For Those Of You Concerned About Facebook

Somtamnication

Your link doesn't work anymore...

But from The Next Web:

Facebook has confirmed that the way it collects information from its users may result in the transmission of user data from third-party websites, even when they are logged out, but has asked for users to trust the company and will fix a total of three cookie-related issues within the next 24 hours.

More here

Edited by lazygourmet

They are a sneaky bunch and they are laughing all the way to the bank. The public gives them all they want no matter how they infringe.

Where is the anti-Facebook. I would love a social networking site that isn't selling my info.

Facebook is spyware

..Thailand should open it's own..calling it "Keeping Facebook" :whistling:

I am considering a two-browser approach, since I'm now using FB a lot.

One browser for FB, another for everything else... the other one would have all cookies removed and of course be logged out from Facebook. Low tech, and works 100%.

Not sure what browser(s) you are using, but most browsers have a "private browsing" feature, that doesn't save any cookies or other data on your computer.

Granted there have been problems with plug-ins and Adobe flash, but they seem to have been resolved.

Wouldn't that be an easier approach? Or do you think (or know) that there still are some leaks, between private and regular browsing sessions?

Stick to personal Emails Face book is much too intrusive,for those that like their Personal Privacy,

some people may like every detail of their lives posted,and commented on by strangers,but not for me,and who wants to know about the inane trivialities of bored people with nothing better to do?

Someone once uploaded a perfectly ordinary Photo of me without my permission,so that everyone and their Dog,received it! so be prepared to lose your privacy more and more as time goes on!

And do they have to keep telling us there are hundreds of contacts waiting to meet one,including Pedophiles preying on the young and gullible.

IMHO a Big Brother Disaster waiting to happen! it will only get worse.

Get a life before the disaster happens.

Edit Typo

Edited by MAJIC

Never had a Facebook account. Never will.

Never looked at a Facebook page. Probably never will.

There is already far too much dross on the internet without needing to look at user-generated social networking pages telling me who likes someone I never heard of, who is friends with someone I never heard of, and what someone I dont know did last Sunday.

Never done twitter either, for that matter.

It's all moronic dross of the very lowest type, and about as interesting as examining stools.

There is already far too much dross on the internet without needing to look at user-generated social networking pages telling me who likes someone I never heard of, who is friends with someone I never heard of, and what someone I dont know did last Sunday.

It's all moronic dross of the very lowest type, and about as interesting as examining stools.

Bang on the nail!

Facebook keeps bugging me with spam e-mail saying I have notifications,

but of course, when I check, I do not. :bah:

Same for me,looks they are getting desperate to keep up the interest,in their all about nothing much,triviality website.

Firefox has a Facebook Blocker add-on, but I can't vouch for how well it works.

I'm not a user of FB, but I have a dummy account to get updates on discounts from certain airlines.

Something FB is doing is selling login security to other sites. This seems to be catching on.

One website I am registered with gave up it's login system and now you can only log in via FB. I used my dummy account, but I don't like all this tracking and cross-referencing.

I have no intention of getting involved in FB. Email is good enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if FB was peeking at your other cookies. I hope eventually FB will go back to what it was supposed to be to begin with, a thing for kids.

Edited by bendejo

Not sure what browser(s) you are using, but most browsers have a "private browsing" feature, that doesn't save any cookies or other data on your computer.

Granted there have been problems with plug-ins and Adobe flash, but they seem to have been resolved.

Wouldn't that be an easier approach? Or do you think (or know) that there still are some leaks, between private and regular browsing sessions?

Consider the following scenario.

1. You use "incognito" or "in private" browsing and go to sites with Facebook "Like" icons. Facebook collects the URL of the page you visit and your IP address.

2. You close down the "in private" session and/or switch to a different browser.

3. You log on to your Facebook account.

Facebook can now associate your Facebook ID with your IP address, and (with at least 95%, probably more like 99% accuracy) associate those stored URLs with your Facebook ID.

Sorry. That's just how the web works. And it isn't just Facebook. Google can do this with Google+ and DoubleClick. Microsoft can do it with Hotmail and Live. And so on.

That's the Achilles heel in the article I wrote for InfoWorld last week.

+100

I couldn't agree more.