Legal Opponents Of The Coup Need To Look Deeper: Thai Opinion

webfact

Not to mention the attempts to create a state of emergency with Caretaker Thaksin in control.... remember that ludicrously Fake Bomb attack on him... round one in the take over, likely with others planned. A certain P, playing double agent, till meeting T in China and letting the charade fall. Only to return and name C as leader of the Revolutionary Army... with out telling C in advance.

They tried the SOE again under Samak, but the army wouldn't play ball, knowing what it really meant.

Remember that one, I heard that dear Chavalit nearly choked on his breakfast, when he heard he had been appointed 'Supreme Commander of the People's Army of Thailand', later known as the 'patsies', reportedly following a meeting of core Red-Shirt leaders with former-PM Thaksin in Dubai ! :lol:

He rushed to deny the report, saying that setting up a people's army might cause his junior friends in the military to be worried, and that "it is impossible for me to become the supreme commander of such army because my brother, Gen. Songkitti Jakkrabatra who is the supreme commander, will feel uneasy". (Source 'The Nation', 4th February 2010)

This was all in happier times, before the Red-Shirts' 'peaceful protest', and the later appearance of the Black-Shirts, and the sad events of last year. It seems less funny now. :(

Oh, to be a fly on the wall a Baan Chavalit that morning?

Well understanding it's multiple meanings now with benefit of hind sight is rather poignent. People look at the coup makers as if they solely were the bad players of that day, when the reality was far, far murkier. In effect in many ways it comes across as a pre-emptive coup,

a coup to prevent a coup from happening. Or as Orwellian as it sounds, 'A counter-coup before the coming coup'.

Edited by animatic

The Nation article conveniently overlooks what is possibly the the most damming condemnation of the 2006 coup -- it was perpetrated just 26 days before scheduled National Elections.

It is obvious that the "Coup makers" intention was to prevent the electorate from deciding the matter.

Except that date was going to be delayed until late November because of problems with the Election Commission. (that delay was mentioned before the coup occurred)

Not to mention the attempts to create a state of emergency with Caretaker Thaksin in control.... remember that ludicrously Fake Bomb attack on him... round one in the take over, likely with others planned. A certain P, playing double agent, till meeting T in China and letting the charade fall. Only to return and name C as leader of the Revolutionary Army... with out telling C in advance.

They tried the SOE again under Samak, but the army wouldn't play ball, knowing what it really meant.

They tried the SOE again under Somchai when the PAD protests started to destabilise the economy (airport closures), but the army (and, was it the navy or the air force?) wouldn't play ball because they were supporting the protests.

Edited by Siam Simon

Except that date was going to be delayed until late November because of problems with the Election Commission. (that delay was mentioned before the coup occurred)

Not to mention the attempts to create a state of emergency with Caretaker Thaksin in control.... remember that ludicrously Fake Bomb attack on him... round one in the take over,

Funny how the guy supposedly behind the Fake Bomb Attack on Thaksin ended up in Yingluck's administration

Advisers to the prime minister:

General Panlop Pinmanee

Red-Shirt Leaders, Shinawatra Friends Appointed

He did have a very memorable quote to explain his non-involvement which included his wonderful career history, a much-desired trait for a Prime Minister Adviser.

Pallop denied all involvement, noting that "If had wanted to do it, I would have done it more subtly. In my career, I have led death squads. If I had wanted to kill him, the prime minister would not have escaped."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallop_Pinmanee

Edited by Buchholz

Wasn't Pallop also PR for ISOC during the military junta's day?

I'd love to see that job interview.

"So General. What can you bring to the table regarding painting us in a better light to the public and international community? Experience with top level Fortune 500 companies? Perhaps acting alongside Paul Arden in a British Airways Campaign? or the like? "

" In my career, I have led death squads. "

" You're hired."

Wasn't Pallop also PR for ISOC during the military junta's day?

I'd love to see that job interview.

"So General. What can you bring to the table regarding painting us in a better light to the public and international community? Experience with top level Fortune 500 companies? Perhaps acting alongside Paul Arden in a British Airways Campaign? or the like? "

" In my career, I have led death squads. "

" You're hired."

He's trying to get the position of Director of ISOC now by requesting to be made Chief Adviser to the Prime Minister, because of regulations that state only a chief of a government agency can be appointed to act as the ISOC Director.

The Nation article conveniently overlooks what is possibly the the most damming condemnation of the 2006 coup -- it was perpetrated just 26 days before scheduled National Elections.

It is obvious that the "Coup makers" intention was to prevent the electorate from deciding the matter.

so because they would've had to wait a whole extra month or so..... that nullifies tig's point

haha unbelievable

Edited by nurofiend

so because they would've had to wait a whole extra month or so..... that nullifies tig's point

haha unbelievable

Yes, the then caretaker government may or may not have been illegal because the general election was scheduled (by Royal Decree) a few days after the six month time limit (after the Opposition had boycotted the previous annulled general election, citing lack of time for preparation as one of the main reasons for boycotting). Horror of horrors, the general election may have been delayed a few more weeks because of Electoral Commission issues. This somehow justifies the army delaying the general election by another year through an act of high treason?