Getting To Samui

lukeskywalker

Because of BKK Airways' monopoly on the Samui Airport, a return ticket from Chiang Mai is anywhere from 7,000 to 12,000, and I need 2. So I will do like many: a) train to Suratthani, B) bus to Suratthani or c) fly to Suratthani and then ferry it over to the island. Any recommendations on which of the 3 is the best? What airlines fly from CM to Suratthani? THX

I have always taken the train to Bkk, then the International Express train to Surat, then either the Songserm fast ferry, or the large car ferry to Samui. Nice ride on everything :)

But it has been a few years ;)

Edited by LJW

Just for the record:

Bangkok Airways do not have a monopoly to Koh Samui. Thai Airways have two daily flights either way. I have no idea about their prices, but they're probably not cheap. The reason is that Bangkok Airways own the Samui airport and want a (good) return on their investment.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Bangkok air no longer have the only flights... Thai have a couple per day also.

Actually air asia to Phuket then the Phuket bus service is one of the more economical ways to do this.. Secondly dont forget that Air asia does CNX to Hat Yai also.. Which is a similar distance from the Donsak Ferry.

Getting to south otherwise airports needs at least 2 hops. Krabi / Surat / Ranong / Etc.

Just for the record:

Bangkok Airways do not have a monopoly to Koh Samui. Thai Airways have two daily flights either way. I have no idea about their prices, but they're probably not cheap. The reason is that Bangkok Airways own the Samui airport and want a (good) return on their investment.

/ Priceless

Be that as it may, until a year or so ago they did have a monopoly. They paid for the airport, and they exclusively used it until recently. I recall the price bkk to samui being much the same as all flights, about 4000 baht return. Suddenly they made it 7500, almost doubled out of nowhere. Done because it was their airport and only they flew there.

I wonder how much the thai flight is? I bet it's nearly the same as bkk airways.

I think the reason is that people in the right places afforded bkk airways a monopoly for so many years. Right or wrong doesn't come into it, samui became a cash cow. Only now perhaps is it beginning to overmilk itself...

I think the best combination of time and money is to fly to bkk, then get the train and the boat.

I also think my mate flew from cmai to bkk to surat on air asia for a very cheap price, then onto the boat.

Be that as it may, until a year or so ago they did have a monopoly.

Been going for years.. Say at least 07 or 08.

I think the best combination of time and money is to fly to bkk, then get the train and the boat.

I also think my mate flew from cmai to bkk to surat on air asia for a very cheap price, then onto the boat.

Everyones choices over time and money are different. I wouldnt consider the bangkok then train then bus then ferry then taxi option.

However as a budget Hat Yai and Phuket are as I said about the cheapest.. You can usually fly to them cheaper then flying to bangkok for some reason, my last 6 flights to HKT have all been sub 2000 even with baggage and other add on fees. Not sure if Hat Yai is also as cheap.

Just for the record:

/ Priceless

Be that as it may, until a year or so ago they did have a monopoly. They paid for the airport, and they exclusively used it until recently. I recall the price bkk to samui being much the same as all flights, about 4000 baht return. Suddenly they made it 7500, almost doubled out of nowhere. Done because it was their airport and only they flew there.

I wonder how much the thai flight is? I bet it's nearly the same as bkk airways.

I think the reason is that people in the right places afforded bkk airways a monopoly for so many years. Right or wrong doesn't come into it, samui became a cash cow. Only now perhaps is it beginning to overmilk itself...

Quote from http://www.samuiairportonline.com/

"Samui Airport is privately owned and operated by Bangkok Airways. Most flights from the island are operated by Bangkok Airways. Thai Airways international began flights to Samui in February 2008."

That makes it over 3½ years according to my math.

/ Priceless

Just for the record:

/ Priceless

And TG has to pay BKK Air landing fees in order to use that airport. Say it's not a monopoly if you must, but there's good reason why most developed countries put limits on airline ownership of airports.

Just for the record:

/ Priceless

And TG has to pay BKK Air landing fees in order to use that airport. Say it's not a monopoly if you must, but there's good reason why most developed countries put limits on airline ownership of airports.

Thai Inter also has to pay landing fees at Swampy and previously at DM.

Just for the record:

/ Priceless

Thai Inter also has to pay landing fees at Swampy and previously at DM.

But neither Swampy nor DM are competitors of TG. Surely you are able to see the anti-competitive nature of the BKK Air situation, are you not?

So you would invest millions into building an airport then just let everyone use it free for the common good ??

Its a private airport.. It wasnt built by the AOT.. So they expect a high return.. Given the choice between no airport or a private one its surely better to have the option.

OP, if you wanna save money over flying and avoid Bangkok and run-of-the-mill bus/train/ferry, there's the option of bus direct to Hua Hin and bus (onto ferry) direct to Samui.

Edited by jackr

Just for the record:

/ Priceless

That's because Thai threatened to build their own airport if Bangkok airways didn't share theirs. The airport is still owned and controlled by Bangkok Airways so it's a quasi monopoly. That's why there's no AirAsia - or anything else - going there. Prices are inflated as there's no competition allowed. Thai Airways prices to Samui are always very close to BKK Air prices and I bet that's no co-incidence.

Prices from CNX are unreasonable, I agree. 7k one way - meh.

Its a private airport.. It wasnt built by the AOT.. So they expect a high return.. Given the choice between no airport or a private one its surely better to have the option.

True - the only question is why no public airport is being built? Would surely be profitable for AOT...

But I guess another point to consider is that of the many problems that Samui has, lack of tourists isn't one of them... and in any case, they always want higher end tourists to come and for those high(er) ticket prices are no problem.

True - the only question is why no public airport is being built? Would surely be profitable for AOT...

But I guess another point to consider is that of the many problems that Samui has, lack of tourists isn't one of them... and in any case, they always want higher end tourists to come and for those high(er) ticket prices are no problem.

Exactly right, if you can't afford to fly either get on the bus or forget about Samui full stop

Just for the record:

/ Priceless

The landing fee is listed as $300/aircraft. No much for a 737.....around $3/passenger.

SAMUI AIRPORT.pdf

There is no such thing as a publice airport. Even if AOT were to build an airport on Samui they would want a return on their investment, hence landing fees, parking fees and probably other fees we are not aware of.

Edited by mallyrd

Lets see they allow Thai International to fly in and out of there airport, that is not a monopoly. Also think about those low fares on Air Asia when you factor in the baggage fees paying as much as the other airlines unless of course you have no luggage.

Lets see they allow Thai International to fly in and out of there airport, that is not a monopoly. Also think about those low fares on Air Asia when you factor in the baggage fees paying as much as the other airlines unless of course you have no luggage.

Not if you book well in advance, Air Asia can be very inexpensive. I booked 7 months ago for BKK next month and got a flight for 499thb including taxes. I have also booked Vietnam from BKK in April for 1499thb return. but you have to book way in advance or your right they can be as expensive as Thai close to the date.