The Sign Says 5B .....

Darrel

-- You didn't use the internet but that's not the point; that's what their customers typically do (because they are an internet shop) and that's why they had the sign as they did. Moreover, as I said, you pay to use the PC. (Because she was not kind enough or her shop is not service oriented enough to do it for you).

-- Your last paragraph is one of the more thick dim-witted straw men I've seen (and the bar is set pretty high -- or is it low): nowhere did I ever suggest or imply in anyway anything as idiotic as that.

How do you know what her customers "typically" do? How does anyone know? Why should anyone care?

The sign says "print/copy 5B". There are no extras mentioned. Or do you think that I should also pay 1B for paper and 1B for ink? They aren't specifically mentioned as being included, and maybe her customers "typically" take their own paper and ink.

If you saw a sign in a restaurant saying "noodle soup 30B", would you expect to pay bowl and spoon rental also? Of 5B for electricity to heat it up? I dont think so. So to suggest that some sort of unexplained extra payment is acceptable for a printing job is pure insanity, and this matches your clear suggestion that it is reasonable to be charged for extra "services" that one doesn't want and never received, simply because the shop offers them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would consider a 'print shop' as a photo/printer Fuji shop or similar. As well as a photocopier, printers ets they will usually have 2 or so computers for printing comp. docs. No internet service available.

You use these computers to print the docs you want, and only pay the price for the printing. That is a print shop.

You didn't use one of these did you. You used an internet shop and used one of the computers they rent out.

I would consider that Fuji shop to be a photo printing shop. I would go there to make photographic prints or passport photos, or copies in a stand-alone photocopier. I would not go there to print a paper document, or to use the internet or make a phone call or send a fax. By the same token I wouldnt expect to get passport photos done at an internet shop.

I went to a general shop that does everything except photographic work: internet, printing, copying, phone call, faxes. I dont expect an extra charge for one thing when I'm only doing another unrelated one.

You're quite an absolutist, aren't you? There can be no discussion? Wow. Forgive me but I'm going to do what you say can't be done: discuss it.

The sign was unclear if indeed it the (unstated) policy, as I and others suggested in previous post and which does exist in some places; 'printing of things you get off our PC cost 5 baht in addition to the cost of the use of the PC -- which we take as a given as we don't do it it any other way.'

I'm not defending anything. I'm stating it isn't necessarily a blatant ripoff. As for the apparent attempt to assign anyone that doesn't side with you to being a supporter of ripoof artists or whatever...

When Jet Skis first came to Pattaya -- I was living there -- I had no problems when I rented. Apparently by the time the scams began to be so pervasive or universal, I had my own. So I've never had any occasion to discuss them and certainly haven't the slightest inclination to defend them (or moan about them). I have no interest in estate agents and don't believe I have ever wasted anytime discussing them let alone defending them.

Now, want to know what I find extraordinary? Probably not but I'll tell you: Your behavior on the day and continuing self-righteous indignation over the issue now; "principle" or not we are -- incredibly -- talking about 5 baht.

-- You didn't use the internet but that's not the point; that's what their customers typically do (because they are an internet shop) and that's why they had the sign as they did. Moreover, as I said, you pay to use the PC. (Because she was not kind enough or her shop is not service oriented enough to do it for you).

-- Your last paragraph is one of the more thick dim-witted straw men I've seen (and the bar is set pretty high -- or is it low): nowhere did I ever suggest or imply in anyway anything as idiotic as that.

How do you know what her customers "typically" do? How does anyone know? Why should anyone care?

The sign says "print/copy 5B". There are no extras mentioned. Or do you think that I should also pay 1B for paper and 1B for ink? They aren't specifically mentioned as being included, and maybe her customers "typically" take their own paper and ink.

If you saw a sign in a restaurant saying "noodle soup 30B", would you expect to pay bowl and spoon rental also? Of 5B for electricity to heat it up? I dont think so. So to suggest that some sort of unexplained extra payment is acceptable for a printing job is pure insanity, and this matches your clear suggestion that it is reasonable to be charged for extra "services" that one doesn't want and never received, simply because the shop offers them.

Again -- wow.

