Confiscated Duty Free Liquid At Swampy

outofoz

blown out of the sky at 30,000 feet - I'd expect to be dead, so it won't matter greatly.

Email this morning from AU Customs about this indicates it is an airline policy, not gov't - which doesn't seem right. However, here it is:

Thank you for your enquiry about changes to the 100ml going into carry on restrictions.

"Urban Myth" at the moment. If there are changes to airline policies, the airline and Duty free operators will let every one know . Customs may include such changes on its WEB site, even though it is not our control or legislation.

Sincerely

Paul R

Senior Customs and Border Protection Officer | Customs Information and Support Centre / CE&CS

Same with cigarettes when flying to Sin, the rule is simply enforced in different countries in different ways... The problem being most Asian countries losely enforcing and anglo-saxons being anal... Australian security often behave like rude cowboys, even when I fly first...

• 2 months later...

Today's Daily Terrorgraph:

Airport X-rays to end 100ml liquid limits

THE 100ml limit on alcohol, perfumes and other liquids that can be carried on board international flights is to be phased out.

The move comes as security equipment that detects liquid explosives is installed at airports in Australia and overseas.

Australia will lead the world in ending the ban from July 1, when the X-ray equipment begins operating in international transit lounges.

It will be extended from about April next year, in line with a relaxation of the strict 100ml rule at European airports and in the US.

Initially it will apply only to items bought in sealed bags at airport duty-free shops.

The Federal Government will contribute $28.5 million to help airports phase in the new technology.

nothing is confiscated if items were bought duty free at Suvarnabhumi and kept in the sealed bags the shops provide.

I departed Swampy Nov 15th to Perth and could not buy liquor at any of the duty free places, the only explanation given was the destination Australia does not allow this but no reason why. On the way back duty free Perth was willing to sell any amount of liquor to me but I declined for the prices were laughable three times what you have to pay when arriving in BKK and using the duty free for arrivals.

I have traveled to Australia about 10 times and found it is becoming more like the USA immigration- and customs wise. Perth arrival was horror and would justify a new forum and being boycotted.

From the Australian Customs' web site:

"Alcohol

If you are aged 18 years or over, you can bring 2.25

litres of alcohol duty-free into Australia with you.

All alcohol in accompanied baggage is included in

this category, regardless of where or how it was

purchased.".

Someone is confused.

No one is confused as the restrictions have nothing to do with Customs, duty free allowances or Swampy. They are anti-terrorist measures used by the US & Australian governments for the last 5 years. The airlines are required to enforce them. Australian airport security is 'trusted' such that you can pickup duty free goods after clearing customs. Other airports are not, thus when travelling to Australia you have to be searched at the gate. Methods vary - Phuket searches you on boarding at the jet bridge, Manila searches you before entry to the gate lounge. They are just ensuring that you have no liquids in containers over 100mls. Very inconvenient and in the case of some airports, very ineffective.

It was 2007 when I headed to Australia, and it was that week that these rules were started to be enforced. Little did we know, so I bought a 2000Bt bottle of whiskey to take back to a relative (didn't know about confiscation till we got to the final gate). As it was, they took it, bagged it up and put it on the plane. We collected it at the other end in Brisbane. Haven't been back since, so don't know if they really confiscate it now and not return it. That's pretty harsh if there are no warnings for passengers..

I don't buy at duty free, it's aint much cheaper than the Big C or Tesco and I can stuff what I want in my check in bag.

Ha ha, my dad always used to stock up with a couple of bottles of Johnny Walker from the nearest Tesco Lotus on his last day holidaying with us in Thailand ( few years ago). Now they make you check it in. I'd be worried it would either get broken during baggage handling, or possibly stolen from a check in bag. Obviously you haven't encountered these problems so far?

I was at LHR yesterday evening, an elderly couple from Australia wanted to buy some alcohol, the girl at duty free told them it was not allowed by Aussie Customs and Excise, the guy obviously was not happy, the girl told him to contact a Qantas desk that was close by, he did not come back whilst I was there shopping.

The USA and Australia are the same NO LIQUIDS CARRY ON over 100ml and in sealed packaging, next time you go through "swampy" try to buy a bottle of alcohol, they are required NOT to sell it as it is 100% confiscated, you do not need to trust me TRY IT, some times at airport gates it is confusing as some planes maybe have stop overs such as Singapore, Jakarta etc, people that are disembarking in those cities can take fluids on board so at times it seems very strange but again as I say 100% of ALL USA and Australian flights you cannot....If you want to take back booze to Aust just buy it at a supermarket here then stow it in your checked luggage, I do this and never a problem and actually the price you pay in say BIG C is sometimes cheaper than duty free at swampy

I always buy mine on arrival at Brisbane, there is a very good duty free shop as you check through. 2 Botts of spirits allowed.

Edited by oldsailor35

Oz bound can buy in Changi - they will give it to you AS YOU BOARD.

Last year's trip from BKK it was still "can't take it from here" with sealed airport bought water being refused at the final bag check.

I aso heard the rules were to change, just not sure ot a start date for it.

The go'vt site hasn't been updated for it yet:

http://travelsecure....utyfree_to.aspx

DO:

Purchase duty free at your last airport before Australia, but make sure it is delivered to the boarding gate, and that you are not transiting through another Australian airport before reaching your final destination.

Check with your airline to find out if you will be transiting in Australia.

