Thai Student Nazi Dress-Up Day Causes Outrage

webfact

Lost in the discussion is the fact that Sacred Heart Catholic School is under the guidance an influence of the Roman Catholic Church. The RC has a very clear position on Nazis and the the events related to WWII: It abhors the event and considers the Nazi period to be one horrible sin. I'm not trying to start a debate on the Church, but am emphasizing that there can be no excuse for this event at a Catholic school because it violates the current position of the Church Having students parading about in nazi garb is an affront and rebuke to the Church. As such, the argument that the poor dears were ignorant or that the swastika is a good luck sign etc holds no water. The use of non Christian symbols, particularly those associated with practices and customs not consistent with Church teachings and positions is contrary to the Church doctrine, and are neither encouraged nor promoted by Church associated entities.

It seems to me that the Roman Catholic clergy needs to assert itself in this matter. Either the school is worthy of being called a Catholic School or it is not. At the very least, someone needs a smack across the head from a Sister Mary Margaret and needs to revisit the compulsory morals class and curriculum.

I suggest that you reconsider Pope XII's relationship with Nazi Germany. Pacelli had much to answer for. Are you aware that it was the Catholic Church that provided the escape route through Genoa for the Odessa organisation to filter high ranking Nazis to South America? The Catholic Church, much the same of the Nazis, is an engine of oppression. It should come as no great surprise that those indoctrinated students should pull such a stunt. Can you name just one prosperous Catholic country? Forget contraception ladies, just keep churning out more recruits for our faith and ignore your health, your financial situation and the world population crisis. Go on believing the mis-truths and lies we spread and keeping the money rolling in.

What chances that these stupid, ignorant, young people will surprise us next year and parade around pretending to be Hasadic Jews?

In a previous thread I said; sooner or later those with extreme right wing, anti Jewish, anti Catholic and racist views will make an appearance, they always do.

And it appears I was right.

Slowly but surely they are crawling out of the woodwork.

I do not know why the Mods haven't yet closed these threads because if they continue on too long, then they just become platforms for the extremists and political loons.

And please let me remind Thai visa that many comments being made on here, do contravene many of the rules.

Edited by Beetlejuice

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is unacceptable that such an activity and such behaviour would be allowed on the site of a Catholic school. It was the duty and the obligation of the school administraters and any clergy present to immediately stop the parade and festivities. By not doing so, they violated the Church's position and were in breach of their duty to uphold the teachings of the Church. All those that remained silent have sinned.

At the very least, I would expect the clergy to speak out.......................nah, not really wink.gif, they're OK with Nazism.

from Sacred Heart School of Chiang Mai via Email

REF: Deeply Apologies

To whom this may concern,

On 23 September 2011, at Sacred Heart School of Chiang Mai has organized a sport day activity and it has been divided into groups of 7 different colors and amongst its various colors, there was the “Red” color group which was dressed up imitating some Nazi symbols. The purpose and motivation was to provide a sense of participation in much closer knowledge of being together for this particular “Red” color group. In fact, the main reason and desire behind of imitating some of these symbols was not to create any differences of damaging each individual image and identity.

We, the entire Sacred Heart School personal are deeply saddened by this incident which has caused much undesirable inconvenience. And we wish to extent our sincerity and our deepest regret towards all those who have provided us the utmost knowledge and are more aware of getting our teachers, staffs and students in fulfilling and realizing in the most respectful and civilize behavior in this society. We will be take more serious approach and provided more positive behavior for not creating any sure event in our school compound in anytime, anywhere.

We deeply and sincere apologies.

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

Director of Sacred Heart School

On 23 September 2011, at Sacred Heart School of Chiang Mai has organized a sport day activity and it has been divided into groups of 7 different colors and amongst its various colors, there was the "Red" color group which was dressed up imitating some Nazi symbols. The purpose and motivation was to provide a sense of participation in much closer knowledge of being together for this particular "Red" color group. In fact, the main reason and desire behind of imitating some of these symbols was not to create any differences of damaging each individual image and identity.