I don't know what customers typically do in an internet shop. No one could possibly work that out, could they? It's hard to even imagine what it might be...

Yes, I think you should pay pay 1B for paper and 1B for ink. I'm sure her customers "typically" take their own paper and ink.

Yes, if I saw a sign in a restaurant saying "noodle soup 30B", I would expect to pay bowl and spoon rental also. And 5B for electricity to heat it up. Of course.

These are all precisely analogous scenarios you have presented. Well done. There can be no denying it -- a horrible thing has been attempted and I'm just grateful there are stalwart people like you to not only stand up in defiance to these (fat) evildoers but to also let us all know about it!

You're not only right, you're awesome.

I have used several shops in central Pattaya over the years for printing. They have all been of the internet/print/fax/telephone type: indeed I've never actually seen any other type of shop, except photo printing shops of the Kodak type, which are much rarer than the standard do-it-all shop and are not the place I would go to print a paper document anyway. The shop I generally go to, in Soi Post Office, closes at 6pm though so I was just too late to go there. I go to that shop because I know it does everything; print, fax, calls, internet etc. etc.

None (except this one) has ever attempted to make any sort of extra charge for printing, above the cost per page.

The sign on the wall was extremely clear: print/copy 5B. There can be no discussion about this.

Would I also have been charged extra for making a copy? On what grounds?

I find it extraordinary that anyone should even attempt to defend this sort of blatant rip-off. Though it's true that some misguided people here have been known to defend estate agents and jet-ski operators also.

You weren't charged extra for the printing, you paid 5 baht as per the sign. I've printed things off before in internet cafes and have always just assumed I will be charged for using their computer in addition to the copies.

What if it took you 1/2 an hour to load the document and eventually print it for whatever reason, or your USB stick contained viruses (pretty common).

I would consider a 'print shop' as a photo/printer Fuji shop or similar. As well as a photocopier, printers ets they will usually have 2 or so computers for printing comp. docs. No internet service available.

You use these computers to print the docs you want, and only pay the price for the printing. That is a print shop.

You didn't use one of these did you. You used an internet shop and used one of the computers they rent out.

I would consider that Fuji shop to be a photo printing shop. I would go there to make photographic prints or passport photos, or copies in a stand-alone photocopier. I would not go there to print a paper document,

Perhaps you should. After all, it's a service most of them provide.

I wouldnt expect to get passport photos done at an internet shop.

And you'd be quite right.

It seems you think these internet cafes are the only places that offer a printing service though.

They're not.

35 years in Asia you say. :ermm:

The printing is a service for the people who are paying to use the computers, you couldn't print the page without using the computer so why shouldn't you have to pay to use the computer?

Agreed. You get charged for the use of the computer/internet service and that was 30 baht an hour. It is 5 baht for a copy. She should have charged him 35 baht as not her fault that he only wanted to use the computer for just a few minutes but she was nice and charged him 10 baht and he ripped her off for 5 baht. Pretty petty to say the least.

Edited by pbay

And how much was the minimum cost of using the computers/internet on the sign?

There was no such price. I gave the full price list in my original post.

I walked past there again earlier this evening and noticed that the shop is also a travel agency, and has signs up for taxis to BKK (800B) and visa runs to Cambodia (2000B).

I suppose I should also have paid for those, along with the internet I didn't need, want or use.

You weren't charged extra for the printing, you paid 5 baht as per the sign. I've printed things off before in internet cafes and have always just assumed I will be charged for using their computer in addition to the copies.

That has never happened to me anywhere in the entire world (until yesterday). You make some odd assumptions.

What if it took you 1/2 an hour to load the document and eventually print it for whatever reason, or your USB stick contained viruses (pretty common).

This is why the shopkeeper normally handles it. I have never been required to put the key in myself in other shops. I give them the key, they print the document, I pay for the printing according to the list price. I dont pay extra for service, electricity, ink, paper or anything else.

Had something similar happen at the barber, The price were posted in thai on the wall.

So I new the price for a hair cut. When i was done the barber who cut my hair told me 40 baht,

the owner spoke up and said 60baht for the farang. I said it was 40 baht showed him the sign and he still insisted on 60 so I played.

