Wont Be Many Brits Left Here Soon 47 Baht To Sterling Oh Dear

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you may find it suits TOT.

The rate will deter (or even force back to the UK) the 'old guys'.

If they want to come to Thailand, tourists will come to Thailand irrespective of the exchange rate.

Its quite normal for a strong baht,leading into Peak Holiday Season,come the end of January into February,it should be back to 49-50 bahts to the pound,fingers crossed,and no political Disasters etc.

I would agree, the best time to do things with money is may, june, july when the tourists have gone and the rate is at its best. Baring any unforeseen disiasters like the one that is sweeping the globe at the moment.

Going back to the UK? The prices will be like a wet fish in the face. I was back earlier this year and saw my fuel bills double in june and now it looks like the bgrs are back for more! Pensioners may get some refielf in an uplift from the frozen position but that will soon decline. Best to go back as an asylum seeker, they get a good deal.

Edited by nong38

45 two years ago, can anyone see the light if any ) at the end of the tunnel ? not much better here in uk, a can of corned beef is on average £160, it was half that price 2 years ago, gas has doubled, electric has doubled , most food has doubled. scary days indeed blink.gif

£160 for a can of corned beef??? Mildred !! Hand me the noose !!! :whistling:

Well puts up the cost, of making a 'hash' of things, they'll have to eat gateau instead ! :lol:

[i would hold my tongue, the guy is clearly trolling.

If you look back at his old posts, almost every single one claims that Europe's contributions to the world are very minimal. I think that it is fair to say that he is obssesed with promoting this point of view. :D

He doesn't have any understanding of European History either,fact of the matter is most of the world changing Inventions,Discoveries,and Technology break throughs were................

English,French,German,and other European Countries,as another Poster has pointed out the World would be 100 years behind without Europes gifts,and huge leaps in advancement to the World.

And of course we must not forget many leading Historical Inventions from America,before I am accused of bias.

Edited by MAJIC

Those of you who can remember what happened in 1997, how about joining me in a petition to George Soros and his cronies....... come back, George, do it again.....please!

It won't matter to me this time - my company went belly up last time he was around.

I think you mean 1992...

Or are you suggesting that its the baht that is being kept artificially high?

SC

Those of you who can remember what happened in 1997, how about joining me in a petition to George Soros and his cronies....... come back, George, do it again.....please!

It won't matter to me this time - my company went belly up last time he was around.

I think you mean 1992...

SC

I think he is getting his history scrambled - July 97 was the start of the Asian financial crisis that saw the Baht drop to 75 to the £ from memory and 92 was when Soros bet big against the £ and we fell out of the ERM or whatever.

Unfortunately for the £ i think Thai banks are in a very different state to 97 (supposedly much stronger) but who really knows?

I think you mean 1992...

SC

I think he is getting his history scrambled - July 97 was the start of the Asian financial crisis that saw the Baht drop to 75 to the £ from memory and 92 was when Soros bet big against the £ and we fell out of the ERM or whatever.

Unfortunately for the £ i think Thai banks are in a very different state to 97 (supposedly much stronger) but who really knows?

I don't think it was so much that the banks were in a poor state in 1997 (though they were) but rather that the currency was being kept artificially high through policy, when the balance of trade was not sufficient to support that rate, and the government lacked the reserves to recall the money supply, if necessary. In this case, the general opinion appears to be that the pound is subject to further decline, and therefore the relevant comparison would be 1992 when the UK government tried to defend the pound's position in the ERM with insufficient reserves.

As I understand it, In 1997 the Thai banks were in a poor state because they had borrowed dollars to lend baht at an artificially inflated rate against property assets that were speculatively over-valued.

The economy could not support the massive inflation that would be required to support the devaluation (unlike the UK in 1992) hence the misfortune associated with 1997 here.

SC

Its been about 47baht give or take a few baht for a long long time ..!

