Should Us Teachers Enjoy The Lesson Or Be Bored?

Simon6973

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and yes of course the adults pay for the lessons and I do make an effort with them.

I am still bored rigid 80% of the time though because so few of them can hold a conversation after 10 yrs of school study.

who's fualt is that - well theirs if you ask me.

It's not my fualt they're lazy ######wits is it now.

Well they obviously want to learn right ? Make it fun for your liking ? Have everyone take part in a story a make up as you go story . You start it off and work your way around the room . Make a joke ? Make someone laugh ? Were you a techer before ?

I do want them to learn stuff but basically it's up to them at the end of the day - singing songs, telling jokes etc.. isn't exactly teaching now is it.

I have been teaching for a couple of years now but just find it boring doing beginners as they all seem to be. Advanced stuff is stimulating to me but it's not up to me to bring them to that level.

So that is the crux of it really , I just find all this low level stuff tedious and moronic.

Advanced stuff is stimulating to me but it's not up to me to bring them to that level.

Wheres that ###### smilley?

and finally he shows his true thoughts.

Tra la la la the trolls come out to play.

Either that or you a total waster who shouldnt be a teacher.

What is a teacher? Basically a person that transfers knowledge so the students progress to a more advanced level.

It is you that have the problem if you cannot be bothered to accept the suggestions that apply to ALL ages.

I do want them to learn stuff but basically it's up to them at the end of the day - singing songs, telling jokes etc.. isn't exactly teaching now is it.

I have been teaching for a couple of years now but just find it boring doing beginners as they all seem to be.  Advanced stuff is stimulating to me but it's not up to me to bring them to that level.

So that is the crux of it really , I just find all this low level stuff tedious and moronic.

Actually, singing songs, telling jokes etc. IS exactly what teaching a foreign language is all about!!! These are examples of EXACTLY what a good teacher does. A good teacher does whatever interests the students and will entice them to actually use the language they are being taught because a language is learned through use, not through memorization. Now that I see your attitude towards teaching I am convinced that you really should probably be looking for a different profession.

What is a teacher?

This is a person who having sought the inspired twinkle in the eye of a learner, seeks to exploit the twinkle, bring it to fruition and fulfil the desire to learn. Paid or not as I have done both in the past, your only motivation is one of gift, giving to the learner, not your wages.

If you still find this thread boring having found real teachers who fight back, go to a new forum and dazzle them with you obviously non-professional approach.

Singing songs and role-playing is as essential to learning English as knowing your nouns from your verbs and the ABC. If you can't do it, if you feel so stupid trying for the first time, then that's how we all probably felt the first time we did it but it works. Okay, don't settle for hickory dickory dock, translate a song they do like, something relevant to todays music charts and get them to learn it, IN ENGLISH!

If you don't want to teach, don't! If you can't teach, don't pretend. All you are doing is giving us real qualified teachers a bad name.

Have a nice day, mate!

Edited by mr-chris

What is a teacher?

Paid or not as I have done both in the past, your only motivation is one of gift, giving to the learner, not your wages.

What so you need to be gifted to teach English now ?

Give me a break!

Sure some teachers are naturally better than others but the word 'gifted' hardly springs to mind.

'deluded' more like - you that is.

Singing songs and role-playing is essential English

that's a good point - I am studying Thai at the moment and can't really string a sentence together but I can sing one or two tunes in Thai.

This comes in quite handy at my local 7/11 - I ask them to change and item and when they don't understand me I just break into song - works a treat . Of course they still don't have a clue what I'm on about but they have a jolly good laugh and just do the refund anyway.....kind of abstract communication.

What songs do you teach by the way - I used to sing in a band a few years back , guess I'm on the right track. Will this help do you think?

You see, you can't even read let alone teach. You must learn to read before you claim to be a teacher.

Your gift to them. God this hurts!! You must uncover the sparkle. It is there, in every learner whether he or she is 3 yrs old or 93.

I really don't know why people like you are tollerated!

so Mbkudu , are you Mr Chris's dictionary?

Guess he was either too dumb to think of that one or indeed is a poor speller.

Sounds like a bit of a Nazi too.

Actually Soimon, you've been giving me a great laugh here :o . It's good that some don't get too toity about teaching here. I remember some rogue who submitted his thoughts on Stickman saying that teachers should never set foot in any dens of lust such as Pong, Cowboy or Nana, and if he ever saw his child's teacher in any such establishment, he would demand his resignation. So, the question begs to be asked: What on earth would he, be doing there to see his child's teacher there in the first place? Some are so high and mighty that they forget that there's only one direction to fall and that's down.

mbkudo:

well said ,

is there really any point being in TL doing Tefl if you can't get a good ###### at the same time - no way , it's not exactly top wages here either is it ...

now what I sometimes worry about though is meeting one of my students in a darkened massage room or go go bar - that could be a little awkward .....well I'd probably just by her a lady drink and take it from there......hehehe

I'll try to answer your original question. If you give out a bored vibe, your students will be bored. So even if your lesson bores you, give the impression that you are excited or interested in what you are teaching them. This makes me remember the CELTA instructors that I had. They teach the same material and routine to the letter and to the minute month after month and if it wavers or something is missed, Cambridge comes after them with a hatchet. They must be bored out of their damm minds, especially the ones that are based in the same country for years. The interesting thing though, is that I was always interested and

not bored at all with what they were teaching us. This is because on the outside they showed that they were genuinely interested in what they were doing, even if they would have rather been somewhere else. Anyway, I've always maintained the idea that once you are sick of teaching, the students are sick of you, and it's time to go into another profession.

