Wont Be Many Brits Left Here Soon 47 Baht To Sterling Oh Dear

As for studying, it's not that easy either for most people, the government doesn't make it easy to be able to live and study, and of course we have the foreign students who take a lot of college places every year.

I think foreign students might actually be more-beneficial than many realise ?

The foreign students pay significantly-higher tuition-fees, which helps subsidise the UK-students, although I hear that fees for locals are now rising, I fear that they'll be paying-off their student-loans for a long time after they graduate.

Also foreign-students don't have the (no doubt unwelcome, but hey, like it or lump it) option of living-at-home, and studying at a local college or university, it certainly looks quite expensive when I consider the UK for my own kids' graduate-studies.

But at least as dual-nationals, they won't have to 'jump through hoops', to get visas to go to study there. One problem with raising barriers to non-EEC foreigners, is that it also makes it harder for overseas-students to visit, and study/live/spend-money in the UK-economy. I've heard that this may be a growing-problem, from friends who run a couple of language-schools on the Kent-coast, in the past couple-of-years ?

Lastly I would suggest that, if you're studying with other young people from around the world, it gives the local students a wider view of the real-world, which is an added benefit.

Suppose I would have to agree with you on that, many young people are leaving college or uni now with no jobs and massive debt as you mentioned.

Serves them right for being mugs. Anyone with half a brain cell could see tony blairs bleating on about how everyone should get a degree was just BS. The people doing well are those that have some marketable skills like plumbers. Media studies- what a load of...........!

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant help but to agree with SC I moved here because I was fed up with the way the UK was going and I see no reason to go back. Loads of people out of work or supported by the state why look for job? The news from the world markets is not good, today it looks worse, the euro seems to teetering on the brink, Osborne gives it 6 weeks to sort it out or it will colapse. The world cannot afford it to happen, it is likely to be a domino effect. The US may have been trying to teach the EU a lesson by not printing more money but that has triggered this situation. But is the euro being worse than sterling or the dollar against the bhat? You would think that would be the case. what a strange situation. Its today at about 47bts to the GBP, what am I to make of that? Thailand is generally regarded as a "developing country" whilst the UK id a "developed country. The GBP was once a world type reserve currency much like the dollar but not today,so, is the Thai baht performing above its weight which might support its movement up the "developing" ladder perhaps? The GBP has over a period of time been falling aginst the Thai bhat does this mean that a "developed" country it has not been performing as well as it might? What influences market forces to set an exchange rate? Even when the UK economy seems to be giving out good signs it does seem to move the rate.

Well, its an interesting world thats for sure and I must just make a comment about democracy and MP,s in the UK.

You vote for the candidate of your choice who you think will best represent you, all very democratic,but, after the election, the winning party that forms a Government then instructs all their MP.s which way they are expected to vote on most issues! Its the way it is,but, its not what I call democracy ( after the election ). It would be difficult to manage the system otherwise I grant you.

I think you're not agreeing with me at all - I don't mean that in an argumentative way, I mean that by way of clarification. I think it is good that we welcome to our shores people who want to work, and sad that we have unions and dole that prevent people from working for competitive wages.

Most MPs nail their colours to the mast at election time, so we can scarcely blame them for kowtowing to the party whip. What is more distressing, in my experience, is that we may be deterred from voting for our best local candidate for MP because of his party affiliation; which in turn, may be cynically chosen so that he can get elected. Our local labour candidate and MP was an honourable and loyal servant of the constuency, but my dear old mother could never bring herself to vote for him due to a divergence in political leanings.

We would expect developing country currencies to rise against developed country currencies, otherwise they would be non-developing countries, like Zimbabwe. The American currency has risen substantially since they stopped using the British dollar (crown, or quarter-pound) as currency.

SC

We need to move towards the Swiss democratic model. We need more referendums. We're putting too much power into the hands of too few.

