Macbook Pro - Crashed, Not Responding

BIGJIMMY

Well, i'm now resigned to the fact that I will need to send it away.

I live in Pattaya, has anyone had any experience with sending Apple products under warranty away in Thailand????

I'm currently away working, thankfully I will be back home in next week and a few days without the laptop is better than weeks. I brought the Macbook Pro 15" in London not 3 months ago so it is still under warranty etc.

I was using it yesterday on shift, itunes was playing, I was on the net, normal stuff, I turned the music off closed the lid and put it in my bag, when I got to my room and opned the laptop I found it beeping at me, it sounds like a warning beeping sound, not the kind that you hear when you open up a program etc, the beeping went on for ages, the screen was also frozen on the itunes, I pressed the power button and turned it off, I waited a few minutes then opened it again, the beeping started up again and the screen was grey, I left it untouched for about 5 minutes at which point the beeping stopped and I got a flashing folder picture with a question mark, I then turned to the little handbook that came with the computer, it mentioned the flashing folder and so I followed the instructions, this was to insert the Mac OS X install disk and from that you can load the dick utility, I did all of this, I restarted the laptop, put the disk in etc and it did indeed bring up the right window wtc, I followed the instructions and clicked the disk utility, at this point it was 'searching' the little coloured wheel was spinning, this went on for hours, I finally turned it off again. I have the Lion OS and have tried command and R on start-up, I even tried installing the Leopard again but when it gets to the screen to look for the disk destination this too was spinning and searching for hours, on top of that I still have the disk in the drive that I can't get out, when I start the computer up the beeping is still there and it reads the disk and goes to the disk utility process again.

I brought this at a considerable cost about 11 weeks ago, it's been perfect up until yesterday, I've read loads on the Apple site and can't find the problem, there are various accounts about beeping, the flashing folder but none that cover all my problems, now I'm no computer expert but it seems as if the internal hard drive just isn't being recognised, I haven't hit it, dropped it, smashed it or anything. I have tried getting through to the phone support but I keep getting cut off, I'm currently in Egypt until Wednesday so will now wait until i'm back in Patts and go from there.

I have loaded this same report onto a couple of other Apple forums just to see if it rings any bells with anyone.

Thanks

Jimmy

Edited by BIGJIMMY

Sounds like your HDD has died, as the blinking folder means it cant find your boot disk.

I dont know about Pattaya, but there are authorised apple repairers in Bangkok. The esplanade shopping mall has one.

New drive install wouldn't take long, but claiming on the guarantee may not be so easy.

Thanks for those replies, I won't bother even trying to remove the deisk now, as I said, I will have to send it away when I get home.

I only brought this 11 weeks ago, why do you say that getting it repaired under guarantee maybe an issue?

I brought it, it's gone wrong - no fault of my own, it's under guarantee - they have to fix it, surely it's that simple, after the amount of money it cost to buy it in the 1st place there's no way i'm paying anything more - not even postage to get it sent!!!

Blimey charlie!!!

Jimmy

I just had a quick search on the net and it seems the macbook warantee is international (iPhone is not)

They say:

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides global repair coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorised technicians around the world.

• What’s covered — Mac
  • Your Mac computer
  • Included accessories such as the power adapter
  • Apple memory (RAM)
  • AirPort Express Base Station, AirPort Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule3
  • MacBook Air SuperDrive (for MacBook Air and Mac mini only)
  • Apple display purchased with your Mac

As you say, for the money, you should be covered, and it seems you are :)

here's a list of authorised repairers:

http://store.apple.com.au/asia/FMPro?-db=asiachannelweb.fp5&-lay=web&-format=%2Fasia%2Fsvclocateresults.html&-error=%2Fasia%2Flocaterrors.html&-max=25&-sortfield=level&-sortfield=TradingAs&-sortorder=ascending&c1=&c2=&c3=&c4=&c5=&c6=&c7=&c8=&c9=&c10=&c11=&c12=&c13=&c14=&viaProduct=3&country=Thailand&-find.x=60&-find.y=17

Surprised to see they have one in Ubon, but not one in Patts!!

Boring morning at work today, hence my extensive reasearch on your behalf!

jonw8uk, thanks very much, thats a great help, ha ha, as you say you must be very quiet this morning.

You got me worried there for a minute.

I'll be calling them when I get home, theres no point from here. There are a couple of authorised sellers in Pattaya, I assume they will send it to Bangers, I go back to work 6 weeks after I arrive in Patts so not sure if I'll get it back in time.

Thanks again.

Jimmy

AppleCare has always been good for me and as you know, your computer is still under AppleCare warranty.

I've taken several computers including MacBook Pro's and Mac Pro's in to the Apple Service center (they have one now at Pantip). They run their diagnostics and if it's something obvious like a failed HD or bad memory chip, they will replace the bad part. If it's something requiring more than just changing a part, i.e. like requiring rewiring, a bad ic or requiring soldering on motherboard they have to send it back to Apple (Regional?) for that kind of repair and in that case they will simply swap out your old motherboard (or power supply or whatever) and swap in a new motherboard. My experience is that usually you get your repaired (like new) computer back again within 3 days .... often the following day.

The exception to the above experiences was when my G4 PowerMac's processor (the liquid cooled one) failed and it took them about two weeks to get a new processor thru the Apple supply channels.

The good quality service I have received from AppleCare (Bangkok) has convinced me to buy extended AppleCare coverage for all my computers & iPad also ;)

I only brought this 11 weeks ago, why do you say that getting it repaired under guarantee maybe an issue?

Don't worry, there won't be any issues. Any Authorized Apple dealer will fix it for you under warranty.

