Tougher Alcohol, Cigarette Laws Planned

george

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two 7-Eleven shops raided for showing cigarettes at point of sale

I'm glad to see 7-Eleven busted, given their attitude toward the "hide the cigarettes" law of last month. The corporation, as I understand it, chose to defy the decree.

Regardless of other concerns, the idea that 7-Eleven juggernaut thinks it can defy the government when small timers are harassed is not acceptable. If they don't like it, they should carry the banner in a fight against the law instead of acting as if they are above it.

What exactly is the law? The Council of State has already sided with 7-11 by telling the Ministry of Disease "Control" that just having cigarettes behind a counter with the intent of only selling a product is not against the law. Advertising, yes is illegal. But, the question remains, is having a product to sell advertising? There are no signs on the windows, no cigarettes advertised on the counters, and the product is clearly out of reach of customers. I must disagree with the ministry's raid yesterday. They have not written a full law, and have, as usual with this government, instigated another knee-jerk-reaction. Perhaps it's a matter of sematics, but the government had written the word advertisement, which is not the same as a display.

Advertisement: A notice, such as a poster or a paid announcement in the print, broadcast, or electronic media, designed to attract public attention or patronage.

Display: Objects or merchandise set out for viewing by the public.

I must applaud 7-11 for standing up for their rights as a business and for not breaking any laws that are currently written. The minsitry lost face on this one, and will now go to any extreme, legal or not, to try and gain their face once again.

"The ministry wants alcohol sales for permit categories 3 and 4, which cover alcoholic drinks manufactured inside and outside the country, restricted from 5pm to midnight instead of 5pm to 2am.

What am I missing here? Seems that the restriction period is being SHORTENED by 2 hours.

Two 7-Eleven shops raided for showing cigarettes at point of sale

I'm glad to see 7-Eleven busted, given their attitude toward the "hide the cigarettes" law of last month. The corporation, as I understand it, chose to defy the decree.

Regardless of other concerns, the idea that 7-Eleven juggernaut thinks it can defy the government when small timers are harassed is not acceptable. If they don't like it, they should carry the banner in a fight against the law instead of acting as if they are above it.

What exactly is the law? The Council of State has already sided with 7-11 by telling the Ministry of Disease "Control" that just having cigarettes behind a counter with the intent of only selling a product is not against the law. Advertising, yes is illegal. But, the question remains, is having a product to sell advertising? There are no signs on the windows, no cigarettes advertised on the counters, and the product is clearly out of reach of customers. I must disagree with the ministry's raid yesterday. They have not written a full law, and have, as usual with this government, instigated another knee-jerk-reaction. Perhaps it's a matter of sematics, but the government had written the word advertisement, which is not the same as a display.

Advertisement: A notice, such as a poster or a paid announcement in the print, broadcast, or electronic media, designed to attract public attention or patronage.

Display: Objects or merchandise set out for viewing by the public.

I must applaud 7-11 for standing up for their rights as a business and for not breaking any laws that are currently written. The minsitry lost face on this one, and will now go to any extreme, legal or not, to try and gain their face once again.

Laws don't seem to be debated here, someone just comes up with an idea and implements it. Anyway how can you expect sensible laws when everyone else is wrong except the great Mr T.

... It is a refined method of US Prohibition

Where America got it wrong was to do a blanket ban that allowed the rise of organised crime ...

Your quite right,

Ultimately though as in all new law, it's the degree of enforcement that will give it teeth or not, :o

DEPUTY DIRECTOR-GENERAL OF DISEASE CONTROL DEPT: THE LAW BANNING DISPLAYS OF CIGARETTES AT SALE POINT DOES NOT VIOLATE CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT

Deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department Dr. Narong Sahametapat (ณรงค์ สหเมธาพัฒน์) said that the law banning displays of cigarettes at sale point does not violate Consumer Protection Act

Dr. Narong said that secretary-general of the Consumer Protection Committee Mrs. Rassami Wissatawait (รัศมี วิศทเวทย์) has submitted a letter to Public Health Minister Pinij Jarusombat (พินิจ จารุสมบัติ), saying that Article 8 of the Tobacco Consumption Control Act does not violate the ministerial regulation and the 1979 Consumer Protection Act. The Consumer Protection Act does not require shops to display their products. However, Mr. Pinij will invite representatives from the Attorney-general office, the Royal Thai Police, and the Council of State, for a meeting to set up guidelines for entrepreneurs across the country on the matter.

Violators of the Public Health Ministry’s regulation banning displays of cigarettes face a fine of 200,000 baht. Those obstructing the officials’ work will be fined by 10,000 baht or a 1-month jail term, or both.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 November 2005

:D

When the rest of the world has extended licencing hours, some to 24 hrs a day, the incidence of drunken behaviour is a lot less. I wonder why Thailand is going in the other direction to slove the problem? :o  :D

Haven't you noticed that most things that happen here are the opposite of what happens in our'normal' world?

This is a communist satellite, there's no doubt about it. The state of the education system says it all: Keep the people stupid - they're easier to control. Now the poor b******s can't even have a cigarette and a glass of Lhao Khao

Edited by apex2000

Amazing the different tone in this thread to any one which discusses other forms of drugs. There you will find plenty 'like it or leave, this is the LAW here' comments. Why no such comments on booze and cigarettes.

:o

Spot On OlRed !

Hey - could even throw in a few of the old "if you don't like it - leave" comments

:D :D

Edited by Pandit

I presume that the cretins that have suggested these rules are a product of the Victorian society that prevailed in the U.K. 150 years ago ?

Strange how the so called upper classes can drink, gamble ,fornicate,have minor wives, plunder the states coffers, kill people on a capricious whim and buy justice without any compunction at all.

