Marrying Thai National - Who Is Divorced

mja1906

Quick question - My Thai fiance is divorced but I highly doubt he still has copies of original divorce certificate, would this be easy for him to get proof of his divorce from Thai local authorities?

I have read that when marrying Thailand, he/she will need to provide evidence that they are divorced.

Thanks.

PS Also, for UK nationals is it only the British Embassy in BKK that will issue the 'affirmation of freedom to marry' doc. British Consulate in Chiang Mai can't do this? Wanna avoid a trip to BKK !

Get the affirmation from Chiang Mai and use the translations service at the shop about 50M away to get it translated and they will send it to BKK for you and get it registered with the office in BKK and sent back takes around 10 days and costs around 1500thb

Get the affirmation from Chiang Mai and use the translations service at the shop about 50M away to get it translated and they will send it to BKK for you and get it registered with the office in BKK and sent back takes around 10 days and costs around 1500thb

Now that there is a Ministry Of Foreign affairs in CM, I believe that there is no need to send the translation to BKK any longer.

This the address.

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs

Chiang Mai Provincial Hall Building

Chotana Road, T. Chang Puek

A. Muang, Chiang Mai 50000

Tel: 053.112.748, 053.112.749, 053.112.750

Hope that helps.

Thank you all folks..... if the UK Consulate sending it to BKK takes around 10days I won't be able to wait this long (am in a bit of a hurry),

Raindancer -good to hear there is an MFA in Chiang Mai, has anyone out there successfully had their affirmation signed off/legalised at the MFA in Chiang Mai ? If so, please let me know