Nakhon Si Thammarat

gk10002000

I saw a fine looking teaching opportunity, Science and Math ( I have engineering and math degrees)in Nakhon Si Thammarat at Nakhon International City School . Any opinions on the area? I am concerned about the southern part of Thailand. What is living in this region like? Safe, good living, etc? I have been to thailand 11 times to various places, but never further south than Ko Samet!

Never further south than Koh Samet???

NST Int City School .....

Don't believe all that you read. All I'm gonna say.

:jap:

It's true. I usually end up in Pattaya, and just get lazy. Small butterfly that I am, I really do just go and hang out and walk around. Beach and swimming pool and daily foot massage and I am pretty happy. Pattaya is just convenient. Easy bus ride from airport. Baht busses all around town. Lots of decent ex pat food, german in particular. I been up country to Sukothai. enjoyed that. Was on Ko Samet during the Tsunami. Luckily we changed from Phuket at the last minute. Spend a few days in Bangkok each trip usually, if it is the "cool" season.

But now considering a longer stay as my USA work winds down. I did teach in Grad School and do enjoy it.

If you are concerned about the separatist violence in the South, then you need to read the news a bit more carefully, that all occurs in the Deep South along the borders with Malayasia

NST is pretty quiet, esp if you are used to the bright lights of the big city. Better to go and check it out before committing to anything long term

If you are concerned about the separatist violence in the South, then you need to read the news a bit more carefully, that all occurs in the Deep South along the borders with Malayasia

NST is pretty quiet, esp if you are used to the bright lights of the big city. Better to go and check it out before committing to anything long term

Yes, I read the news, but the news is not always complete. That is why I like to hear from the people that are actually living there. And yes, I agree I will have to mosey on down there to check it out first.

Thanks

Yes, I read the news, but the news is not always complete. That is why I like to hear from the people that are actually living there. And yes, I agree I will have to mosey on down there to check it out first.

Thanks

As SBK says the problems occur in the deep south and will not effect you. And as she says, go down there and check it out. Just because i, for example might like it does'nt mean you will.

If you are going to live and work in NST i would strongly advise you to learn to speak Thai otherwise you social life will be very limited. Otherwise its a nice place, with interesting places to see and nice places to eat.

NST is fine!!! I live in Sichon (60 KM South of NST town) and couldn't be happier.

You should put out of your mind all this nonsense about confusing the South with the "deep South" as they are disconnected entirely. In fact, there are numerous Muslim communities on the main road between Sichon and NST town and there is total harmony between the Muslims and other religions here. It's only if you venture further South to the Malaysian border with Thailand in three provinces - namely, Yala, Narathiawat and Pattani.

I see a poster in NST town showing a photograph of one of the big schools there consisting of 26 'farangs' and it is very noticeable the amount (of Westerners) that have moved into this province now.

They do hold one unenviable and infamous claim to fame though - they supposedly have the highest number of "hitmen" in Thailand (11, I think, as I remember) . In other words don't go upsetting the locals there too much!!!:jap:

NST is fine!!! I live in Sichon (60 KM South of NST town) and couldn't be happier.

You should put out of your mind all this nonsense about confusing the South with the "deep South" as they are disconnected entirely. In fact, there are numerous Muslim communities on the main road between Sichon and NST town and there is total harmony between the Muslims and other religions here. It's only if you venture further South to the Malaysian border with Thailand in three provinces - namely, Yala, Narathiawat and Pattani.

I see a poster in NST town showing a photograph of one of the big schools there consisting of 26 'farangs' and it is very noticeable the amount (of Westerners) that have moved into this province now.

They do hold one unenviable and infamous claim to fame though - they supposedly have the highest number of "hitmen" in Thailand (11, I think, as I remember) . In other words don't go upsetting the locals there too much!!!:jap:

NST, Surat and weirdly enough, Petchabun are well known for producing hitmen. But, these are pros for hire so highly unlikely to be an issue for those living a peaceable life.

Has Sichon moved?? :o

Thanks

As SBK says the problems occur in the deep south and will not effect you. And as she says, go down there and check it out. Just because i, for example might like it does'nt mean you will.

If you are going to live and work in NST i would strongly advise you to learn to speak Thai otherwise you social life will be very limited. Otherwise its a nice place, with interesting places to see and nice places to eat.

That is for sure. Having spent a short time there I felt like i was more then just a stranger. I could hardly see farangs there. Fairly quiet place, nothing to do with the deep south.