U.P.S.

gennisis

I regularly order over the internet chcolates from uk.

Thorntons only ship internationaly by UPS,with a usual 4 day delivery, I had asked them to deliver by Parcelpost with the possibility of no duties, but they refuse... the chocs arrive OK. I never order during the .'hot'. months.. The package is delivered at Chiang Mai and duty is paid when requested...

Thorntons have regularly held special offers so 3 weeks ago I ordered...delivered in 4 days...all OK.

Realising the current special offers were very good value I ordered again. Dispatched on the 19th I anticipated delivery on or about the 22/23rd.

NO....on the 24th I recieve a registered letter from UPS Bangkok wanting a copy of my passport and details of the package contents....for customs clearance!!

Why all this hassle on a simple 1.5 kilo package.?..which I have not had previously.

Their paperwork clearly states the contents and value....why the passport requirements?

In the meantime of course my chocolates,having now spent 6 days in the heat of Thailand,are most likely softened and spoilt. They still have not been delivered....and I guess that If I want to inspect them before paying duty...with the option of not paying if they are spoilt, a good heated discussion at my gate.

As I said in my topic heading...Stupid...incompetent or just bloody minded.?????

just been on thorntans web sight and they warn about charges this end,call it what you like,i would call it money vulters.is it thorn.direct that send to u because we miss them,my daughter did send us some arrived in a right mess but after a day in the fridge they still tasted better than the stuff they call choco.over here.looked at the deliv.for thailand £54.80 for 5kilo's is that it?

just been on thorntans web sight and they warn about charges this end,call it what you like,i would call it money vulters.is it thorn.direct that send to u because we miss them,my daughter did send us some arrived in a right mess but after a day in the fridge they still tasted better than the stuff they call choco.over here.looked at the deliv.for thailand £54.80 for 5kilo's is that it?

I have made more than 5 purchases from Thorntons....no problems before this last one.

You cant do much about the shipping costs...my last order was a choc value of 15 GBP( would have been 30 GBP) with a shipping cost of 34 GBPannoyed.gif,but cant do much about that UPS charge.

I have found that by choosing from their special offers or sale offers the price drops by up to 50% which then helps with the imported price.

My last recieved order had a duty of 400 baht.,,,but overall...as you say..still a fair overall price for some quality chocolates.

Up here in Chiang Mai I can get some Belgium chocs..limited selection...and about 20-25 baht each. The Thorntons have cost less than this.even with all the added charges.....as long as I choose from the "special offers!!

I would add that they deduct the VAT from the price...every little helps!!

Edited by gennisis

I also had the customs wanting my passport,etc. and held up my colon cleansing kit for about ten days. All they had to do was look at the companies website to see what it was. I have had terrible luck with thievery of items shipped to me in the last 15 years of living in Asia. Others will say all is well with ALL their deliveries for the last hundred years they have lived here. Nowdays I have products shipped first to my daughter in the states (usually for free). She then repackages these in birthday wrapping paper covered by plain brown paper. She then writes "Happy Birthday" all over the package. Since then, only one package stolen and never have had to pay any taxes on the gifts. B)

I also had the customs wanting my passport,etc. and held up my colon cleansing kit for about ten days. All they had to do was look at the companies website to see what it was. I have had terrible luck with thievery of items shipped to me in the last 15 years of living in Asia. Others will say all is well with ALL their deliveries for the last hundred years they have lived here. Nowdays I have products shipped first to my daughter in the states (usually for free). She then repackages these in birthday wrapping paper covered by plain brown paper. She then writes "Happy Birthday" all over the package. Since then, only one package stolen and never have had to pay any taxes on the gifts. B)

I grieve for your blocked colon...hope its clear now.

normally if i want anything bought from the u, i get someone to buy it for me and ship it parcel force ... never use fed ex , dhl or ups as customs will always add on a charge

I do it the same! But ATTENTION!!!

Carefully on EMS. Maybe not everywhere but for me in Bangkok. 3 times someone sent something EMS.

Go there, wait 2 hours, pay a lot.

Or send someone and get problems: It is for a company, you need to pay 4000 Baht fee (+the duty+tax) or 2000 under the table, etc etc.

Normal postal: no problem, even a small scuba tank: no problem

Seems to me that UPS are not to blame. Try Thai Customs who are reputed to take more money than BiB. The London dockers years ago could be very awkward to those who did not offer 'presents'.

YES...it does seem that their tame customs guy is at the source....Have had further emails from them...more stupid questions. I have pointed out to them that this package is the same as the one they delivered 2 weeks ago,and it does not contain drugs,weapons or alcohol. I have complained to the USA head office of UPS...dont think it will make an ounce of difference though.....T I Tannoyed.gif

Edited by gennisis

Seems to me that UPS are not to blame. Try Thai Customs who are reputed to take more money than BiB. The London dockers years ago could be very awkward to those who did not offer 'presents'.

Sorry but I dont agree with you.

UPS have been paid ..their excessive sum I would add...as far as I am concerned it is UPS responsibilty to honour their contract.....to DELIVER. If they have to placate locals...so be it...still part of their responsibilities

YES...it does seem that their tame customs guy is at the source....Have had further emails from them...more stupid questions. I have pointed out to them that this package is the same as the one they delivered 2 weeks ago,and it does not contain drugs,weapons or alcohol. I have complained to the USA head office of UPS...dont think it will make an ounce of difference though.....T I Tannoyed.gif

Well...this now beats everything.

I have just recieved from UPS their demand to pay 2,600 baht before they will deliver. This included 1,200 baht for 'Storage" since last friday and a custom inspection fee of another 1000 baht. The actual duty is 400 baht...the same as I paid on the last delivery I have suggested to the "officer' that he looks for it where the sun dont shine.

I have heard and read about Thai Customs officers and the general dishonesty and scams that take place here...I now believe everything.........unbelieveable !!!

I have just recieved from UPS their demand to pay 2,600 baht before they will deliver. This included 1,200 baht for 'Storage" since last friday and a custom inspection fee of another 1000 baht. The actual duty is 400 baht...the same as I paid on the last delivery I have suggested to the "officer' that he looks for it where the sun dont shine.

I have heard and read about Thai Customs officers and the general dishonesty and scams that take place here...I now believe everything.........unbelieveable !!!

hi, Tesco sell cadburys chocolate but in teco packaging. milk chocolate is blue and white, dark is red and white. dont know how many grams but its a big bar for 40 baht. if you read the packaging on the back, it will tell you made by cadburys UK. i know not the same as thorntons but delicious nonetheless. try it. :jap:

I grieve for your blocked colon...hope its clear now.

Don't grieve it never actually died, just smelled kinda shitty :bah:

send a copy of your letters to the bangkok post and if you get no joy then one to the sun in the uk asking them to expose this.my experiance is that all agents in most countries know whats going on

because we were warned when my wife shipped her belongings here.nothing but a bunch of twits.sorry cant spell.

gennisis this might be the right person to send an e-mail to.arglit booyai,multimedia editor,bangkok post.i am sure there are many tv members that have the same stories to tell,iam sure i have an invoice for 12,000bht which did not include any storage.