########################

Australia applies restrictions for flights both to and from Australia. Australia requires airlines to put in place procedures at overseas airports for flights to Australia, to ensure that passengers do not have liquids, aerosols and gels in their carry-on baggage in excess of the restrictions. In general, the only liquids, aerosols and gels that are allowed in a passenger's carry-on baggage are:

• liquids, aerosols and gels in containers of 100 millilitres or less, in one resealable bag. The four sides of the resealable area should not add up to more than 80 cm (e.g. 20x20 cm or 15x25 cm);
  • duty free liquids, aersols and gels purchased at the airport and delivered to the boarding gate for the passenger. No other duty free will be permitted (e.g. duty free purchased at Heathrow will not be permitted through Singapore); and
  • liquid, aerosol or gel products supplied to the passenger onboard the aircraft after departure for Australia (e.g. cans of drink supplied in-flight or duty free purchased on board the aircraft).

########################

Buy your booze in town (where it's often cheaper then DF), put it in your check in bag & remember to declare it.

RUBBISH ! you can buy d/f on arrival at Brisbane and probably the other airports in oz.

Australia applies restrictions for flights both to and from Australia. Australia requires airlines to put in place procedures at overseas airports for flights to Australia, to ensure that passengers do not have liquids, aerosols and gels in their carry-on baggage in excess of the restrictions. In general, the only liquids, aerosols and gels that are allowed in a passenger's carry-on baggage are:

• liquids, aerosols and gels in containers of 100 millilitres or less, in one resealable bag. The four sides of the resealable area should not add up to more than 80 cm (e.g. 20x20 cm or 15x25 cm);
  • duty free liquids, aersols and gels purchased at the airport and delivered to the boarding gate for the passenger. No other duty free will be permitted (e.g. duty free purchased at Heathrow will not be permitted through Singapore); and
  • liquid, aerosol or gel products supplied to the passenger onboard the aircraft after departure for Australia (e.g. cans of drink supplied in-flight or duty free purchased on board the aircraft).

########################

This I find confusing, I flew out of Brisbane 2 weeks ago and me and the missus had a 1.125lt bottle of OP rum each as carry on.

oldsailor35

RUBBISH ! you can buy d/f on arrival at Brisbane and probably the other airports in oz.

I don't control the 'travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/international/lags/dutyfree_to.aspx' website. I don't make the rules. That was the wording lifted directly from their page. Feel free to take it up with them.

Yes, you can buy at any AU international airport at arrivals - if you particularly like paying more than in most Asian countries.

Spoonman:

This I find confusing, I flew out of Brisbane 2 weeks ago and me and the missus had a 1.125lt bottle of OP rum each as carry on.

I had not had a problem taking booze out of AU either - taking it out wan't restricted.

Now there's generally not a lot of difference between DF in arrivals & Dan Murphy's, so I don't often bother with it coming in.

The main thing is, the resriction is to be lifted. I guess some poli wanted to bring some.

Flew Sin-Fra-Man a few weeks ago and there was no problem buying duty free booze or transporting it. The EU rules are (taken from Fra website) :

Passengers are permitted to carry through the security checkpoints all liquids purchased duty-free on the day of their flight at any airport in the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, Croatia, as well as at Singapore-Changi Airport, Kuala Lumpur Airport (Malaysia), all international airports in the U.S., selected airports in Canada or aboard aircraft of a EU airline, provided these items are placed in a transparent, tamper-evident bag sealed on purchase by the duty-free sales staff. These duty-free items have already been previously controlled.

Liquids in duty-free shops outside the EU are not being controlled according to EU standards. Therefore, passengers changing planes at a European airport are not allowed to carry in their hand luggage any liquids purchased in duty-free shops outside the EU. If you have made any duty-free liquid purchases outside the EU other than at the above mentioned places, please check these purchases in with your airline along with your hold baggage before your onward flight.

The emphasis being Sin & Kul. They refused to sell me booze in Hkg on a Hkg-Lhr-Man trip but was able to purchase aboard the plane and transit security at Lhr without problem.

• 5 weeks later...

YUP

USA sure

how much you want to bet alcohol lobby had more to do with this than security.

That doesn't make any sense. The alcohol manufacturers already got their payment when the duty free shop bought the bottle to resell.

The USA and Australia are the same NO LIQUIDS CARRY ON over 100ml and in sealed packaging, next time you go through "swampy" try to buy a bottle of alcohol, they are required NOT to sell it as it is 100% confiscated, you do not need to trust me TRY IT, some times at airport gates it is confusing as some planes maybe have stop overs such as Singapore, Jakarta etc, people that are disembarking in those cities can take fluids on board so at times it seems very strange but again as I say 100% of ALL USA and Australian flights you cannot....If you want to take back booze to Aust just buy it at a supermarket here then stow it in your checked luggage, I do this and never a problem and actually the price you pay in say BIG C is sometimes cheaper than duty free at swampy

Better still, buy it at your Aussie destination immediately before going through customs .

• 2 weeks later...

Better still, buy it at your Aussie destination immediately before going through customs .

Why aren't the security people taking the items from the travellers,tagging them and putting them in the hold for collection at the other end, sheesh, its not difficult.

Why aren't the security people taking the items from the travellers,tagging them and putting them in the hold for collection at the other end, sheesh, its not difficult.

Because its not the Airlines problem, go complain to the Government responsible for the rules. How long do you think it would take to organise for a full 747?