I am a Tefler here in TL and I have to admit that in 80% of lessons I am bored rigid and just willing the clock to move on . This is mainly because I find the students a little dull and basic - is this my problem or theirs?

Should I be enjoying myself - well not really as it is a job but I used to love doing Tefl until I came here - ie: with Spanish and Italian kids - here it's just not the same (as expected).

How can we make the students more fun?

:o

Simon6973 apart from all the technical answers/remedies think of this:

"If one cares and puts in the effort and has the right personality, one will become a good teacher" (edited to suit the situation).

Simon, the more you post, the less I support you. If you are here for just the ass, why are you overly serious about teaching? That should be your motivation. This is what you have to do to be here. If you are in this for the money, I hate to inform you but you're not making a lot. I have to tell you what people tell me when they try to bring me down (you're not making any money).

If you are bored, you definetly have to change your teaching style. Thai adults like singing and jumping too. Nobody says you have to teach from a book or follow a syllabus, at least I never had to.

If you are here for just the ass, why are you overly serious about teaching? 

er....like , I'm not......... serious about teaching that is.

surely that's obvious.

I do my job professionally when I'm there and don't just follow a book (in fact I hardly use the book at all) , I also have a bit of a laugh etc.. but I still find it fairly dull. Some classes are ok and some of the kids are pleasant but OVERALL it's just humdrum.

I cannot see any of my adults jumping around and as I've already said, I'm arsed if I'm singing.

If you are here for just the ass, why are you overly serious about teaching? 

er....like , I'm not......... serious about teaching that is.

surely that's obvious.

I do my job professionally when I'm there and don't just follow a book (in fact I hardly use the book at all) , I also have a bit of a laugh etc.. but I still find it fairly dull. Some classes are ok and some of the kids are pleasant but OVERALL it's just humdrum.

I cannot see any of my adults jumping around and as I've already said, I'm arsed if I'm singing.

So, Simon6973, you asked the question "Should us teachers enjoy the lesson or be bored?" We've discussed it quite a bit. What have you learned about this topic of yours? Should you enjoy the lesson or be bored?

Actually, singing songs, telling jokes etc. IS exactly what teaching a foreign language is all about!!! 

I see 3 things:

1: You preach nonesense about how to teach

2: You are just another Tefl teacher that thinks he is saving these people.

3: <Keep it clean please and don't personally attack someone for disagreeing with you please...KK>

Edited by kenkannif

I am a Tefler here in TL and I have to admit that in 80% of lessons I am bored rigid and just willing the clock to move on . This is mainly because I find the students a little dull and basic - is this my problem or theirs?

Should I be enjoying myself - well not really as it is a job but I used to love doing Tefl until I came here - ie: with Spanish and Italian kids - here it's just not the same (as expected).

:D

Why not teaching them a hit song. Or let them learning by Rap ;-) might help and solve your boring. Kids learn faster by music. For me too.. :o:D

:D

Why not teaching them a hit song. Or let them learning by Rap ;-) might help and solve your boring. Kids learn faster by music. For me too.. :o:D

Here, here!

(As long as I've spelled that correctly!)

PS. We are all exploiting the need to teach English to the Thais. Why crap on each other?

(Spelling revised.)

Edited by mr-chris

Actually, singing songs, telling jokes etc. IS exactly what teaching a foreign language is all about!!! 

I see 3 things:

3: You are a nob.

You are definitely wrong about number 2. I am not presently teaching and I have never even considered taking the TEFL. "These people" as you put it, don't need to be saved from anything!!! I mostly don't understand why MOST of them think learning English is such a great deal. They'd be much better off learning some math or Buddhist philosophy or how to drive safely, or ...or....or..... To me learning English is a total waste of time for MOST Thais...except perhaps for the social value and snobbery attached.

I see 3 things:

3: You are a nob.

You are definitely wrong about number 2. I am not presently teaching and I have never even considered taking the TEFL. "These people" as you put it, don't need to be saved from anything!!! I mostly don't understand why MOST of them think learning English is such a great deal. They'd be much better off learning some math or Buddhist philosophy or how to drive safely, or ...or....or..... To me learning English is a total waste of time for MOST Thais...except perhaps for the social value and snobbery attached.

So, he's right about #1 and #3? :D Sorry, couldn't help myself; opened yourself wide open for it. :o