Yeah, might be a few struggling, but those that are living and working here are unlikely to really worry. Those that have had good pension plans will not really be too distressed either. Those that had little in terms of pension payments will likely be the ones who are really going struggle. I know plenty of Brits here, and none that I know are on the brink of leaving.

I don't see either the UK or USA facing

1) civil war

2) war with a neighboring country

3) crazy proxy government

(OK, well, maybe No. 3)

Predicting currency fluctuations is similar to betting on horse racing.

Let's face it, tomorrow you could be killed crossing the street, why worry about what you can't control.

Put your faith in Buddha to look after you, etc.

It would take 20bht to the UKP or 15bht to USD, to reduce me to the lifestyle I had in the west, and that lifestyle wasn't too bad either. (but still no tax or heating bills)

Edited by ludditeman

Its looking somewhat inevitable that there will be some QE (quantative easing) applied sooner or later by the B0E. In that case the £ will be sub 45B. As the Euro speeds its way south it will drag sterling with it. You do have to wonder just how long the BOT will maintain the baht at this rate. Dangerous times around the corner for all.

Its hard to imagine that ANY country will escape the current financial turmoil.

But, I'd be the first to admit that I know nothing about financial markets. How Thailand has managed to keep the baht so strong is beyond me.

Thailand (presumably) does not have the 'debt' problems in the West. But it is hardly the 'leading edge' in business or a country that has a wealthy population that is still 'buying'.

When we compare exchange rates, we should really compare Thailand with say, the Chinese, who are willing to take the pain of dragging their exchange rate down to match or at least follow the devaluation of the US dollar. That must be giving them rampant inflation...

SC

1) civil war

(OK, well, maybe No. 3)

Let's face it, tomorrow you could be killed crossing the street, why worry about what you can't control.

It would take 20bht to the UKP or 15bht to USD, to reduce me to the lifestyle I had in the west, and that lifestyle wasn't too bad either. (but still no tax or heating bills)

I can see a 'civil war' happening in the UK, when the middle class are hit by the 'cuts'.

They've gone through the 'MP's expenses' scandal, they're reading how 'top peoples' salaries are rising, whilst theirs are falling - not the stuff to convince them "we are all in this together".

The Brits are the last in the line when it comes to getting angry enough to 'do something about it' - but I think its going to happen in the next couple of years.

I just hope I'm wrong and that the UK doesn't fare as badly as I think it will in the future.

The Euro - who knows?? Germany and France are determined to 'keep it together', but its hard to see how this can happen with Euro countries failing.

Edited by F1fanatic

I think you mean 1992...

SC

i don.t think he meant 1992, as it was 1997 that the baht crashed.

I think you mean 1992...

SC

In a sense, that was nothing to do with George Soros. It was an inevitable consequence of the policy of maintaining an unsupportable exchange rate; George Soros merely accelerated the inevitable so that he could profit from it. Now, if my understanding of previous posters is correct, people believe that the value of the pound is likely to decline further, and so if George Soros were to become involved, it would be to precipitate that decline and profit from others' efforts to delay it. As he did in 1992. Personally, I've tried to avoid gambling on currencies, and prefer to tie my investments in productive income-generating assets

SC

Its looking somewhat inevitable that there will be some QE (quantative easing) applied sooner or later by the B0E. In that case the £ will be sub 45B. As the Euro speeds its way south it will drag sterling with it. You do have to wonder just how long the BOT will maintain the baht at this rate. Dangerous times around the corner for all.

Its hard to imagine that ANY country will escape the current financial turmoil.

But, I'd be the first to admit that I know nothing about financial markets. How Thailand has managed to keep the baht so strong is beyond me.

Thailand (presumably) does not have the 'debt' problems in the West. But it is hardly the 'leading edge' in business or a country that has a wealthy population that is still 'buying'.

Thailand has a budget surplus, where as the UK has a £10BN a month deficit that keeps growing despite Daves cuts that werent actually cuts.

Until Britain figures out that more debt isnt the cure to its debt problem then who knows how bad itll get.

Im ok for now currently paid in $$.