Apple's even fixed pretty exotic problems for me, problems that for example Acer wouldn't fix. They replaced my LCD even though the bug with it was really subtle, a slight flicker in certain situations. It was pretty hard to demonstrate, but still annoyed me enough I insisted they fix it. My Acer had the same problem and they just said that it works as designed. In a closed and shut case like this one, no one will blink an eye.

Go to any authorized Apple dealer in BKK. Maybe there's even one in Pattaya these days?

It's a bummer but hard disks die, it's a fact.

I hope you had a backup. If not the first order of business would be to buy an external HD and start using TimeMachine, connect the laptop at least once a day and you should be fine.

Thanks folks for your replies, I really feel alot more confident today that I did yesterday thats for sure. I'll be back in Patts Thursday/Friday so will be on the phone asap to Apple and see what they saw. There are 2 authorised Apple sellers in Pattaya but according to the list that jonw8uk provided earlier there isn't an authorised repairer in Pattaya but I guess they'll know on the phone!!

Jimmy

First off. Don't worry about the warranty. Apple laptop warranty is international.

Secondly: It could be poorly seated RAM. Try removing and reseating the RAM.

There's an authorised Apple Service Center at Fortune. They are on the second floor at the end of Fortune where there is a large circular open space looking down onto the ground floor.

When the graphics processor in my Macbook Pro died last year they replaced the logic board under the extended warranty program - the standard warranty having well expired. It took them four days from memory to get the replacement logic board from Apple SIngapore.

You can take it to the Apple shop at Tukcom and for a very small fee they will send or take it to Bangkok for you and get it back. No drama's with these guys at all.

You should, if you can, buy the extended Apple Care. I had my logic board replaced twice in about two weeks. Two weeks ago my battery swelled up making my trackpad impossible to use. Eveything was replaced, checked and repaired at no cost. Shipping included. Luckily I was in California, home of Apple when I had the logic boards replaced. Here they can't seem to repair much! I can do more than they seem to know how to do! They didn't even stock the battery and it had to be shipped from Singapore to the "repair center" then it took another six days to ship it from there to my house. A fourty minute drive! By the way this wasn't a new machine. First sold in February 2009. I bought it used and the extended care transfered with the computer.

Thanks folks.

I won't even bother trying anything with the Mac, I'll leave it to the pro's.

Should I call up one of the Apple numbers,(UK, USA or Thai) before I head to a local Apple place or just go straight there?

YME - you mention Fortune, where is this place, do you mean BIC C on 2nd road, I know Tukcom.

Sorry for the questions, as I say this is my first Mac and was quite a few quid to buy so you can understand my worries but it seems I shouldn't!!

Ta

Jimmy

Thanks folks.

Should I call up one of the Apple numbers,(UK, USA or Thai) before I head to a local Apple place or just go straight there?

Just go straight there. Make sure it's an Authorized Apple dealer.

There's a list here, not sure it's complete: http://store.apple.com.au/asia/FMPro?-db=asiachannelweb.fp5&-lay=web&-format=%2Fasia%2Flocateresults.html&-error=%2Fasia%2Flocaterrors.html&-max=25&-sortfield=level&-sortorder=ascending&-sortfield=TradingAs&-sortorder=ascending&country=Thailand&-find=

Thanks folks.

YME - you mention Fortune, where is this place, do you mean BIC C on 2nd road, I know Tukcom.

Sorry for the questions, as I say this is my first Mac and was quite a few quid to buy so you can understand my worries but it seems I shouldn't!!

Ta

Jimmy

Actually call: 001-800-441-2904. That's the number I called two weeks ago and it was answered in Thai but you press 5 or something for English. Just listen to the menu on the phone. You may need your serial number. They will tell you where the closest authorized place to take it is and their phone number. Also they will give you a case number.

Took the Mac to the Apple place on the 4th floor of Siam Discovery yesterday so we'll see what happens, they said up to 3 weeks but should be quicker, dependent on parts etc and I paid 400 baht and they'll send it to Patts - which is nice.

Jimmy

good to hear it'll soon be sorted, and that my diagnosis was correct!

rolleyes.gif

I highly recommend you get yourself a USB hard drive, download carbon copy cloner and make a bootable back-up.

That way if you have a failure again, you won't lose any data AND you'll still be able to use your laptop.

good to hear it'll soon be sorted, and that my diagnosis was correct!

rolleyes.gif

I highly recommend you get yourself a USB hard drive, download carbon copy cloner and make a bootable back-up.

That way if you have a failure again, you won't lose any data AND you'll still be able to use your laptop.

Excellent advice. Been there -- done that. External drive are relatively dirt cheap, especially the shirt-pocket size ones like the Samsung units.

Well, got it back yesterday and all is okay again, thanks for the help peeps, I think I shall also extend my Apple warranty with them as they were bang on. Off out today to buy a new external and will back up everyday!!

Thanks

Bigjimmy

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a quick search on the net and it seems the macbook warantee is international (iPhone is not)

They say:

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides global repair coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorised technicians around the world.

• What's covered — Mac
  • Your Mac computer
  • Included accessories such as the power adapter
  • Apple memory (RAM)
  • AirPort Express Base Station, AirPort Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule3
  • MacBook Air SuperDrive (for MacBook Air and Mac mini only)
  • Apple display purchased with your Mac

As you say, for the money, you should be covered, and it seems you are :)

here's a list of authorised repairers:

http://store.apple.c...x=60&-find.y=17

Surprised to see they have one in Ubon, but not one in Patts!!

Boring morning at work today, hence my extensive reasearch on your behalf!

I find buying "Applecare" is a great investment with its unlimited phone support to sort out any Mac issue