Uk Civil Partnership

isanbirder

Does anybody know whether registration for a UK Civil Partnership is accepted at the British Embassy or Consulates in Thailand? After ten years, and initial opposition, my prospective parents-in-law have said they would be happy for us to make it official. Since it's not available under Thai law, British law is the only possibility.

Correct, endure, Vietnam.

I did mine in HCMC a few years ago (single figures in the Registration Book!) and there are details of the process here in this Forum as well as at length on the British Embassy Vietnam website . If you need any specifics or details of anything not covered there please PM me (or ask here if it may be of help to anyone else).

Two months ago I sent an email to the British Embassy asking at which embassies in Asia a civil partnership could be performed. No reply. But no surprise there.

Does anyone know of any other places in Asia (apart from Hanoi and HCMC) where CPs can be performed?

Two months ago I sent an email to the British Embassy asking at which embassies in Asia a civil partnership could be performed. No reply. But no surprise there.

Does anyone know of any other places in Asia (apart from Hanoi and HCMC) where CPs can be performed?

AFAIK it is only possible in Vietnam and Japan.

AFAIK it is only possible in Vietnam and Japan.

I knew about Vietnam but not about Japan.

There are other countries OUTSIDE Asia where the local UK embassy will do the CP. I believe that S. Africa (surprisingly) is one place, although I may be wrong.

Charivari is correct. If you click the link in his post above, you will see that several of us discussed this whole issue in some depth (on here) during 2008 or 2009, when I was looking for similar advice. AFAIK, the status quo persists, and the issues/solutions are the same.

Eddy

Edited by pauleddy

I knew about Vietnam but not about Japan.

There are other countries OUTSIDE Asia where the local UK embassy will do the CP. I believe that S. Africa (surprisingly) is one place, although I may be wrong.

Charivari is correct. If you click the link in his post above, you will see that several of us discussed this whole issue in some depth (on here) during 2008 or 2009, when I was looking for similar advice. AFAIK, the status quo persists, and the issues/solutions are the same.

Eddy

Yes and no, pauleddy.

You can register a same-sex marriage under South African law under the Civil Union Act of 2006, if you qualify, but as a consequence you can't register a British Civil Partnership there. You can't register a British Civil Partnership at any British Embassy/Consulate in a country which has its own civil partnership or same-sex marriage legislation; you can't, for example, register a Civil Partnership in a British Consulate in Tasmania as Tasmania recognises same-sex marriage, but you can elsewhere in Australia as the other States/Territories don't (yet); once Australia passes Federal same-sex marriage legislation then you won't be able to register a CP at any British Embassy/Consulate in OZ.

British Embassies (and some Consulates) in the following countries have been given permission to register Civil Partnerships by their host countries - there were others, but once gay marriage/civil partnership was permitted there, so the British Embassies could no longer register CPs:

Australia, Bulgaria, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Guatemala, Israel, Japan, Latvia, Moldova, Mongolia, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Turkmenistan, Uruguay, Venezuela and Vietnam.

There are some restrictions, though, so check first; in Vietnam, for example, you can't register a CP with a Vietnamese national and I think some other countries apply similar restrictions.

Thanks.

You have detailed knowledge!

I am sure that some folk will appreciate this, especially those seeking CP.

My own query was whether I could take my Thai BF to Spain (where I have residency but not citizenship), for a CP, even tho I am a Brit. Some towns in Spain have gay mayors (etc.) and are 120% happy to 'marry' s-s couples. As an EU national and Spanish residency holder, I could marry a Spaniard tomorrow. But, I am not sure whether I could marry my Thai BF if he just turned up with me on his visa. I guess not.

Eddy

Has anybody actually asked (of someone authoritative, e.g. the FCO) why the Embassy in Thailand does not register CPs?

It's quite straightforward. CPs are only available if the hosting country agrees. Thailand doesn't agree.

Other countries, such as Vietnam, impose additional restrictions, such as that neither partner may be a Vietnamese national.

Even though the embassy is British sovereign territory, the risk off offending some Thai bureaucrats is seen as more important than the happiness of same sex couples and recognition of their legal rights under UK law.

Well, ib, if they had agreed then the Embassy would be allowed to register CPs.

Since they aren't, and everywhere that has a British Embassy was asked officially once the Bill was passed, the "assumption" that Thailand didn't agree is a pretty reasonable one (unless the correspondence was lost in the mail somewhere!).

Some, like the Hong Kong SAR made their views public, while most others maintained a "diplomatic silence".

• 3 months later...

i have just found this post,and i see its been dormant for some time, but hopefully somebody will find it. i am a British national but live and work in Germany, i have a question.

If and when i do register a Civil partnership, is it easier to obtain travel visas back to the UK, secondly what are the laws and rules about Thai nationals travelling around Europe, i.e. to obtain a visa for Germany is nearly impossible, so could we freely move around or even settle in another EU country.

Any info, help or sarcastic comments are welcome.

Good news Rusty!

Once you have registered your partnership with the British authorities, your partner will be eligible for a Schengen Visa at no cost. As a EU citizen using your right to work in another EU country than your own, the German (or other country's) authorities, are forced to respect your right to 'family' life. Once your partner has joined you in Germany (or other Schengen country where you are resident, as a 'worker') you can apply for a residence permit on the basis of your relationship. The duration of the initial residence permit varies from country to country, but even in Denmark which has an otherwise hostile attitude to non-European immigrants, my partner got a 5 year permit straight away. If your partner does not wish to stay in Europe but only visit, then you can continue to apply for a Schengen visa for each visit. But I can imagine that questions may be asked about the context of the relationship, if you continued to do this for a longer period of time.

