Have A Friend Here, Who Needs Help

LostinBkkagain

Yeah and you get seated first and first off too..

OP says no offer of help from the bar owner? So why is he waiting for an offer? He should have filed a report with the police a while ago and should be making a personal request for compensation if that story is true and was he alone? Any witnesses? What about the girl that was pushed? Offer her some dosh and reaasurance that she is not in trouble to back you up if the story is accurate..

First on , last off im afraid

Really?? I guess that's possible but probably more related to a specific airline?

Not here to argue with you warspeed but im in a sports wheelchair and travelled allover the world.. Its first on last off... Every airline is the same its because the wheelchair is where your baggage is and you cause an obstruction for ppl waiting to disembark... Good advantage though is even though your off last you go to the fron of the long lines at passport control so evens itself out

I didn't see it as an argument I can't dispute your experience anymore then you can mine. I've known other people and other airlines who have it the other way around and we all usually have to wait until they disembark before we can so I guess it's what you've experienced and who you've flown before, not to mention airlines do change their policies.. I said it mostly tongue in cheek anyways I guess I forgot this :D ..

Not here to argue with you warspeed but im in a sports wheelchair and travelled allover the world.. Its first on last off... Every airline is the same its because the wheelchair is where your baggage is and you cause an obstruction for ppl waiting to disembark... Good advantage though is even though your off last you go to the fron of the long lines at passport control so evens itself out

I didn't see it as an argument I can't dispute your experience anymore then you can mine. I've known other people and other airlines who have it the other way around and we all usually have to wait until they disembark before we can so I guess it's what you've experienced and who you've flown before, not to mention airlines do change their policies.. I said it mostly tongue in cheek anyways I guess I forgot this :D ..

I fly extensively. Most people would even say my mileage borders the extreme. I have NEVER seen an airline practicing a "first on first off" policy. The way toffo9 describes it, I see all the time - first on last off.

Based on my experience (and I'm sure you have MUUUCH more experience) toffo9 is right and you're dead wrong and just refuse to admit it.

Edited by Forethat

Casts must be split for flying as swelling may occur. It is generally still possible to fly.

No they dont need to be split. Where do you get all of this junk information from? Do you make this up yourself, or are these some sort of urban legends...?

If I may offer a resolution of the traveling with injury issue, the travel is at the discretion of the airline. If the injury is visibly serious, to the extent that the passenger agent notices it, medical clearance will be sought. The type of injury in this case would most likely preclude travel without the pre-approval of the airline.The approach to long haul and short haul flights is very different. It is not unusual for European and North American airlines to allow PAX with broken limbs to fly, particularly those that service ski destinations. I have been on flights servicing the ski country routes and have seen the kids in their casts. However, a surgical intervention with plates and screws is a very different situation. The link to the BA website with the medical clearance form illustrates this point. Everyday PAX with serious illnesses get on airplanes and have an eruption of complications. This results in expensive diversions of flights which the airlines loathe. This is why they block PAX with visible conditions from flying. More importantly, someone with plates and screws should not be flying as they are not supposed to be exposed to situations that can cause further injury and airplanes with jostling PAx and turbulence are not safe places for injured PAX.

Without a full knowledge of the injury , it is unfair to comment on the injury. Some people with pre-existing medical conditions receive serious injuries from simple events. A other times, circumstances can give rise to a complicated injury. This is why the resulting medical treatment may be so expensive.

As for going after the bar owner, highly unlikely anything will come of it. The customer was not targeted, and it can be described as an accident. Thai courts are not as generous in these cases as when there is a direct assault. The likelihood of collecting is minimal and I would expect would be tied up in court for years. Even if mediation was attempted, the possible 20,000-100,000 baht settlement would be quickly eaten by legal fees and the payment of other costs to middlemen. It would also result in some possible negative blowback.

Chalk this up as another reason why foreigners should have medical insurance. And yes, a medical insurance policy would respond to this injury as it was an "accident" if the version of events was accurate.

I know a lawyer that got a payment out of a shopping centre for an injury if you want a lawyer.

Also months to walk for a broken leg sounds strange....also 2 ops for a broken leg ??.....maybe some gouging going on ?

That would great if you could sort out the lawer or his number he can call him direct. He's told me his got metal plates and screws in his leg, so what he's telling me it seems truthful but 'gouging' as you put it could of happened from the hospital but he's shown me the bill and says the doctor said he may not walk properly again, at least 2 months before he can put weight on. I'm no doctor so I'm going by what his telling me.

He's a bit worried of going to the police as the bar owner is well known and knows people. But if he can do something he will, I'm not 100% sure as I wasn't there. But the bar should have video footage right? So if he did file a report now, they can check video footage? Its in Pattaya does anyone know how long they need to keep the video footage?