Yet PONG ON THE STRET IS A SOCIAL MISFIT WHO NEEDS TO BE EDUCATED FURTHER AS TO THE ERRORS OF HIS WAYS, OR SHOULD IT BE EXPLOITED MORE I WONDER ?

Ah to be a hi-so member NO THANKS FILTH RIDDEN CHEATING SCUM ALL OF THEM !!!

In a country like China, after all, it makes sense (the CCP "rules" the country). But in Thailand, it goes against the traditions.

I work in China and it is, in many ways, far less repressive than Thailand has become under the TRT - particularly for foreigners.

The Malaysian, Vietnamese and Cambodian tourist authorities must be rubbing their hands in gleeful anticipation of what this government is going to do next.

Edited by Rumpole

HEALTH WORKER GROUP TODAY RALLIED TO SUPPORT PUBLIC HEALTH MINISTER IN A CAMPAIGN TO BAN DISPLAY OF CIGARETTES AT STORES

A health workers group in support of a cigarette-free society today provided moral support to Public Health Minister PHINIT JARUSOMBAT (พินิจ จารุสมบัติ) in the Public Health Ministry's drive to ban the display of tobacco products at the selling point.

Minister PHINIT today greeted his supporters who consist of the Medical Association of Thailand, the Thai Nurses Association, the Pharmacy Council, the Dental Council, the Medical Technology Council, and people from other public health professions. The health workers expressed their support of the measure to ban the display of cigarettes at the selling points, in preventing as many as 365,000 new smokers each year, 182,000 of which are expected to die as a result of smoking.

Student representatives also joined in by displaying signs portraying messages against the display of cigarettes at stores, as well as signs with messages in support of the public health minister.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันจันทร์ที่ 14 พฤศจิกายน 2548

PUBLIC HEALTH MINISTRY WILL SUBMIT AN AMENDED TOBACCO ACT TO THE CABINET FOR APPROVAL TODAY

Public Health Minister Pinij Jarusombat (พินิจ จารุสมบัติ) prepared to submit an amended version of Tobacco Act to the Cabinet meeting today.

Mr. Pinij said that the Ministry of the Public Health aims to promote good health to the general public, adding that campaigns urging people to stay away from causes of illnesses have to be launched. He said that the ministry has a clear stance on the sale of tobacco, and stressed that all stores must follow the ministerial ban on displays of tobacco products. He said that the store owners should have more conscience toward the society and the country, as the issue concerns public health of the nation. He said the displays of cigarettes will encourage people to smoke.

Mr. Pinij added that the ministry will ask for Cabinet approval on the amended Tobacco Act. He said that the law will ban displays of tobacco products, to make it in line with the Ministry’s stance. He said shop owners will be allowed to display signs saying only that there are cigarettes for sale here.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 November 2005

You lucky people!

Longer pub opening gets go-ahead

Ministers say relaxing laws will help prevent binge drinking

The government has beaten off a last-ditch attempt to prevent pubs opening round-the-clock from next week.

A Conservative motion to cancel the part of the Licensing Act allowing extended hours was defeated by 74 votes in the Commons.

Opponents say later closing times will lead to increased crime, violence and anti-social behaviour.

But ministers say the plans, which come into effect on 24 November, will encourage "grown-up" drinking habits.

'Potential problems'

The Licensing Act went through Parliament in 2003, but the Tory motion would have delayed extended hours until at least the New Year.

MPs have a duty to stop these dangerous plans which will fuel even more violence and anti-social behaviour on the streets of Britain

Licensing minister James Purnell told BBC News existing laws, with an 11pm "curfew", had "patently failed" to stop binge drinking.

He added: "We think that having hours decided locally by local councils is absolutely the right thing to do.

"If people want to have a quiet drink after going to the cinema or getting home from work, there's nothing wrong with that."

Earlier, shadow culture secretary Theresa May said that during the last two years there had been more evidence from police, doctors, judges and the general public of potential problems with the plan.

The Lib Dems backed the Tory motion, which was lost by 228 votes to 302.

Party culture spokeswoman Jo Swinson said: "There's an increasing feeling among the public that it's not the right course to take and it's going to exacerbate the binge-drinking culture."

BBC political correspondent Jo Coburn said the vote had "never been in any doubt", but that Conservatives had wanted to "highlight something they feel is unpopular" with the public.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport said only 700 of the 190,000 premises that could apply for 24-hour licences had done so.

But 75% had asked for an opening times extension of between one and three hours.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4437512.stm

THE PUBLIC HEALTH MINISTRY WILL PURSUE LEGAL ACTIONS AGAINST CONVENIENT STORE OWNERS WHO VIOLATE THE BAN ON CIGARETTE DISPLAYS

The Ministry of Public Health will begin to pursue legal actions against convenient store operators who violate the ban on cigarettes displays, after the law has become effective.

The Deputy Director-General of Department of Disease Control, Dr. Narong Sahametapat (ณรงค์ สหเมธาพัฒน์), revealed after meeting with Public Health Minister Pinij Jarusombat (พินิจ จารุสมบัติ) that the Ministry will allow all stores to remove cigarettes from their shelves until November 20th. He said that after the period ends, officials will begin inspecting the stores nationwide. If the operators are found to display tobacco products in striking containers or behind cashier areas, they will be considered as violators of the ban and will be arrested by officials immediately.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 November 2005

I don't smoke but in thailand with all the pictures and the blured lines in the middle of tv shows(ruins the show) I want to smoke so bad. If i was a thai, I would smoke for sure. Common sense and an awareness of outside this country is the only thing stopping me from smoking.

Are the potiticans who give all this free advetising to the fag companies in cahoots with them. I wouldn't be surprised.