Problems With Thailand

gwmss15

I have been in Thailand now for over 7 months and come across the following things

Rant ON

1. Lack of English speaking abilities in all levels of society

2. Poor wages for expat workers employed in the education sector

3. the most difficult work visa system I have ever had to put up with. Most places issue a work visa as one document after you arrive in country.

4. Too many old fat white men think Thailand is great just don’t get it

5. I seem to be the only guy working hear under 25yo most people who I see are over 40 I'm not talking about tourists.

6. The drink is cheap its not wake up the price is the same as Australia. I don’t drink so it doesn’t matter to me

7. the worst public transport system outside of Bangkok no metro or aircond bus service in Pattaya or Kong Kean what the deal with that they are missing a lot of tourist because it too uncomfortable

8. Lack of English speaking customer service people on buses, trains, taxis, banks and shops

9. Ban the motorbikes from all main roads in Thailand and fine them 100000 baht if seen any near the main roads

10. Tooooo much corruption at government levels

11. Shops don’t seem to stock any western size clothes I mean if you’re over 6 foot tall most of the shirts and basic clothes don’t fit.

12. Too much noise after 12am at night and most of that is from drunken people and loud music

13. the most expensive apartment costs in south East Asia what’s the deal with 40000 plus for a 2 bed apartment in Nonthaburi even worse in Sathorn.

14. The rail network is shit trains could run at 160kph in Bangkok but crawl at 30kph until after Rangsit. Plus get rid of the non air cond trains.

15. More metro now and full track doubling and electrification of country lines to Japanese standards i.e. 250 kph min on the main line to issan

16. Kill the green and white buses in Bangkok buy some full size air con arc buses

17. Allow western people to get PR and set up businesses without having to prove 2million baht many good shops could be set up for less than 500000 baht and employ a few Thais

18. When Thais hold an event provide materials in English and Thai so all can enjoy

19. Subtitle the TV please

20. Do not translate English books magazines or movies into Thai

That’s all for now I could think of many more

Rant off

So you have enjoyed your first spell in Thailand?

:o:D

Of all the things he listed I couldn't really find any that are worthy of so much anger. One thing I have learned after living in Thailand for so long. There are 3 stages:

1) love it

2) hate it

3) learn to live with it

Seems OP has a long way to go to hit stage 3 :D

Solution: Learn Thai. I don't know if you've ever lived in Sydney, but Thailand's public transport systems are a piece of paradise compared to ShittyRail, or England where buses/trains don't even turn up. And for the record, I frequently miss out on decent clothes in Sydney simply because the "average" woman here is a size 14. Far cry from my size 6/8! You're too Anglo-centric to belong in Thailand - shape up or ship out! :o

8. Lack of English speaking customer service people on buses, trains, taxis, banks and shops

18. When Thais hold an event provide materials in English and Thai so all can enjoy

Seems like your frustration with these points would be reduced if you learnt Thai. As we're living in their country surely it's much more reasonable for them to expect us to speak their language, rather than us expecting them all to be fluent and provide all services in English.

I have been in Thailand now for over 7 months and come across the following things

Rant ON

Thats because youre not in a English speaking country

Thats because youre in a developing country

3. the most difficult work visa system I have ever had to put up with. Most places issue a work visa as one document after you arrive in country.

Thats because the Thais dont want a bunch of unqualified morons in their country

Thats because the old men dont have to work, they are retired and enjoying themselves

5. I seem to be the only guy working hear under 25yo most people who I see are over 40 I'm not talking about tourists.

Thats because most people under 25 are too busy in their own country earning decent money and buliding on their careers               

6. The drink is cheap its not wake up the price is the same as Australia. I don’t drink so it doesn’t matter to me

So what are you moaning for?

7. the worst public transport system outside of Bangkok no metro or aircond bus service in Pattaya or Kong Kean what the deal with that they are missing a lot of tourist because it too uncomfortable

And you have metro in the outback do you?

YOURE NOT IN A ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY!!! If a Thai person comes to Australia on holiday would they expect everyone to speak Thai? No so shut up moaning

9. Ban the motorbikes from all main roads in Thailand and fine them 100000 baht if seen any near the main roads

Cars are so expensive the normal Thai person cant afford a car

Thats what happens in a developing country

11. Shops don’t seem to stock any western size clothes I mean if you’re over 6 foot tall most of the shirts and basic clothes don’t fit.