Video? I must be on the London forum....:ermm:

Ok so the idea of blood clots (especially in the legs) while being seated for long periods is a myth? The world wide medical community will be very happy to hear that famed Internet Dr. Forethat has debunked their decades of real life experience and studies of lower extremities blood clotting.

Regardless of whether or not ANY airlines will be foolish enough to allow it (and probably they have a release to sign) it's a massive gamble to do it given the increased risk of clots and that's what a doctor would advise against....

Why would there be an increased risk of DVT if you wear a cast...?

Does the guy even have a cast on? Seems like after a couple surgeries he would not have the wounds covered by a cast. But then that is also why some call me Dr. Jack the Quack

Casts must be split for flying as swelling may occur. It is generally still possible to fly.

No they dont need to be split. Where do you get all of this junk information from? Do you make this up yourself, or are these some sort of urban legends...?

http://www.tigerairways.com/sg/en/special_assistance_needs.php

http://dtb.bmj.com/content/34/4/30.abstract

It is true this applies mainly to newly applied casts but unless they are bi valved casts it usually is needed for large casts..eg leg or hip.

In the end it all depends on whether the company authorised doctor signs the MEDIF form as fit to fly.

Edited by harrry

If I may offer a resolution of the traveling with injury issue, the travel is at the discretion of the airline. If the injury is visibly serious, to the extent that the passenger agent notices it, medical clearance will be sought. The type of injury in this case would most likely preclude travel without the pre-approval of the airline.The approach to long haul and short haul flights is very different. It is not unusual for European and North American airlines to allow PAX with broken limbs to fly, particularly those that service ski destinations. I have been on flights servicing the ski country routes and have seen the kids in their casts. However, a surgical intervention with plates and screws is a very different situation. The link to the BA website with the medical clearance form illustrates this point. Everyday PAX with serious illnesses get on airplanes and have an eruption of complications. This results in expensive diversions of flights which the airlines loathe. This is why they block PAX with visible conditions from flying. More importantly, someone with plates and screws should not be flying as they are not supposed to be exposed to situations that can cause further injury and airplanes with jostling PAx and turbulence are not safe places for injured PAX.

Without a full knowledge of the injury , it is unfair to comment on the injury. Some people with pre-existing medical conditions receive serious injuries from simple events. A other times, circumstances can give rise to a complicated injury. This is why the resulting medical treatment may be so expensive.

As for going after the bar owner, highly unlikely anything will come of it. The customer was not targeted, and it can be described as an accident. Thai courts are not as generous in these cases as when there is a direct assault. The likelihood of collecting is minimal and I would expect would be tied up in court for years. Even if mediation was attempted, the possible 20,000-100,000 baht settlement would be quickly eaten by legal fees and the payment of other costs to middlemen. It would also result in some possible negative blowback.

Chalk this up as another reason why foreigners should have medical insurance. And yes, a medical insurance policy would respond to this injury as it was an "accident" if the version of events was accurate.

Thank you so much this is the best the response I've had! But to the idiot that said 'London Forum' for video footage, it is the law for all bars in Pattaya to have CCTV, that's why I asked but don't assume I'm stupid for asking, why do they have to CCTV cameras then? But I did also say it was a long shot! God it was just a question and I've noticed some posts removed if you don't know 100% what your talking about move on to the next thread!

Well he's been here 3 years and yes he should have insurance and he's regretting it now, but don't need these other idiots (another tourist with no insurance) just to get there numbers up so it shows them they're knowledgeable about Thailand. Wow I bow to all the wasted threads your numbers are going up, you Thai experts you lol. Your so helpful! But Thank you for everyone else that has given good advice or at least tried.

Mods might as well close this thread now, I will get in contact with the British Embassy Monday for him see what help they can offer.

I know a lawyer that got a payment out of a shopping centre for an injury if you want a lawyer.

Also months to walk for a broken leg sounds strange....also 2 ops for a broken leg ??.....maybe some gouging going on ?

That would great if you could sort out the lawer or his number he can call him direct. He's told me his got metal plates and screws in his leg, so what he's telling me it seems truthful but 'gouging' as you put it could of happened from the hospital but he's shown me the bill and says the doctor said he may not walk properly again, at least 2 months before he can put weight on. I'm no doctor so I'm going by what his telling me.

He's a bit worried of going to the police as the bar owner is well known and knows people. But if he can do something he will, I'm not 100% sure as I wasn't there. But the bar should have video footage right? So if he did file a report now, they can check video footage? Its in Pattaya does anyone know how long they need to keep the video footage?

Video? I must be on the London forum....:ermm:

Oh sorry for calling you an idiot, your a super member must have so much knowledge of this place! Congratulations on moving up the ladder! Super Duper member will be given to you soon and my god, you might get a call to help run the country!