A very good point

I cant help but to agree with SC I moved here because I was fed up with the way the UK was going and I see no reason to go back. Loads of people out of work or supported by the state why look for job? The news from the world markets is not good, today it looks worse, the euro seems to teetering on the brink, Osborne gives it 6 weeks to sort it out or it will colapse. The world cannot afford it to happen, it is likely to be a domino effect. The US may have been trying to teach the EU a lesson by not printing more money but that has triggered this situation. But is the euro being worse than sterling or the dollar against the bhat? You would think that would be the case. what a strange situation. Its today at about 47bts to the GBP, what am I to make of that? Thailand is generally regarded as a "developing country" whilst the UK id a "developed country. The GBP was once a world type reserve currency much like the dollar but not today,so, is the Thai baht performing above its weight which might support its movement up the "developing" ladder perhaps? The GBP has over a period of time been falling aginst the Thai bhat does this mean that a "developed" country it has not been performing as well as it might? What influences market forces to set an exchange rate? Even when the UK economy seems to be giving out good signs it does seem to move the rate.

Well, its an interesting world thats for sure and I must just make a comment about democracy and MP,s in the UK.

You vote for the candidate of your choice who you think will best represent you, all very democratic,but, after the election, the winning party that forms a Government then instructs all their MP.s which way they are expected to vote on most issues! Its the way it is,but, its not what I call democracy ( after the election ). It would be difficult to manage the system otherwise I grant you.

I think you're not agreeing with me at all - I don't mean that in an argumentative way, I mean that by way of clarification. I think it is good that we welcome to our shores people who want to work, and sad that we have unions and dole that prevent people from working for competitive wages.

Most MPs nail their colours to the mast at election time, so we can scarcely blame them for kowtowing to the party whip. What is more distressing, in my experience, is that we may be deterred from voting for our best local candidate for MP because of his party affiliation; which in turn, may be cynically chosen so that he can get elected. Our local labour candidate and MP was an honourable and loyal servant of the constuency, but my dear old mother could never bring herself to vote for him due to a divergence in political leanings.

We would expect developing country currencies to rise against developed country currencies, otherwise they would be non-developing countries, like Zimbabwe. The American currency has risen substantially since they stopped using the British dollar (crown, or quarter-pound) as currency.

SC

We need to move towards the Swiss democratic model. We need more referendums. We're putting too much power into the hands of too few.

A very good point

That would result in us passing judgement to people with too much time on their hands.

Most of us would not have time to vote on a plethora of issues, nor the time to make informed decisions.

We need less government, not more.

SC

Certainly starting to bite with this continuing lower rate with nothing on the horizon to offer better times.

Personally have known 35 so still some way for that to be breached-cant imagine what the "lads" are going through daily in the flesh pots !! 200 Sterling a day ??

I don't see either the UK or USA facing

1) civil war

2) war with a neighboring country

3) crazy proxy government

(OK, well, maybe No. 3)

Predicting currency fluctuations is similar to betting on horse racing.

Let's face it, tomorrow you could be killed crossing the street, why worry about what you can't control.

Put your faith in Buddha to look after you, etc.

It would take 20bht to the UKP or 15bht to USD, to reduce me to the lifestyle I had in the west, and that lifestyle wasn't too bad either. (but still no tax or heating bills)

I can see a 'civil war' happening in the UK, when the middle class are hit by the 'cuts'.

They've gone through the 'MP's expenses' scandal, they're reading how 'top peoples' salaries are rising, whilst theirs are falling - not the stuff to convince them "we are all in this together".

The Brits are the last in the line when it comes to getting angry enough to 'do something about it' - but I think its going to happen in the next couple of years.

I just hope I'm wrong and that the UK doesn't fare as badly as I think it will in the future.

The Euro - who knows?? Germany and France are determined to 'keep it together', but its hard to see how this can happen with Euro countries failing.

Now I can see a civil war coming in the UK when the home population get fed up with forking out cash to assylum seekers who get: free housing, £250 each per week+£100 a week hardship allowance, then dont work just sit on the hugh jarce and complain that nobody wants to integrate with them!

I think you'll find that most low-level jobs advertised in the UK go to foreigners because Brits don't apply for them. Why that is, I don't know - you might choose to ask someone that lives in Britain.

Anyway, if you're not happy with the way things are, why not fix them? You could employ Brits. Or invest in Brit-owned small businesses. Or buy a car that was built in Britain. Or whatever. Or grizzle incessantly like Alf Garnett.

