Immigration Computers

The main reason I ask is that a month ago I was at the Poipet / Arranya boarder and saw a tourist get turned away. She was trying to cross over into Cambodia but the Thai immigration official wouldn't let her go through. It seems the "agency" she bought her Cambodian visa from put the visa right over top of her Thai entry stamp (idiots). Since the official couldn't see the date she entered Thailand, the official told her she had to go all the way back to Bangkok to her embassy and get a form of some sort. Her friend, who had already crossed into Cambodia, actually had to come back. I was wondering why they didn't simply look in the computer and see what date she entered? Can they?

Yes they can, at least at the HQ, not sure about all of the border crossing points, tho. However, her entry date should have also been stamped on her Departure Card. Sounds like the Immigration guy was just lazy.

I note, too, that quite often when I'm exiting or reentering at Nong Khai at the bridge the immigration guy comments that I'm using my "new" passport, issued May 2006! I'd lost my earlier one.

Mac

I did once get the opportunity to see the "display" that came up when my passport was swiped at Suvarnabhumi. Photo image (last one taken at the counter, maybe?) plus a summary of about the last 20 entries and exits and some other details I couldn't get close enough to see. I have more than one passport and interestingly enough, all of my entries and exits on all of my passports (different nationalities) were shown in the display. It appears that the immigration database is smart enough to link by name and date of birth, even if nationalities are different.

I did once get the opportunity to see the "display" that came up when my passport was swiped at Suvarnabhumi. Photo image (last one taken at the counter, maybe?) plus a summary of about the last 20 entries and exits and some other details I couldn't get close enough to see. I have more than one passport and interestingly enough, all of my entries and exits on all of my passports (different nationalities) were shown in the display. It appears that the immigration database is smart enough to link by name and date of birth, even if nationalities are different.

I think this is pretty accurate I entered yesterday at Suvarnabhumi without a Visa for the first time in a couple of years, just wanting the 30 day visa and the immigration officer asked me "No Visa?"

Which totally begs the question of why do they make such a fuss over visas when one person with 2/3 passports is seen to be coming and going at will? All the hoo-haa about having too many visas back-to-back and such-like other matters are null and void if the system actually is designed to condone it all anyway.

Maybe this point can be incorporated into the discussions with the new minister as a way of re-inforcing the slightly silly 90day reporting and similar issues for the various longer term stayers/residents.

I make no secret of the fact that I use the passport shuffle method because it is perfectl.y legal, just some of the officials have difficulty in seeing it actually happen - so I don't flaunt it. :whistling:

one thing that gets me when sponsoring your loved one for a visa, You have to supply proof of all trips to Thailand.

if they wanted, they could just do a check on you on the passport Data and find out about your past trips.

Which totally begs the question of why do they make such a fuss over visas when one person with 2/3 passports is seen to be coming and going at will? All the hoo-haa about having too many visas back-to-back and such-like other matters are null and void if the system actually is designed to condone it all anyway.

Maybe this point can be incorporated into the discussions with the new minister as a way of re-inforcing the slightly silly 90day reporting and similar issues for the various longer term stayers/residents.

I make no secret of the fact that I use the passport shuffle method because it is perfectl.y legal, just some of the officials have difficulty in seeing it actually happen - so I don't flaunt it. :whistling:

Different departments from different countries.

If, for example, one is sponsoring a UK visa application in Thailand would the ECO at the British embassy have access to Thai immigration records?

Simpler for the sponsor to provide a copy of their passport; not difficult to do.