I did let him know in another way i would never be back. There is another barber shop across the other side of the soi and the next time i went to get

my hair cut I made sure he seen me go in to the other one and I smiled at him and waved hehe.

There are suttle ways things can be done with out saying anything and the point drives home even harder than saying anything.

I TOTALLY agree with the OP! :rolleyes:

Being a big-time user of printing facilities, I'm happy to say that I'd never consider visiting a shop (more than once) that offers printing services, only to be told that the cost was "different" than what was stated on the sign. <_<

Also, I'm happy to say that in the places I get my own printing done have internet (and other) services - the owner/manager accepts my disk and prints what I need printing - WITHOUT adding any extra costs for this, that or the other. :D

As has been pointed out - it's not a case of a "measly" 5 baht. Who, in their right mind, would accept that paying extra costs for signed services was "normal", whatever the amount was?! :bah:

Good on you, OP, for your thread!

I'm off to the print shop................

Darrel - you did the right thing - you voted with your feet. Any one with more than one brain cell knows you are right. Any one else who is critical of your actions must be easily pleased or willing to be ripped off.

Maybe the (fat) woman has heard that if you borrow 5 baht from every one you meet you are a Bhat / Bath / Baht / Bt millionaire after you meet the 200,000th person you rip off.

Note I still do not know how to spell Bhat...?

Darrel - you did the right thing - you voted with your feet. Any one with more than one brain cell knows you are right. Any one else who is critical of your actions must be easily pleased or willing to be ripped off.

Maybe the (fat) woman has heard that if you borrow 5 baht from every one you meet you are a Bhat / Bath / Baht / Bt millionaire after you meet the 200,000th person you rip off.

Note I still do not know how to spell Bhat...?

... or anyone so upset by something so trivial is not suited for life in Thailand. You guys must walk around angry all the time, complaining about 5 baht rises in prices, imagined rip-offs more likely due to misunderstandings, and all those irrelevant comparisons to how it is/was in your home country.

But you are entertaining. Keep posting.

I travel with my laptop but, obviously, not a printer. On the rare occasions I need to print I take the stick to the internet place and EXPECT to pay for the minimal computer time use, AND the print per page.

...... and I thought I was the cheapest Cheap Charlie on here..... Wow.

Man some of you guys are so petty. For god sake the persons in business and your quibbling over 5 baht. Amazing. if she had been pleasant and sexy would you have complained, I doubt it?

I've also been living in Thailand for many years and understand that some Thai business practices are a little odd to say the least. But 5 baht, why bother.

Yes, exactly. The OP felt the need to say this,

I offered my USB key to the fat woman in charge,

implying that the woman's size was somehow relevant.

I'm glad someone else noticed He actually mentioned it twice...

I offered my USB key to the fat woman in charge, saying "print one page please kap". No reply, but she looked at me and waved vaguely towards the nearest PC, so I sat down, plugged in the key, brought up the pdf file and clicked on "print", which I suppose took about 30 seconds in all. Removed the key, walked back to the fat woman who gave me the printed page when it came out of the printer on her desk and bluntly said "10 Baht".

The first time was gratuitously nasty the second...well, as childish and spiteful as he was on the day and here on the thread.

We get paid, or our income, is in thousands of baht.

You gotta be cheaper than the cheapest charlie to worry about the odd 5 and 10 baht bit of shrapnel.

Those who say "it's a matter of principle" wouldn't dare act the same with m/c taxis or jet ski guys coz they're bigger than you.

"only 5 baht, not worth the hassle", you'd say, then run away.

I'm glad someone else noticed He actually mentioned it twice...

The first time was gratuitously nasty the second...well, as childish and spiteful as he was on the day and here on the thread.

Ah, so it's now a crime to use a factual adjective, is it?

But yet it seems the crime doesnt extend to your own use of two totally subjective ones. I wonder why?

You really are clutching at straws.

Oh dear, oh dear,

Why would anyone waste time for bitching about a 5 Baht major scam.

Beats me, but anyway hilarious topic :lol:

Yermanee :jap:

All of Darrels posts are about saving 1 or 2 baht here or there, it appears he spends all his time searching for these tiny savings - pathetic!

JH