SC

Apparently this is what most UK aplications are for. Notice what jobs they are and what school/university subjects they need. Maths and sciences. In short the difficult ones.

If it's true that this is where most applications come from (I'm told by someone that works in this field) then Brits(yes I'm one) have got no one to blame, but themselves for taking or their kids taking piss easy subjects that aren't worth the paper they are written on in the real world promoted by 'look at my great education record with ever improving grades' Tony fuc_king Blair. And of course if UK immigrants are working in these jobs then of course like Timestamp said they won't be claiming benefits I suppose.

My link

As for studying, it's not that easy either for most people, the government doesn't make it easy to be able to live and study, and of course we have the foreign students who take a lot of college places every year.

The foreign students pay significantly-higher tuition-fees, which helps subsidise the UK-students, although I hear that fees for locals are now rising, I fear that they'll be paying-off their student-loans for a long time after they graduate.

Also foreign-students don't have the (no doubt unwelcome, but hey, like it or lump it) option of living-at-home, and studying at a local college or university, it certainly looks quite expensive when I consider the UK for my own kids' graduate-studies.

But at least as dual-nationals, they won't have to 'jump through hoops', to get visas to go to study there. One problem with raising barriers to non-EEC foreigners, is that it also makes it harder for overseas-students to visit, and study/live/spend-money in the UK-economy. I've heard that this may be a growing-problem, from friends who run a couple of language-schools on the Kent-coast, in the past couple-of-years ?

Lastly I would suggest that, if you're studying with other young people from around the world, it gives the local students a wider view of the real-world, which is an added benefit.

I don't think the poster has much to worry about as foreign students who were once a good source of income for the UK are leaving in their droves and going elsewhere due to other countries universities and international universities being much better and far cheaper. Most British unis have lost the worldwide respect they once had just like British graduates.

Foreign students were great when I was at uni. They worked much harder and you didn't have to chase them just to do any fuc_king work at all in group projects. In fact I liked them so much I married one. :)

Well I have been here 2 months,I have met several guys " staring down the barrel" they cannot "now" afford to go back to the UK.

I find it terrifying,when I see the look of desperation in their eyes,I am going back before its too late,soon one will need 100,000 baht a month to live a 3 star expat life here.

Please do not feel sorry for me I cannot wait to leave before my life is in pieces.

wont affect many since damage already done when it went from 75 to around 50 Bigger problem is inflation here and everywhere. Our income from UK and USA has in effect gone down 50% as a combination of currency debasement and inflation probably more. Add crashes in investment on shares and at least crash in property in USA and soon to come to UK real drop in last 6-8 years is probably nearer 70% or more. So someone with say 4k GBP income a month 7 years ago in real terms probably now only has 1k gbp. Of course if they had not listened to all those who said dont bring anything here and still rent they are whats the word F$#$%. Those of us who brought enough over to buy lots of property shares and like here and reaping benefit are fine thank you.

This is just not true or logical.

In the UK you have set taxes for just living there, my council tax was 200UKP a month (10,000bht)

No matter what I did, I couldn't cut that bill. Rent or own, I still had to pay that each month.

Here I can adjust my standard of living to offset any changes in currency.

The Thai baht used to have an exchange rate of 35 to the UK pound, it is still better.

Last week I changed some UK currency @50bht to the UKP (not with a bank though)

I don't know anyone who has made money from property in Thailand, I must mix with the wrong people.

I do know a couple of guys who bought a house for a Thai lady and were then chucked out of it, keeping nothing.

