it 2nd hand, all the companies I spoke to asked what is the value of the machine, I said 130,000 including the extras on it.

Well, I did buy it 2nd hand, all the companies I spoke to asked what is the value of the machine, I said 130,000 including the extras on it.

i bought one new for 103,000 a couple of days ago (no ABS ) ,ive been looking for a good coverage on insurance for it but havent decided anything solid yet

i told one company it cost 103,000 and they said the book price is 100,000 so should it get stolen than they will be paying a percentage of the book price rather than the actual price

i have since found some companies that wil allow you to name your price and they will give a quotation to match whatever value you want to put on it so there is plenty of options out there for big bikes but details is very sketchy on websites and some companies dont even list motorcycle insurance on their site but if you call them they are actualy selling it

What companies did you get quotes from and what sort of prices???????

Have you seen the policy that Sumet cycle have organised...

info here. http://www.cbr250thai.com/bbs/read.php?tid=5531

What companies did you get quotes from and what sort of prices???????

Have you seen the policy that Sumet cycle have organised...

info here. http://www.cbr250tha...ad.php?tid=5531

dont know about the other guys experiences but ive had quotes from 2200 thb to 12,999 thb :) for the same 100,000k ish bike

(and i asked a thai friend to get all quotes so there could be no farang tax added on )

i have since found some companies that wil allow you to name your price and they will give a quotation to match whatever value you want

Ok wana....time to name names.

these are the main lists below i have been contacting and also other companies i

found on google and through recomendation of thai people

(many,even most do not have a motorcycle section but a lot will still quote for a big bike if you ask )

http://www.todayinsure.com/index.php?ui=companies

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/insurance.asp

one company i did find seemed quite generous and cheap and i was about to buy from them but then two people advised me against it because they are very "kii nieaw " in the event of a claim

best of luck :rolleyes:

i have since found some companies that wil allow you to name your price and they will give a quotation to match whatever value you want

these are the main lists below i have been contacting and also other companies i

(many,even most do not have a motorcycle section but a lot will still quote for a big bike if you ask )

http://www.todayinsu...hp?ui=companies

http://www.thaiwebsi...m/insurance.asp

one company i did find seemed quite generous and cheap and i was about to buy from them but then two people advised me against it because they are very "kii nieaw " in the event of a claim

as Insurance has very little government control or requiremnts in Th it is dodgy

Common problems

They dont have credit at garages/workshops, so you have to pay and hope for a refund. Took 2 months for me once

They do not want to pay for new parts, so all parts to be repaired by a pavement shop

They ignore your claim

They go out of business

out of 90 insurancecompanies, only 4 have a credit at Toyota Pearl Phuket.

as Insurance has very little government control or requiremnts in Th it is dodgy

Common problems

They dont have credit at garages/workshops, so you have to pay and hope for a refund. Took 2 months for me once

They do not want to pay for new parts, so all parts to be repaired by a pavement shop

They ignore your claim

They go out of business

variaya (i probably spelled that wrong ) offer pretty cheap coverage but as someone mentioned earlier in this thread ,when he dropped his kawasaki they refused to pay for new replacements for the damaged parts and sent him to a scooter shop for repairs

i asked a thai friend who works for the government about variaya as well and she said they are terrible in dealing with claims i should get bangkok ins instead ............but they seem to do every kind of insurance imaginable except motorbikes....:whistling:

the search continues ........

variaya (i probably spelled that wrong ) offer pretty cheap coverage but as someone mentioned earlier in this thread ,when he dropped his kawasaki they refused to pay for new replacements for the damaged parts and sent him to a scooter shop for repairs

i asked a thai friend who works for the government about variaya as well and she said they are terrible in dealing with claims i should get bangkok ins instead ............but they seem to do every kind of insurance imaginable except motorbikes....:whistling:

the search continues ........

Viriyah sells two levels of Insurance for cars, the cheap one, and new original parts to be repaired at any shop and they actually do have credit at Toyota Phuket and accept their rather steep prices if you have paid for the higher insurance level

dont know for bikes, but Scuba had terrible experience with them, and the repairs they paid for where a joke, would have done it better myself with a spray can

Cheers.

What company for the Vulcan TimThai? And how much was it?

Hi Dagling,

The Vulcan is with MSIG. The premium was 11,925 baht. Maximum cover on the bike is 370,000 baht per accident.

Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...

Common problems

They ignore your claim

They go out of business

I must be one of the lucky ones then :)

My Toyota is repaired at Toyota Pearl( old garage in Town ) when I had a accident a few years ago.

First they told me to repair the car at their normal place ( unnamed card repair shop ) but after I insisted that the repair to be done at Toyota it was not a problem at all.

Never saw any bill or paid anything from my pocket.

Edited by merijn