Edited by houseinbkk

I think you mean 1992...

SC

In a sense, that was nothing to do with George Soros. It was an inevitable consequence of the policy of maintaining an unsupportable exchange rate; George Soros merely accelerated the inevitable so that he could profit from it. Now, if my understanding of previous posters is correct, people believe that the value of the pound is likely to decline further, and so if George Soros were to become involved, it would be to precipitate that decline and profit from others' efforts to delay it. As he did in 1992. Personally, I've tried to avoid gambling on currencies, and prefer to tie my investments in productive income-generating assets

SC

'In a sense' I'm sure you're right... Odd though how Soros became incredibly wealthy whilst the UK saw interest rates rise to 21% at one point (?).

Must admit, I can't remember even though where I was working in a 'financial' atmosphere at the time. We were all 'glued' to the 'screens' - watching what was going on as it affected not only our company but also our mortgages !

Soros had enough money (god knows how) to 'play' the market beyond breaking point.

The banks have done the same thing now and had to be bailed out at the taxpayers expense. The taxpayers are 'not happy' at the moment, and will get less happy when they are hit financially. And it will happen....

Edit - all is OK though as long as we have no problems with the odd wealthy individual 'gambling' with our economies in the belief that they, personally, will gain financially.

Edited by F1fanatic

1) civil war

(OK, well, maybe No. 3)

I can see a 'civil war' happening in the UK, when the middle class are hit by the 'cuts'.

They've gone through the 'MP's expenses' scandal, they're reading how 'top peoples' salaries are rising, whilst theirs are falling - not the stuff to convince them "we are all in this together".

The Brits are the last in the line when it comes to getting angry enough to 'do something about it' - but I think its going to happen in the next couple of years.

I just hope I'm wrong and that the UK doesn't fare as badly as I think it will in the future.

The Euro - who knows?? Germany and France are determined to 'keep it together', but its hard to see how this can happen with Euro countries failing.

Now I can see a civil war coming in the UK when the home population get fed up with forking out cash to assylum seekers who get: free housing, £250 each per week+£100 a week hardship allowance, then dont work just sit on the hugh jarce and complain that nobody wants to integrate with them!

I hope that Thai currency will get even stronger so that more unwanted and undesirable foreigners will be unable to visit Thailand.

Who the hell are you ,to make that statement? What is your definition of an "unwanted and undesirable foreigner"? I strongly suspect you are one,yourself. By the comment you made. Go back to where you are most probably "unwanted"

1) civil war

(OK, well, maybe No. 3)

Now I can see a civil war coming in the UK when the home population get fed up with forking out cash to assylum seekers who get: free housing, £250 each per week+£100 a week hardship allowance, then dont work just sit on the hugh jarce and complain that nobody wants to integrate with them!

I think you'll find that most low-level jobs advertised in the UK go to foreigners because Brits don't apply for them. Why that is, I don't know - you might choose to ask someone that lives in Britain.

Anyway, if you're not happy with the way things are, why not fix them? You could employ Brits. Or invest in Brit-owned small businesses. Or buy a car that was built in Britain. Or whatever. Or grizzle incessantly like Alf Garnett.

SC

I hope that Thai currency will get even stronger so that more unwanted and undesirable foreigners will be unable to visit Thailand.

Who the hell are you ,to make that statement? What is your definition of an "unwanted and undesirable foreigner"? I strongly suspect you are one,yourself. By the comment you made. Go back to where you are most probably "unwanted"

I think "unwanted" is a euphemism for "other"; I don't think it was meant as an objective judgement. I think he meant "unwanted by me"

I would feel more special if I was the only farang for miles around.

SC

I just hope the EU does fall apart, it's the biggest waste of UK taxpayers money, what do we contribute? about 8 billion per year! How much relief would that give to the struggling public services or even the armed forces

Uk exports 40% of its manufactured goods to the EU, we need to still be in it, not sitting on the sidelines whinging. (a common Brit trait)

ph34r.gif

Utter nonsense, if you look back to when the EC (now EU) was founded it was so on the basis of 'free trade' without all the crap you have now, also if the UK left now every single EU country would instantly sign a free trade agreement with the UK (if it was even needed).