My shares are still making about 9% pa, no big losses in the past 10 years.

please enlighten us all about 9% return im sure lots of people would love to know. If you buy houses here in moo bans they almost always go down in value. If you buy land and build yourself or buy in a rundown condo block and lots of other forang buy and renovate you can make a great deal of money. If you buy in new blocks and scam next stupid forang to pay more and flip some make a killing but I personally hate people who do that. If you buy land or I should say your wife you can make a lot. We had about 20 properties mostly condos and 7 parcels of land and had built 3 houses. Weve sold most of them and although 1 or 2 weve lost a bit most weve made an average of 30-40% profit and while we rented them out made about 7-12% gross yield and after agents expenses and rest about 6-7% average. The only houses worth investing in are basic simple 3 bed 2 bath which you can build for around 500,000 baht fully fitted or pay around 1.3-1.6 million for. Houses go down in price since Thais never want to buy second hand and forang who buy buy what wife wants. So quite often a 2 million baht house can be bought for 1.5 million and let out for around 12-14,000 a month. Its used to be easy to find condos in older blocks for as little as 350,000 spend same on total renovation and sell for 1.2-1.4 million or rent out for around 8-10,000 a month but only once block has also been upgraded painted and rest. Those opportunities are very rare now but plentiful 5-9 years ago. Weve sold over 60% of our stuff to get money out of Thailand and done property over last 15 years and most of it is solely in my Thai wife's name. Of course land and houses have all been solely in my wife's name. We will bring money back into Thailand once it becomes clear Mr Taksin is not going to turn the place into his own 1 party state. In meantime we will keep our home and maybe 2 parcels of land and 2-3 condos provided we can continue to sell at decent prices.

Here if you have children school fees and medical costs cost a lot more than council tax and rest in UK and if you live a western lifestyle most western things are much more expensive here than in UK. Of course if you want to live like a poor Thai it can be very cheap. The facts are a lot of people have lost 30-40% over last 7 years in income due to collapse of GBP and inflation has eaten into a lot and if like a lot you are invested in stocks theirs another huge drop. So a lot of people from Uk or USA have seen in Baht terms their incomes go down by 50-70% due to these factors while those who brought money here and invested it have seen that portion of their income stay same or increase in Baht terms.

Edited by metisdead
Font.

Its a potential huge cost for people here with children and we plan to send our 13 year old and 15 year old to Uk to live with their aunt or USA with one of my daughters (if we can since they dont hold USA passports but hold UK passports). Then then I believe the rule is they have to have lived in UK for 3 years to get free university in Scotland or subsidised in england and also qualify for student loans. We can actually afford to pay full fees but this will take around 150,000-200,000 GBP for both of them for 3 years with living costs or more and I feel even as a non resident I paid far far more in taxes in both UK and USA. While we have this sort of money it could seriously affect our ability to live here in life style we have if we had to spend it all.

SC

I was agreeing with you why you moved here, thats why I came.

SC are you suggesting that if all else were to stay the same that over time the bhat would continue to rise as its development rate closes the gap to developed? Looking at your last paragraph here. If so I would assume that it would be worth considering moving funds here from the UK at the next. opportune moment . Are those your views?

Here if you have children school fees and medical costs cost a lot more than council tax and rest in UK and if you live a western lifestyle most western things are much more expensive here than in UK. Of course if you want to live like a poor Thai it can be very cheap. The facts are a lot of people have lost 30-40% over last 7 years in income due to collapse of GBP and inflation has eaten into a lot and if like a lot you are invested in stocks theirs another huge drop. So a lot of people from Uk or USA have seen in Baht terms their incomes go down by 50-70% due to these factors while those who brought money here and invested it have seen that portion of their income stay same or increase in Baht terms.

School in Thailand is nearly free (books and uniforms do cost about 4000bht a year, and another 500bht a month for the school bus)

Medical care in Thailand is nearly free (well, cheaper than the car parking charges when you visit a hospital in the UK)

If you insist on living a western lifestyle while living in Asia, you will have serious problems with both money and mental health.

SC are you suggesting that if all else were to stay the same that over time the bhat would continue to rise as its development rate closes the gap to developed? Looking at your last paragraph here. If so I would assume that it would be worth considering moving funds here from the UK at the next. opportune moment . Are those your views?

I would suggest 2-3 years of living expenses in the country you intend to live in.

The rest of your money in your home country.

You could be asked to leave Thailand at any time and it is very easy to lose a packet on currency speculation.

SC

I was agreeing with you why you moved here, thats why I came.

Personally, I would recommend investing your savings in something other than money, and, for my part, confidence in the legal and financial systems led me to invest through other markets, even if I was investing in mutual funds which invest in Thailand or other developing markets.

