Should Us Teachers Enjoy The Lesson Or Be Bored?

Simon6973

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me learning English is a total waste of time for MOST Thais...except perhaps for the social value and snobbery attached.

I agree with you there- it seeems to be the hi-so thing to do over here - why can't they just embrace their own language and tell us farangs to F off out of here.

Do they secretly wish to be farangs or what?

Actually, singing songs, telling jokes etc. IS exactly what teaching a foreign language is all about!!! 

I see 3 things:

1: You preach nonesense about how to teach

2: You are just another Tefl teacher that thinks he is saving these people.

3: You are a nob.

You are definitely wrong about number 2. I am not presently teaching and I have never even considered taking the TEFL. "These people" as you put it, don't need to be saved from anything!!! I mostly don't understand why MOST of them think learning English is such a great deal. They'd be much better off learning some math or Buddhist philosophy or how to drive safely, or ...or....or..... To me learning English is a total waste of time for MOST Thais...except perhaps for the social value and snobbery attached.

So, he's right about #1 and #3? :D Sorry, couldn't help myself; opened yourself wide open for it. :D

Who or what rushes in where angels fear to tread ? :o

Simon, the more you post, the less I support you. 

Simon6973 not that it will concern you but I 2nd the above^^^.You have the distinction of being the 1st TV member I am happy to push the igore button on!!

Chownah - I mostly don't understand why MOST of them think learning English is such a great deal. You can't mean this - It is the business language of the world -Take the current push in China to have all levels able to communicate in English in readiness for the olympic games.

Simon seems to be an alright guy. He's just going through the motions of the teaching grind until some other opportunity comes up, and getting a piece of arse here and there in the mean time. If he was getting 80,000-100,000 baht a month, I don't think we'd see him moaning here. I think just about every one of you teachers, including myself, here would jump at a job outside the teaching industry that offered you a competetive expat wage, benifits package ect. Face it, teaching does not pay well unless at the international school level. It is only a stepping stone to greener pastures or for the truly dedicated who love teaching as a profession.

Simon6973 not that it will concern you but I 2nd the above^^^.You have the distinction of being the 1st TV member I am happy to push the igore button on!!

Chownah - I mostly don't understand why MOST of them think learning English is such a great deal. You can't mean this - It is the business language of the world -Take the current push in China to have all levels able to communicate in English in readiness for the olympic games.

I was very careful to capitalize "MOST" when referring to the Thais. I do believe that MOST Thais do not have a need for speaking English. MOST Thais are farmers and only deal with other Thais in their business dealings. MOST Thais don't have anything to do with any businesses where English is necessary. It really does seem to me that the desire to learn English has been propogated to a huge percentage of people who really have no use for it....this can be easily seen in that MOST Thais who have studied English for many years in school end up not being able to read or write English anyway but they still have productive and satisfying lives. I think that the importance of English is way overdone here.

I was very careful to capitalize "MOST" when referring to the Thais. I do believe that MOST Thais do not have a need for speaking English. MOST Thais are farmers and only deal with other Thais in their business dealings. MOST Thais don't have anything to do with any businesses where English is necessary. It really does seem to me that the desire to learn English has been propogated to a huge percentage of people who really have no use for it....this can be easily seen in that MOST Thais who have studied English for many years in school end up not being able to read or write English anyway but they still have productive and satisfying lives. I think that the importance of English is way overdone here.

Sorry Chownah - that may be fine for the older generation how about the up-and-coming are you sentencing them to life on the farm? - Please research the latest trend in China and it is the older peasant as well as the up-and-comings who are thirsting for English as their country moves rapidly into the 21st century.

It's not just English - Thailand needs to take a stranglehold on the need for learning for all not just the priviliged few otherwise the rich will just keep getting richer thru the toil of the serfs.

Sorry Chownah - that may be fine for the older generation how about the up-and-coming are you sentencing them to life on the farm? - Please research the latest trend in China and it is the older peasant as well as the up-and-comings who are thirsting for English as their country moves rapidly into the 21st century.

It's not just English - Thailand needs to take a stranglehold on the need for learning for all not just the priviliged few otherwise the rich will just keep getting richer thru the toil of the serfs.

I guess that we disagree about the actual importance of learning English for MOST Thais.

no argument - everyone has their own views - although another thing to consider is the big money winner "Tourism" English communication even at the lower levels is a must -last week or two ago I travelled on a river express boat and was suprised at the amount of "Tourists" using this means of travel to visit places all the way up the river to Nonthaburi and a lot of them had questions of the young lady collecting fares!!

Sorry that this is off topic a little but I would like to see more basic classes for Taxi drivers, Tuk Tuk drivers, Waiters/esses, etc etc etc. PM hope your reading this. Have Watana release this next week and avoid the scorn for once.