The UK is not part of the Schengen agreement, so other rules apply. But if resident in Germany, your partner can quite easily apply for a Family Permit to enter the UK. This is usually a 6 month 'visa' that ensures right of entry to the UK to non EU citizens, when accompanied by their EU citizen partners. This is again free! It is important to be able to prove that you, the EU citizen partner, are resident in another EU country than your own, as a 'worker'.

Although the EU quite often gets slated, it does offer some advantages for those of us who have upped and moved to other EU countries. In my case (and hopefully in yours), it has given a significant advantage simply by being able to overrule prohibitive national immigration laws, with EU rules, designed to protect my right to a family life.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

• Like 1

Good news Rusty!

Once you have registered your partnership with the British authorities, your partner will be eligible for a Schengen Visa at no cost. As a EU citizen using your right to work in another EU country than your own, the German (or other country's) authorities, are forced to respect your right to 'family' life. Once your partner has joined you in Germany (or other Schengen country where you are resident, as a 'worker') you can apply for a residence permit on the basis of your relationship. The duration of the initial residence permit varies from country to country, but even in Denmark which has an otherwise hostile attitude to non-European immigrants, my partner got a 5 year permit straight away. If your partner does not wish to stay in Europe but only visit, then you can continue to apply for a Schengen visa for each visit. But I can imagine that questions may be asked about the context of the relationship, if you continued to do this for a longer period of time.

The UK is not part of the Schengen agreement, so other rules apply. But if resident in Germany, your partner can quite easily apply for a Family Permit to enter the UK. This is usually a 6 month 'visa' that ensures right of entry to the UK to non EU citizens, when accompanied by their EU citizen partners. This is again free! It is important to be able to prove that you, the EU citizen partner, are resident in another EU country than your own, as a 'worker'.

Although the EU quite often gets slated, it does offer some advantages for those of us who have upped and moved to other EU countries. In my case (and hopefully in yours), it has given a significant advantage simply by being able to overrule prohibitive national immigration laws, with EU rules, designed to protect my right to a family life.

If you have specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, just one question would she then have to do the language course, if staying 6 months or longer, but thanks again cheers

I assume you are referring to either the German or British language course?

The German language course can not be demanded of your registered partner if he/she(?) is joining you in Germany. The German language demands are part of German national law which is outweighed by European law. As a EU national resident and working in another EU country than your home country, you can demand that European law is applied.

With regard to the UK, if you are first resident (and working) together in another EU country from which you apply for a EU family permit to enter the UK, there are no language provisions or demands. If you then decide to stay in the UK, your partner can apply for a residence card as the (non-EU)partner of a EU citizen. Although normally national law applies to citizens of their own country, if they have been resident and employed in another EU country, they are treated as any other non-national EU citizens.

Basically, no language courses, cash deposits or other demands can be made as long as you fulfill the requirements to be treated as a EU citizen making use of the right to reside and work in another EU country than your own.

More information from the UK Border Agency. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/ and http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-family/ . The rules outlined in the linked pages are based on European law and should be applied uniformly throughout the EU. As I mentioned before, my own experience is in Denmark, where after a little discussion we had no problems at all. The UK does pass out Family Permits without too much stress but a lot of paperwork. We just visited the UK with no problems apart from a flustered 'Border Agent' who got caught out by my partner's very feminine appearance giggle.gif

• Like 1

I assume you are referring to either the German or British language course?

The German language course can not be demanded of your registered partner if he/she(?) is joining you in Germany. The German language demands are part of German national law which is outweighed by European law. As a EU national resident and working in another EU country than your home country, you can demand that European law is applied.

With regard to the UK, if you are first resident (and working) together in another EU country from which you apply for a EU family permit to enter the UK, there are no language provisions or demands. If you then decide to stay in the UK, your partner can apply for a residence card as the (non-EU)partner of a EU citizen. Although normally national law applies to citizens of their own country, if they have been resident and employed in another EU country, they are treated as any other non-national EU citizens.

Basically, no language courses, cash deposits or other demands can be made as long as you fulfill the requirements to be treated as a EU citizen making use of the right to reside and work in another EU country than your own.

More information from the UK Border Agency. http://www.ukba.home...-family-permit/ and http://www.ukba.home...cuments-family/ . The rules outlined in the linked pages are based on European law and should be applied uniformly throughout the EU. As I mentioned before, my own experience is in Denmark, where after a little discussion we had no problems at all. The UK does pass out Family Permits without too much stress but a lot of paperwork. We just visited the UK with no problems apart from a flustered 'Border Agent' who got caught out by my partner's very feminine appearance giggle.gif

thank you very much wai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

British Embassies (and some Consulates) in the following countries have been given permission to register Civil Partnerships by their host countries - there were others, but once gay marriage/civil partnership was permitted there, so the British Embassies could no longer register CPs:

Australia, Bulgaria, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Guatemala, Israel, Japan, Latvia, Moldova, Mongolia, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Turkmenistan, Uruguay, Venezuela and Vietnam.

There are some restrictions, though, so check first; in Vietnam, for example, you can't register a CP with a Vietnamese national and I think some other countries apply similar restrictions.

I guess we (my Brit partner and myself-Vietnamese) will have to go to the Philippines to register a CP. That sounds ridiculous.