Thai financial markets do not seem well-geared to the overseas investor, although recent changes in money-laundering regulations have made it difficult for me to launder my money through the UK as well.

I would recommend holding any cash in the currency in which you intend to spend it, since I prefer gambling on the horses to gambling on currency. I suppose I'm not really an addicted gambler though, so I shouldn't comment, but I can't imagine playing the currency markets as being as much fun as a sunny afternoon at Shatin races drinking San Miguel out of a plastic cup and squandering hundreds of dollars. Perhaps Naam, sipping his vintage wine in the luxurious splendour of his vintage palace might beg to differ, but I like to get out more

SC

can't imagine playing the currency markets as being as much fun as a sunny afternoon at Shatin races drinking San Miguel out of a plastic cup and squandering hundreds of dollars. Perhaps Naam, sipping his vintage wine in the luxurious splendour of his vintage palace might beg to differ, but I like to get out more...

to each his [vintage] own :lol:

1. I would suggest 2-3 years of living expenses in the country you intend to live in.

2. The rest of your money in your home country.

1. a reasonable advice.

2. some home countries have greedy taxmen! there are other countries where your money feels much more "at home".

Thai financial markets do not seem well-geared to the overseas investor, although recent changes in money-laundering regulations have made it difficult for me to launder my money through the UK as well.

i use a pragmatic approach to launder money:

washer.jpg

If you insist on living a western lifestyle while living in Asia, you will have serious problems with both money and mental health.

-if you live a lifestyle while living in Asia which is not much better than the western lifestyle you are used to... you are poor,

-if you have serious problems with money... you are either poor or quite wealthy,

-if you have problems with your mental health... try to reduce your intake of cheap booze.

B)

wont affect many since damage already done when it went from 75 to around 50 Bigger problem is inflation here and everywhere. Our income from UK and USA has in effect gone down 50% as a combination of currency debasement and inflation probably more. Add crashes in investment on shares and at least crash in property in USA and soon to come to UK real drop in last 6-8 years is probably nearer 70% or more. So someone with say 4k GBP income a month 7 years ago in real terms probably now only has 1k gbp. Of course if they had not listened to all those who said dont bring anything here and still rent they are whats the word F$#$%. Those of us who brought enough over to buy lots of property shares and like here and reaping benefit are fine thank you.

This is just not true or logical.

In the UK you have set taxes for just living there, my council tax was 200UKP a month (10,000bht)

No matter what I did, I couldn't cut that bill. Rent or own, I still had to pay that each month.

Here I can adjust my standard of living to offset any changes in currency.

The Thai baht used to have an exchange rate of 35 to the UK pound, it is still better.

Last week I changed some UK currency @50bht to the UKP (not with a bank though)

I don't know anyone who has made money from property in Thailand, I must mix with the wrong people.

I do know a couple of guys who bought a house for a Thai lady and were then chucked out of it, keeping nothing.

My shares are still making about 9% pa, no big losses in the past 10 years.

please enlighten us all about 9% return im sure lots of people would love to know. If you buy houses here in moo bans they almost always go down in value. If you buy land and build yourself or buy in a rundown condo block and lots of other forang buy and renovate you can make a great deal of money. If you buy in new blocks and scam next stupid forang to pay more and flip some make a killing but I personally hate people who do that. If you buy land or I should say your wife you can make a lot. We had about 20 properties mostly condos and 7 parcels of land and had built 3 houses. Weve sold most of them and although 1 or 2 weve lost a bit most weve made an average of 30-40% profit and while we rented them out made about 7-12% gross yield and after agents expenses and rest about 6-7% average. The only houses worth investing in are basic simple 3 bed 2 bath which you can build for around 500,000 baht fully fitted or pay around 1.3-1.6 million for. Houses go down in price since Thais never want to buy second hand and forang who buy buy what wife wants. So quite often a 2 million baht house can be bought for 1.5 million and let out for around 12-14,000 a month. Its used to be easy to find condos in older blocks for as little as 350,000 spend same on total renovation and sell for 1.2-1.4 million or rent out for around 8-10,000 a month but only once block has also been upgraded painted and rest. Those opportunities are very rare now but plentiful 5-9 years ago. Weve sold over 60% of our stuff to get money out of Thailand and done property over last 15 years and most of it is solely in my Thai wife's name. Of course land and houses have all been solely in my wife's name. We will bring money back into Thailand once it becomes clear Mr Taksin is not going to turn the place into his own 1 party state. In meantime we will keep our home and maybe 2 parcels of land and 2-3 condos provided we can continue to sell at decent prices.