I am 6'8 never had a problem, but again youre in a Asian country where the average height isnt much above 5 feet

12. Too much noise after 12am at night and most of that is from drunken people and loud music

Thats what you get when you live in a big city, try any city on a friday night at 11pm

13. the most expensive apartment costs in south East Asia what’s the deal with 40000 plus for a 2 bed apartment in Nonthaburi even worse in Sathorn.

Trying getting the same in any Western country

14. The rail network is shit trains could run at 160kph in Bangkok but crawl at 30kph until after Rangsit. Plus get rid of the non air cond trains.

If you dont like the train then fly, you get what you pay for

15. More metro now and full track doubling and electrification of country lines to Japanese standards i.e. 250 kph min on the main line to issan

You wanna go and see the inlaws quicker do you?

16. Kill the green and white buses in Bangkok buy some full size air con arc buses

You going to pay the extra for the people who cant afford the cost of riding on the aircon? 

17. Allow western people to get PR and set up businesses without having to prove 2million baht many good shops could be set up for less than 500000 baht and employ a few Thais

Yeah great idea, let every bar fly come over here and open some scabby little business just to get a w/p

Why dont you try learning the language of the country youre living in

Again learn the language,you dont see every tv program around the world subtitled into every language so why should Thaios do it?

Why not? why should Thais miss out just because they dont speak English

Rant off

Well let me tell you something, you clearly have no understanding of the country your living in, rather than speanding time moaning about everything you dont like, why not try going out and find things you do like, if there arent any, i hate to use this cliche, but <deleted> off back to your own country

Edited by daleyboy

thats the thing about different countries...

they're... different.

maybe you should have included a list of positives too - all you'll get from this post is flaming!

I for one would quite happily leave the cold approaching winter in the UK to live and work in Thailand, learning the language and accepting the thai way of life would be a price I would happily pay.

I am 6'8 never had a problem, but again youre in a Asian country where the average height isnt much above 5 feet

jeezus - are you really that tall - are you sure you want to buy a tuk tuk - youll be grazing yer knees on every passing vehicle... :D

sorry :o

Rant ON

Thats because youre not in a English speaking country

Thats because youre in a developing country

Thats because the Thais dont want a bunch of unqualified morons in their country

Thats because the old men dont have to work, they are retired and enjoying themselves

Thats because most people under 25 are too busy in their own country earning decent money and buliding on their careers               

So what are you moaning for?

And you have metro in the outback do you?

YOURE NOT IN A ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY!!! If a Thai person comes to Australia on holiday would they expect everyone to speak Thai? No so shut up moaning

Cars are so expensive the normal Thai person cant afford a car

Thats what happens in a developing country

Thats what you get when you live in a big city, try any city on a friday night at 11pm

Trying getting the same in any WEstern country

If you dont like the train then fly, you get what you pay for

You wanna go and see the inlaws quicker do you?[/color

You going to pay the extra for the people who cant afford the cost of riding on the aircon?

Yeah great idea, let every bar fly come over here and open some scabby little business just to get a w/p

Why dont you try learning the language of the country youre living in

Again learn the language,you dont see every tv program around the world subtitled into every language so why should Thaios do it?

Why not? why should Thais miss out just because they dont speak English

Rant off

Well let me tell you something, you clearly have no understanding of the country your living in, rather than speanding time moaning about everything you dont like, why not try going out and find things you do like, if there arent any, i hate to use this cliche, but <deleted> off back to your own country

###### it daleyboy.. you bet me to it!!

I agree 100% with what you are saying... It is what it is because it is Thailand.. maybe if you were a 40 yr old guy (or maybe a bit more mature) you would understand that!

:o:D

Thailand would not have the same charms as it does if it was just a carbon copy of London/New York/Sydney.

I am curious, why did you move here in the first place? Did you not at least have an inkling about some of the 'problems' you would face?

[

what a selfish twa* you are,,did you really think the grass is always greener and that this country will supply everything for you..?? wake up from the dream your still in, must just be a typical arrogant ozzie !!! if you dont like f.right off !!

jeezus - are you really that tall - are you sure you want to buy a tuk tuk - youll be grazing yer knees on every passing vehicle...  :D

sorry  :o

lol yes mate just a tad too tall. Check my profile out, notice the lump of wood the wife is stood on? :D

I'd like to add to his list that the condoms are too small.

Yep i will second that, not that i would know mind :o been married for 4 years and all that :D

But this is Thailand :D if i was a Thai man i would be ashamed at the size of condoms in my country :D

Edited by daleyboy