Edited by mijan24

Sorry Chownah - that may be fine for the older generation how about the up-and-coming are you sentencing them to life on the farm? -

Well let's face it mijan , many Tefl teachers ARE helping the young farm girls in a far more rewarding manner than just a few 'conversation' classes - when was the last time you gave 1500B to a Thai girl to help her feed herself for a week ?

You just TAKE money from them with your over-inflated perception of yourself -'The Ajarn'.

Tosser more like.

Oh no , the ticket girl on the 'tourist' boat can't speak English - she's only supposed to sell tickets not pander to white farang like some subservient maid that you seem to think she should.

Taxi and Tuk tuk drivers taking English classes - take your head out of your arse now before it's too late.

Edited by Simon6973

this thread has turned into a discussion of the work ethic of Thai students. You expect too much. One of my calsses is a low level M3 group 11; and there is only 4 groups of M6! Everybody is rowdy. Boys wrestle and girls put on make-up. But there is one hot 15 year old girl who is paying attention and got 100% on every test. That's when I know I'm touching at least one person (pun intentional but not literal.)

What I mean is don't all of you have at least a few students making progress? That's all that's important. I laugh off the ones who answer "yes" to every question.

Agreed, that most Thai students below university level (and some uni students, as well, don't want to learn English, and can probably get along without it. It's not just farmers. Outside of the tourist areas and the tourism business, how many urban Thais really use English? The Thai national treasury will not have the money, in the forseeable future, to get every Thai student to the intermediate level of English usage. Regardless of English proficiency, the business world is passing Thailand by, before it can catch up. Along with Nicaragua and other countries in central America and central Africa, Thailand may find itself forever mired in the 20th century, due to factors such as corruption, cronyism, elitism, racism, xenophobia, face, other traditions, etc.

I wish the Ministry of Education would channel its English language program funds into optional courses for the 10 to 20% of Thai students who want to learn English.

Sounds like you are mostly here to get laid. Are you qualified to get reasonably paid work in your home country? Then do, and come here on holiday for a few months a year, and then go back to work.

If that doesn't work or doesn't suit you, how about getting an education that enables you to do something else than teach English in Thailand?

Or, if it's more a matter of you thinking you don't get paid enough to be bored - study in order to get better qualifications so you can compete for the best paid teaching jobs - then you will get your 1000 baht per hour.

Sounds like you are mostly here to get laid. Are you qualified to get reasonably paid work in your home country? Then do, and come here on holiday for a few months a year, and then go back to work.

If that doesn't work or doesn't suit you, how about getting an education that enables you to do something else than teach English in Thailand?

Or, if it's more a matter of you thinking you don't get paid enough to be bored - study in order to get better qualifications so you can compete for the best paid teaching jobs - then you will get your 1000 baht per hour.

Yes , one of my reasons of being in TL is to get laid - nothing wrong with that - I'd say 90% of the single male Tefl teacher here is doing that . So going back home for 9 months kind of defeats the purpose.

I agree with Ken - qualifications mean shit all in this game - there are people at my job with Masters etc.. and they earn the same crumbs as me.

Basically I'm saying Tefl is a boring as hel_l job most of the time - the Thai students are generally thick as two short planks so that doesn't exactly help.

Go back and get an education you say - go ###### yourself I say!

tefl is just a bullshit job really that pays the meals - nothing more , nothing less - you might be a great teacher , have 3 degrees etc.. but you're still earning less than 5 US per hour in most cases - speaks for itself really.

If you're pulling in 1000B an hour then you are just a rip off merchant.

Basically I'm saying Tefl is a boring as hel_l job most of the time - the Thai students are generally thick as two short planks so that doesn't exactly help.

Go back and get an education you say  - go ###### yourself I say!

Simon6973 you original post said you were a TEFLER you were bored but enjoyed the role when involved with Spanish - I feel your last sentence told the real story.

Thailand and the Thai Children can do without your type of "ER" as it is normaly prefixed by the word "WANK". You are the perfect example of the "farang" that gives our good PM ammunition when harranging "farangs"

haranguing actually Dr P - Mijan used present continuous.  :D

Its obvious Simon is just a troll and or a complete low life.   We should just ignore him from now on.

It was the two R's I was pointing out Bluff :D

Dr P & Bluffer yes 2 R's and dropped my u. Correction taken as meant with well meaning humour - Note the PM who is an habitual harbinger is certainly known for "haranguing" all and sundry in my view. (This is said with the continuous tongue in cheek)

A little worried about dropping that "u" the NZders amongst us will think I am mistreating a possibility!! :o