We, the entire Sacred Heart School personal are deeply saddened by this incident which has caused much undesirable inconvenience. And we wish to extent our sincerity and our deepest regret towards all those who have provided us the utmost knowledge and are more aware of getting our teachers, staffs and students in fulfilling and realizing in the most respectful and civilize behavior in this society. We will be take more serious approach and provided more positive behavior for not creating any sure event in our school compound in anytime, anywhere.

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

Garbage! bah.gif

'Dressed up imitating some Nazi symbols'

What about the banners, the uniforms, the goose step etc etc.

Why weren't the teachers already aware of respect (is this an admission that the teachers were involved) and let's hear from the clergy.

Edited by uptheos

On 23 September 2011, at Sacred Heart School of Chiang Mai has organized a sport day activity and it has been divided into groups of 7 different colors and amongst its various colors, there was the “Red” color group which was dressed up imitating some Nazi symbols. The purpose and motivation was to provide a sense of participation in much closer knowledge of being together for this particular “Red” color group. In fact, the main reason and desire behind of imitating some of these symbols was not to create any differences of damaging each individual image and identity.

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

If the concept of this sports day was entirely Thai then I can see how it could happen, ignorance of matters outside Thailand know no bounds here. If however anyone from outside Thailand was involved in any part of the preparations then the same could not be reasonably said.

I can't personally get too worked up about this considering crowds demonstrating in Cairo were carrying banners with swastikas on then and captions such as 'The gas chambers are ready'. To sum up there is a big difference between ignorance and racist hatred.

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

I have given up trying to correct this. Good to see that the English department is keeping up the Thai academic average. If this wasn't so serious you really would laugh that this place claims to be a school.

I wonder if this was written by the guy at Notthenation. As for the words "apology" and "sorry" they are rather stark in their absence. Furthermore, we are very sorry for your "undesirable inconvenience".

Note to Director : When making an English language press release, it is better to get a native speaker to proof read it first.

I can't personally get too worked up about this considering crowds demonstrating in Cairo were carrying banners with swastikas on then and captions such as 'The gas chambers are ready'. To sum up there is a big difference between ignorance and racist hatred.

But this is Chiang Mai huh.gif

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

I have given up trying to correct this. Good to see that the English department is keeping up the Thai academic average. If this wasn't so serious you really would laugh that this place claims to be a school.

I wonder if this was written by the guy at Notthenation. As for the words "apology" and "sorry" they are rather stark in their absence. Furthermore, we are very sorry for your "undesirable inconvenience".

Note to Director : When making an English language press release, it is better to get a native speaker to proof read it first.

Probably an english teacher that wrote it.

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

i

The due diligence involved with the English language apology is perfectly in keeping with that of the incident they are apologizing for. I'm more and more certain that this incident be filed in the drawer labelled T.I.T.

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

Probably an english teacher that wrote it.

Exactly. The incompetence continues.

Don't they have native English teachers (or even students) on staff who could have reviewed that shockingly lame statement and stopped it before it got out there? The embassies who sent complaints perhaps should have been more charitable and included a proper apology template letter sample the school could have used. Pathetic, really. How much do they charge there? I have another question, do you think the Pope knows about this incident?

Edited by Jingthing

Don't they have native English teachers (or even students) on staff who could have reviewed that shockingly lame statement and stopped it before it got out there? I have another question, do you think the Pope knows about this incident?

If he does, he will probably deny he ever knew about it. Standard procedure

Don't they have native English teachers (or even students) on staff who could have reviewed that shockingly lame statement and stopped it before it got out there? I have another question, do you think the Pope knows about this incident?

Well, he does have an email address.

benedettoxvi@vatican.va

Somehow I think the phrase "undesirable inconvenience" probably sums up their feelings.

But what a spectacular showing of inhumanity and ignorance even in the supposed apology!

