Best Place To Stay Long Time...

Zerothai

Here we go - after years of come and go I'm finally thinking to retire at all in the land of smiles/miracles/whatever

The fact is: I love Thailand but I didn't find yet the "perfect" place for me... I'm not really a pattaya-guy (not that I don't enjoy some actions with a - or a couple - of ladies from time to time, but really see the bar scene every night over and over after some time make me sick) - on same time I'm alone so a isolated fishing village with a single karaoke bar filled of Thais will not be nice on the long run

The bright note is that I run some online business to make a live, so even I'm not really packed up with money I'm pretty free to move whenever or wherever (at least as long Thailand remain so relatively cheap)

Now, options I alredy know and I don't like too much

1) Pattaya and around - NO. I mean a HUGE no.

2) Phuket - If I wished to stay in a place full of wannabe businessmen with fake rolex, scammers and mafia I rather go back Italy

3) Bangkok - I stay for almost an year. I'm sick of malls and Nana plaza.

4) Hua Hin - Meh. It's not bad but, at leat last time I check, too much crowned...

5) Cha-Am: I like the bar strip there. Ladies don't have the same aggressive behavior of Pattaya/Nana and the atmosphere it's pretty friendly - but the environment it's pretty crap...

6) Koh Chang: I used to love it. It's going to be the new Phuket in 5 years, I'll leave it to the russian.

7) Koh Samet: My first choose ATM. I love it, I love the beaches and the environment, I love the people. The huge problem is that - at least for what i see - the nightlife is almost non-existant (at least if you are a hetero male), and that's quite expensive (but i always go for just a day or two, so don't know on the long run)

The "perfect place" would be a small coast town with a couple of farang-friendly roads and bar... where should I go check something?

sihanoukville in cambodia , no visa problems like thailand, pay your 20$ at the border crossing and stay as long as you want. nice beaches, cheap, bars and ladies if you want them.

or i just love koh chang but it seems to me wherever you go yiu will think of some excuse to not like it after a while.

Krabi? :)

Yup, Ao Nang to be exact. Has a bit of everything including a small beer/girly bar area. The proximity to and magnetic pull of Phuket/Phi Phi is guaranteed to keep the Tourist hoards away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ao_Nang

During Rainy season you can go to Koh Samui or if you don't need to be near the ocean and have nice beaches I would seriously look at Chang Mai or Chang Rai. There is also the Buriram/Surin area which has the advantage of being within a days drive of Bkk.

Lot's of interesting options depending on what you want.

Edited by ES1

Try at trip to check Koh Samui - you may find all you are looking for;o)

How is compared to the other tourist Islands (koh chang/koh samet/phuket i.e. to name the ones I know)?

You said:

"The "perfect place" would be a small coast town with a couple of farang-friendly roads and bar... where should I go check something?"

- That you may find - plus a lot more - it's an option, but you will need to check-it-out yourself, if right or not for your lifestyle.

"the nightlife is almost non-existant (at least if you are a hetero male)"

Trying to work out what this means.

Is it full of gay bars? Or just lesbians? :blink:

Go to Silver Sand (should be the biggest bar/disco on the Island - and see pretty much gay couples around (not katoy, most plain gay)

This and north european girls coupled with the thai bf (always dressed like a pretty silly Bob Marley copy)*... I know only a bar with ladies (wich last time I check all Cambodia) and few freelancers

*this make me think, should we open a thread about north european girls and the exotic-bobmarley-copy-bf? I see a lot of this on many backpackers areas and wondering if this relationships works the same as bargirl an farang man... I mean, does the boy ask painful stories about the family buffalo that just died or just ask for barfine?

Try at trip to check Koh Samui - you may find all you are looking for;o)

How is compared to the other tourist Islands (koh chang/koh samet/phuket i.e. to name the ones I know)?

You said:

"The "perfect place" would be a small coast town with a couple of farang-friendly roads and bar... where should I go check something?"

- That you may find - plus a lot more - it's an option, but you will need to check-it-out yourself, if right or not for your lifestyle.

I will probabily go check it

Edited by Zerothai

Go to Silver Sand (should be the biggest bar/disco on the Island - and see pretty much gay couples around (not katoy, most plain gay)

This and north european girls coupled with the thai bf (always dressed like a pretty silly Bob Marley copy)*... I know only a bar with ladies (wich last time I check all Cambodia) and few freelancers

Oh, right. Certainly makes a change from the usual.

Just buy a car and start driving around until you find your little slice of paradise. I never really get these post, one guy asking a bunch of other guys what they think will work for them.

Then the moralist always shows up to make a commet about your life style. Who really care if someone goes to a bar or not, it is no secret that is why a lot of people come to Thailand even a few ladies.

From what you've written it looks as though there's no one place that's going to have exactly what you want. Perhaps consider this as an idea? It's kind of similiar to how I operate in Thailand.

I use Bangkok as my base (got my apt there) and move around as season and mood dictates. The good thing about Bangkok is that it's not a tourist based economy (such as many of the other places in Thailand) and you can live a fairly normal life there. Getting around is fairly easy if you use the BTS and MRT.

I normally stay in BKK during the peak tourist times: xmas/new year & song kran and then make short trips to other locations during the off seasons. I've found that May - October is the best time to hit Phuket due to the fact that prices, generally, seem to be a bit lower. The same is for samui from Feb - April.

Pattaya is only a 2 hr trip away if you feel like getting out of town for a couple of days,

Flights to Cambodia and other regional areas all originate in BKK anyway. If you're staying in an outlying location you'll need to make your way back to BKK to get on a flight.

All the best.

From what you've written it looks as though there's no one place that's going to have exactly what you want. Perhaps consider this as an idea? It's kind of similiar to how I operate in Thailand.

I use Bangkok as my base (got my apt there) and move around as season and mood dictates. The good thing about Bangkok is that it's not a tourist based economy (such as many of the other places in Thailand) and you can live a fairly normal life there. Getting around is fairly easy if you use the BTS and MRT.

I normally stay in BKK during the peak tourist times: xmas/new year & song kran and then make short trips to other locations during the off seasons. I've found that May - October is the best time to hit Phuket due to the fact that prices, generally, seem to be a bit lower. The same is for samui from Feb - April.

Pattaya is only a 2 hr trip away if you feel like getting out of town for a couple of days,

Flights to Cambodia and other regional areas all originate in BKK anyway. If you're staying in an outlying location you'll need to make your way back to BKK to get on a flight.

All the best.

Thats is a very good way to do it, okay it demands a bit of money- flight tickets- hotels and so on, but instead of seeing the same scenery again and again you leave "town" and charge the batteries, cool.

I myself left BKK permanently after 3 years, I had enough of the traffic and living in a condo, so I told my then GF, I am moving. I now have a family (GF= wife, he-he) here in Pattaya, bought a very nice house and I love it, and as you said: the airport is close by. But everybody is different, thankfully.