Bangkok Braces For Flash Floods

webfact

Bangkokians brace for flash floods

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

30165750-01.jpg

Bangkok residents living by the Chao Phraya river are advised to brace today for possible swelling and ensuing flash floods, as water reaches a critical level as it travels southward to the capital.

Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut, citing the latest flood level update from irrigation resources, said the influx of water would reach 3,900 cubic metres per second while the Chao Phraya's critical level was at 3,720.

He said the ministry was considering building a Bt10-billion flood way to divert more water to sea outlets through the Chao Phraya dam bypassing Tha Chin River and Makham Thao canal in Chaiyanat and Uthai Thani provinces.

Sanya Sheenimit, director of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Department of Drainage and Sewerage, said the situation remained normal but was under close watch.

Heavy rain could worsen the problem, as it would add to the Chao Phraya's rise.

In heavily-flooded Ayutthaya, residents and farmers in Sena and Phak Hai districts are said to have resorted to eating snakes and rats or selling them in different menus to earn income after weeks of inundation.

Premature harvesting of rice is widespread in many central provinces where farmlands are flooded, forcing lower rice prices for farmers. In Lop Buri, a flash flood from a recent breakdown of a dam is causing additional inundation of another 20,000 rai of rice paddies, and affecting 3,000 households.

The floods have claimed 132 lives and 3,000 people are depressed, the Public Health Ministry said. About 80 per cent of the fatalities resulted from drowning in flood waters.

Public Health Ministry Wittaya Buranasiri said 8,396 people in 26 provinces reported diseases related to flooding such as athlete's foot, flu, and fatigue.

About 3,040 are suffering from mental health problems, with 339 cases at risk of committing suicide and 410 cases being closely monitored for unexpected symptoms.

The Public Health Ministry has sent over 125,000 pharmaceutical sets to help flood victims in 10 provinces.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-09-21

There can't be any floods in Bangkok. The chief of the irrigation department said yesterday that there wouldn't be any. We'll see if that statement joins the "There is no prostitution" and "There are no gambling dens" hall of fame.

flash floods,

Does this comment mean that the fair innocent young and not so young damsels of Bangkok are to possibly be subjected to an outbreak of hordes of rather decrepit aged men in raincoats suddenly exposing themselves to aforementioned innocent young or not so young damsels?

stupidmen.gif

Edited by siampolee

He said the ministry was considering building a Bt10-billion flood way to divert more water to sea outlets through the Chao Phraya dam bypassing Tha Chin River and Makham Thao canal in Chaiyanat and Uthai Thani provinces.

Excellent. I hope they can finish it by 2pm.

Excellent. I hope they can finish it by 2pm.

No need to panic, they going to string tug boats across the river at stratgic locations and use the props to push the flood water into the gulf quicker...

If they could just harness the power of all the hot air coming out of these blowhards they could blow the water back to the gulf and dry half of it up!

The canals around Suwannaphum looked dangerously full when I was out on my walk yesterday but that was under blazing skies.

Today the skies look leaden and threatening and as I took my morning constitutional there were teams of sandbaggers out in the sois around the airport perimeter at King Kaew.

Today the skies look leaden and threatening and as I took my morning constitutional there were teams of sandbaggers out in the sois around the airport perimeter at King Kaew.

Do you mean you sh*t in street ? or you can see the sandbaggers out your bathroom window while taking a dump ?.......i am confused..:D

There can't be any floods in Bangkok. The chief of the irrigation department said yesterday that there wouldn't be any. We'll see if that statement joins the "There is no prostitution" and "There are no gambling dens" hall of fame.

There won't be any floods in Bangkok, unless.........

Provinces like Ayuthaya, Ang Thong, Chai Nat, Nakon Sawan have to suffer instead, like usual the rich will be saved !