Personally I would be more interested in seeing who paid for that humongous poster, not a cheap item.

Somehow I think the phrase "undesirable inconvenience" probably sums up their feelings.

But what a spectacular showing of inhumanity and ignorance even in the supposed apology!

Personally I would be more interested in seeing who paid for that humongous poster, not a cheap item.

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

Director of Sacred Heart Schoo

I presume Sr. stands for Sister. Even more shocking lack of "humanity".

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

Director of Sacred Heart Schoo

I presume Sr. stands for Sister. Even more shocking lack of "humanity".

Yes it does, if you do a Google you will see her quoted from a Catholic conference as saying to improve students understanding of the poor old hilltribes her students got to spend a night in a village to improve understanding.

Just a shame I guess that they missed out the entire history of 20th century!

Yes it does, if you do a Google you will see her quoted from a Catholic conference as saying to improve students understanding of the poor old hilltribes her students got to spend a night in a village to improve understanding.

The trip probably confirmed the understanding "We definitely don't want to live like this," and that hilltribers aren't deserving of passports, in between lots of pictures with V signs.

For Sister Darunee Sripramong, head of the Sacred Heart School in Chiang Mai, because in Thai society minorities are marginalised and treated with condescension, “each year we have our students take part in outdoor immersion programmes. As part of this, they spend a night up in one of 10 to 20 hill villages. They bring their books and material but they also learn from the hill tribes; for instance, the way they cook rice and enjoy life.”

Yup, one day of learning, not giving. Ooooh, the hardship. Of course, donating something, or lobbying the government for fair treatment of hill tribes wouldn't be more constructive or less condescending. I hear they are very proud of their scholarships. I wonder how many they offer to hilltribes?

Edited by Thai at Heart

The trip probably confirmed the understanding "We definitely don't want to live like this," and that hilltribers aren't deserving of passports, in between lots of pictures with V signs.

For Sister Darunee Sripramong, head of the Sacred Heart School in Chiang Mai, because in Thai society minorities are marginalised and treated with condescension, “each year we have our students take part in outdoor immersion programmes. As part of this, they spend a night up in one of 10 to 20 hill villages. They bring their books and material but they also learn from the hill tribes; for instance, the way they cook rice and enjoy life.”

Yup, one day of learning, not giving. Ooooh, the hardship. Of course, donating something, or lobbying the government for fair treatment of hill tribes wouldn't be more constructive or less condescending. I hear they are very proud of their scholarships. I wonder how many they offer to hilltribes?

Where does it say there was no scholarships offered, no donation of goods or money?

Its always easy and entertaining to condemn others based on our own conjecture, but others might take what you had said seriously. You should not over-estimate the intelligence of your readers

(easily done on this forum)

SC

Of course, the American history that's taught in US schools is biased, and sometimes tends toward chauvinistic myth-making.

I'd go with that. They could do with dispelling the myth that you lot rolled up and saved everyone's ass. I'd posit not many over there know that Britain prevented their country from being taken by a superior air force in the Battle of Britain (WITHOUT the US) and that Germany declared war on the US. As great as the achievements of the US may be, the gung-ho 'we are the shit' attitude irritates many.

I call BS! Oh yee who would think yee so intelligent there was 3 squadrons of VOLUNTEER American pilots known as the Eagle Squadrons that served in the British airforce well before the country as a whole actually joined the conflict. They were key in helping Britain win the Battle of Britain..

Get your facts straight before spouting such tripe, it seems your education system is failing you just as badly or you were just asleep the day they taught the REAL facts in your class, in any case you're welcome on behalf of my dead father...

Eagle Squadrons

Edited by WarpSpeed

One thing the Nazis have in common with the Thais is their reinvention of history to propagate a nationalist sentiment among the populus.

Absolutely and another reason why so inappropriate. And of course they realise nothing of the irony of the whole situation.