Look at what we give the EU in money terms every year! Look at how much we have cut back on public services etc. Do you still think we need to be in the EU?

The UK public really needs start protesting about the EU, most would like to leave it!

Cameron promised a referendum whilst in opposition....another lie.

I mentioned before on another thread, the EU doesn't benefit much for the UK citizens, it only benefits the people coming into the UK from the EU.

Unchecked immigration from eastern europe for years has helped condemn are youth to the dole for a generation, it has contributed to a chronic housing shortage.

Ian Duncan Smith (now in government) said a few weeks ago that 60% of new jobs in the UK go to migrants, sorry but that is a betrayal to the natives of this land, the Tories of course blame Labour, but the Tories are doing nothing about the problem because EU red tape means we have lost control of our borders...Simple!

I just hope the EU does fall apart, it's the biggest waste of UK taxpayers money, what do we contribute? about 8 billion per year! How much relief would that give to the struggling public services or even the armed forces

Uk exports 40% of its manufactured goods to the EU, we need to still be in it, not sitting on the sidelines whinging. (a common Brit trait)

ph34r.gif

Utter nonsense, if you look back to when the EC (now EU) was founded it was so on the basis of 'free trade' without all the crap you have now, also if the UK left now every single EU country would instantly sign a free trade agreement with the UK (if it was even needed).

Look at what we give the EU in money terms every year! Look at how much we have cut back on public services etc. Do you still think we need to be in the EU?

The UK public really needs start protesting about the EU, most would like to leave it!

I mentioned before on another thread, the EU doesn't benefit much for the UK citizens, it only benefits the people coming into the UK from the EU.

Unchecked immigration from eastern europe for years has helped condemn are youth to the dole for a generation, it has contributed to a chronic housing shortage.

Ian Duncan Smith (now in government) said a few weeks ago that 60% of new jobs in the UK go to migrants, sorry but that is a betrayal to the natives of this land, the Tories of course blame Labour, but the Tories are doing nothing about the problem because EU red tape means we have lost control of our borders...Simple!

So what have you done about it?

If, like me, you have moved overseas and are quite happy, then I don't see the justification for your grizzling. Unless you'd like to go back in time - perhaps to the loadsamoney 80s, or the three day week in the seventies? Or rationing? Or your grandfather's grandfather's job as a chimney sweep.

If British people don't want to live on the dole they should study, get a job and work hard. It works fine for Chinese, and Poles, and everyone else. It worked fine for me.

SC

SC

ph34r.gif

So what have you done about it?

If, like me, you have moved overseas and are quite happy, then I don't see the justification for your grizzling. Unless you'd like to go back in time - perhaps to the loadsamoney 80s, or the three day week in the seventies? Or rationing? Or your grandfather's grandfather's job as a chimney sweep.

If British people don't want to live on the dole they should study, get a job and work hard. It works fine for Chinese, and Poles, and everyone else. It worked fine for me.

SC

SC

Well I'm lucky enough to have a job and get 2 holidays to LOS every year :-)

I'm stuck here for now, my plan is to move overseas, trust me lots of UK citizens would DO any job that was offered..Look at the construction industry, half my mates worked for years then got paid off coz Poles came in and worked for much less, sorry I don't think that is right! But if you complain nowadays you are labelled are racist??

As for studying, it's not that easy either for most people, the government doesn't make it easy to be able to live and study, and of course we have the foreign students who take a lot of college places every year.

How long has it been since you lived in the UK?

Edited by Pedzie

EU could work if unqualified countries were ousted,

as it is the pigs are dragging EU down in the mud.

Sorry the EU will never work mate, it was only created as the first step to a new world order, most of you's will laugh at this but I'm afraid it's true.

Look at who runs the EU, who voted for them? NOBODY DID, so that means the whole thing is undemocratic.