Iran arrests six 'BBC Persian employees'

News_Editor

Iran arrests six 'BBC Persian employees'

2011-09-20 08:16:57 GMT+7 (ICT)

TEHRAN (BNO NEWS) -- Iranian authorities have arrested six Iranian nationals allegedly working for the Farsi-language service of the British Broadcasting Corp. (BBC), the corporation reported on Monday.

According to Iranian state-run media, the group of six filmmakers were paid to make secret reports for the BBC Persian service, which is banned in the country. The BBC denied the reports in a statement, saying none of the six filmmakers was a BBC staff member.

"The individuals in question are independent documentary film-makers whose films have been screened in festivals and other venues internationally," the BBC said in a statement. "As is common practice for the channel's documentary showcase program, BBC Persian television bought the rights to broadcast these films."

The arrests came a day after the service showed a documentary on Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei. The BBC's James Reynolds says the channel's signal, which is sometimes accessible inside Iran, was disrupted during the broadcast.

According to Reporters Without Borders, Iran is one of the worst countries in the world in regards to press freedom. Only Turkmenistan, North Korea, and Eritrea are considered to be worse environments for journalists.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-09-20

One of the best guys I ever met was an Iranian-American at an airport. We were both denied boarding an over-booked flight. We were both stuck between a rock and a hard place - tough situation. He graciously assisted me (a total stranger to him) in more ways than I can list here. Gives new meaning to the 'Good Samaritan.'

Having said that, the current leaders in Iran, both the political and the religious leaders (who trump the others) are really low class, and they're showing it by their extreme paranoia, insecurity, and heavy handed governing policy. It reminds me of the time when they forbade females from celebrating in public - when it was announced the Iranian men's football team gained a spot at the World Cup.

Serious street demonstrations are inevitably going to rock Iran again soon, and they'll be worse than the bloody demonstration they had recently.

According to Reporters Without Borders, Iran is one of the worst countries in the world in regards to press freedom. Only Turkmenistan, North Korea, and Eritrea are considered to be worse environments for journalists.

None of this seems to deter certain posters from believing Iranian news reports in preference to U.S ones. :lol:

Perhaps the BBC will reconsider its hostile position on some other countries......

Hmmm, A BBC reporter was recently assaulted in Cairo when he was mistaken for being Jewish. Rarely for the BBC it actually reported this antisemitism as one of their staff was involved. I think it would take a lot more such events for the BBC to drop it's strong left wing bias.