'The only houses worth investing in are basic simple 3 bed 2 bath which you can build for around 500,000 baht fully fitted'

Would sure like to know what kind of house can be built for 500k baht, have you seen the price of wood and steel these days?

'Houses go down in price since Thais never want to buy second hand'

Strange where I live I see plenty of Thais buying second hand properties, never seen a farang buy one.

As for the staement houses go down in price, the land the house is built on rarely goes down in price.

I know of an older moo baan, houses were built and bought 20+ years ago, a 500k house know sells for about 5 million, a house that was bought for 900k will sell for about 8/9 million.

Its been said on here many times, its all about location, I know of areas where Thais are buying second hand properties and knocking down the house and building a new house on the same spot, the cost of the second hand house purchase couple with the cost of building a new house is still cheaper than buying on a new development out in the sticks.

'2 million baht house can be bought for 1.5 million and let out for around 12-14,000 a month'

Again, location, Pattaya etc I can well believe I have seen it with my own eyes, round where I live a 2 million baht house rents for anywhere between 6-8,000 baht per month.

I am living in a house that would sell for in excess of 5 million, costs 10k per month to rent, this isnt Pattaya.

'Its used to be easy to find condos in older blocks for as little as 350,000 spend same on total renovation and sell for 1.2-1.4 million or rent out for around 8-10,000 a month'

Location again, also who is your target audience, its still easy to find condos sub 400k, they usually rent for about 3,800 unfurnished per month.

Plots of land are still available that will appreciate at least 5% per year, again location.

So to sum up, the old adage that 'Thais never want to buy second hand' simply isnt true.

Last year wen as low as 46

Then back to 50

This year dropped to 47

Now back at 48

Tell me again what all the hoo-haa is about?

Some guys have lived here when it was much higher I suppose. It was 75 to the pound when I first visited.

I earn in Euro and transfer my money to my Thai banks as soon as, is this a good idea? who knows.

You would be hard pressed to find a Thai who has a second hand house as their Last Stop.They do buy them when working away from their Home Province, but sell them on retirement generally, and retun home to a new one...Ferangs amuse us old uns with their fancy over valued prices up country. It stems from the Half Tiled Bathroon Syndrome. Mr Trusting pops down the Tile Shop,to finish the Job , Box in Hand, and comes for a Beer, to report .I Got the Tiles at half price Today. That sums up the Thai Partners Relations, dont use them.:D .

One day Im going to break the habit of a lifetime and back trawl your posts just on the remote possibility that just somewhere, is a post of intelligence.

It's a free country. Happy searching. :)

Do you not feel embarrassed !! I sure as hell would. And which free country are you referring to ?? Normally its only Brits who offer that lame old excuse...

Please tell me otherwise...

Edited by Chivas

IMHO

The GBP is on par with normal to the US $.

Thai Baht and Asian Curriencies trend is losing against the GBP and USD.

Euro is in Trouble and depreciating.

Euro started near 0.90 to the USD in 1999. Has fluctuated from a low of 0.82 to a high in the upper 1.00's to the USD.

Euro Recession is most likely according to all forecasts and no real worry over USD and GBP long term.

Damage has already been done to USD and GBP, now rest of the world's turn to learn the "Bubble is not Infinate".

Euro has ridden the Bubble since inception. Euro is overvalued, GBP is fair, and THB and Asian Curriencies way Overvalued.

I would not keep more money than needed for short term living expenses in Asian accounts (unless I needed to for Visa requirements) based on the signs of their Depreciation.

Just remember as the Thai Baht or Asian currencies devalue against any western currencies, you will lose money against what one would have in their western country bank.

As said, just my opinion.

Edited by KimoMax