Lost in the discussion is the fact that Sacred Heart Catholic School is under the guidance an influence of the Roman Catholic Church. The RC has a very clear position on Nazis and the the events related to WWII: It abhors the event and considers the Nazi period to be one horrible sin. I'm not trying to start a debate on the Church, but am emphasizing that there can be no excuse for this event at a Catholic school because it violates the current position of the Church Having students parading about in nazi garb is an affront and rebuke to the Church. As such, the argument that the poor dears were ignorant or that the swastika is a good luck sign etc holds no water. The use of non Christian symbols, particularly those associated with practices and customs not consistent with Church teachings and positions is contrary to the Church doctrine, and are neither encouraged nor promoted by Church associated entities.

It seems to me that the Roman Catholic clergy needs to assert itself in this matter. Either the school is worthy of being called a Catholic School or it is not. At the very least, someone needs a smack across the head from a Sister Mary Margaret and needs to revisit the compulsory morals class and curriculum.

So the sponsors of a parade have to endorse all the political views not only of the people participating in the parade, but also the characters that they dress up as?

I don't have a strong view on how people dress in parades, and if they had gone around burning effigies of Billy Connolly I hope I would have taken it in my stride, but I do get concerned when people start attacking others' freedom of dress without acknowledging that they are on a march down the slippery slope to tyranny.

Many of the more outspoken posters on this thread have been condemning the parade participants for failing to hold the same views that they themselves hold, and making comments like "those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it". But learning from history is different from knowing one's history. The Nazi party rose to power led by a demagogue who appealed to the disenfranchised, and made them feel victims, and gave them the moral guidance to start a struggle against 'foreigners' including their neighbours of other races. Deutsche Leibe Deutsche might have been a better name for the party than National Socialist.

I suppose most of us are particularly distressed by the horrors of the holocaust because we find it hard to understand how our neighbours, who seem so much like us, could have participated, albeit tacitly, and perhaps fear that in such a position we would ourselves have lacked the spiritual and moral heroism that was exhibited by the few who stood against the tyranny within Germany.

As others have said - perhaps this could be the starting point for a learning activity on the history of tyranny, good taste and consideration for others' feelings. In which case, one way of starting that educational process would be "YOU ARE SO IGNORANT!" and we could take it from there...

SC

That's a lovely post,

Children running around in Nazi costumes in school? Pure ignorance.

Why is this term "the holocaust" used exclusively with the Jews? Shouldn't it apply to all mass systematic killings of a race? And maybe it's just me, but it riles me that the Native North Americans are rarely, if ever included in these types of discussions. Could this be due to ignorance?

Yes why stop at native North Americans let's go all the way back to the conquests and inquisitions of Europe while were at it :rolleyes: ??

Do they know that if Hitler had his ways they'd be considered as second class monkeys on the scale of mankind?

And you honestly think that this is not exactly how the highest echelons of the west really look at the Thai's?

They do not need nor require such a petty little incident as this to justify this way of thinking.

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

Geeez! If that's the best English they can provide that is just as distressing :( ..

On 23 September 2011, at Sacred Heart School of Chiang Mai has organized a sport day activity and it has been divided into groups of 7 different colors and amongst its various colors, there was the "Red" color group which was dressed up imitating some Nazi symbols. The purpose and motivation was to provide a sense of participation in much closer knowledge of being together for this particular "Red" color group. In fact, the main reason and desire behind of imitating some of these symbols was not to create any differences of damaging each individual image and identity.

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

Geeez! If that's the best English they can provide that is just as distressing :( ..

But gives an interesting insight into why English usage is so bad in Thailand, if this is what is coming out of a school director imagine what is being taught...;)

Yours respectfully,

Sr. Darunee Sripramong

But gives an interesting insight into why English usage is so bad in Thailand, if this is what is coming out of a school director imagine what is being taught...;)

Just imagine what it would have read like if this happened before google-translate.

Deeply apologies indeed.

Edited by Kananga