Bung Sam Lan Lake Fishing

TAHISA

After receiving a quote for a days guided fishing Tour at Bung Sam Lake, wondered it it would be cheaper to make out own way there by Taxi. Quoted 12000 BHT. We are staying at Pathumwan Princess Siam. How far would this be and how much would one expect to pay for a taxi or even to hire a taxi for the day? Would like to do some calculations of our own to see if we could save some money.

Thanks for any replies and info.

With a work permit, I pay 500 Baht to fish with my own rod- without a work permit, it's 1,000. Then there's about 120 for 2 buckets of bait and another 60 to rent a net. All in, I'm at 700 or so to fish. Add another 1000 or so to rent a rod and reel if you don't bring your own. I'd be surprised if you'd spend over 3,000. You can hire a guide at the front desk for 1,000 baht and I recommend it for your first trip- I did and I was glad. If you let them, they'll do everything but fight the fish for you.

I pay about 150 baht for a taxi from Soi 23- close to Soi Cowboy.

Here's what I copied and pasted from their website that I hand to the driver. I won't hop in a taxi that won't turn on the meter because they ask for 400 Baht to go anywhere from my hotel.

บ่อตกปลาบึงสำราญ

21/596ซอยนวมินทร์ 42 ถนนนวมินทร์

แขวงบึงกุ่ม เขตบางกะปิ

กรุงเทพ 10240

โทร. 02-734-9272

E-mail: [email protected]

Good luck!

Edited by impulse

12000bht for a day at bungsamran is outrageously expensive!

Would be curious to know who quoted you this price? I,m quite regular at bsr 1-2 times per week and infact was there yesterday,

The price for the day is 400bht if you have a work permit or thai driving licence and if not then you have to pay the very immoral more than double pricing of 1000bht,

Never rented a rod but i believe the rental price is 800bht+deposit, As for the bait i pay 600bht for a sack of lam which would last me 4-5 times fishing there... cant remember the price per bucket,

A guide will cost 1000bht and the bungalows range from 600bht-5000bht but if going on a week day or night the pier is not too crowded.

In fairness, 12,000 baht sounds like a lot, but that's $400 USD. Hire a fishing guide in the USA and you'll be paying that- probably for a half day. He'll provide his boat at some cost to him- while the guide here will be paying your entry fee into the lake and providing tackle and bait, plus transportation to the lake. If (as the OP indicates), there's more than one of you, that's less than $200 per head- not a bad deal in international fishing circles.

If you want western quality guiding, count on paying western prices.

I choose to do it myself because I'm cheap and I can. But if I were in Bangkok for just a few days on business, I'd gladly pay $200-400 USD to fish in a lake that's made the rounds of Discovery Channel, National Geographic and thousands of Youtube videos.

Edited by impulse

I fish BSR a lot with friends. You can do it yourself and get quality. You don't need an Western guide, in BSR there is no added bonus. The guides they hire out there are sufficient.

You could even do it without a guide ( I don't recommend that for firs timers).

1000 to get in

800 for a rod

800 (basic bungalow for 1 person) or pier (free)

50-60 bt per bucket of lam (don't know the exact price i buy bags)

600 transportation (going and back)

Makes it around 3000 bt That is loads less then quoted at farang fishing sites and the 12k by the driver.

I pay around 700 a time. I use my own rod and go through half a bag of lam during a session. (get in cheaper because i got a Thai DL). I drive myself there. But for a tourist this is not an option.

I pay around 600 bt a time for shadow lake too.. then i fish with 2 rods (bait is more expensive there)