Are Thais Racist?

HowardJohnson

QUOTE(meemiathai @ 2005-11-08 14:33:2

. And there's always been banter between Brits and Aussies, Aussies and Kiwis, Yanks and Canadians the list goes on.

[right)

but thats exacltly what it is Zaz, its banter between all of us...erm "Whites."

We would never have banter of the same type with non-whites, otherwise we would be called "Racist"

Who is to blame for this?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree TP - when it's banter it's generally ok, even on the rare occassions where someone's brave enough to crack a few jokes or initiate a bit of banter. To be honest I've had that and it is funny and ok to have a laugh about it. I've seen a few comedians popping up from the Muslim and Asian world who openly take the mick out of their own people and I find it quite amusing because I can relate to what they are taking the mick out of.

In fact some of us Asian's use terms in conversation amongst ourselves that we would find offensive if used by other ethnic communities - strange that.

We are smelly farang. We eat red meat and drink dairy products which gives us a characteristic smell which the Thais notice because they don't eat as much red meat or dairy. When they say we smell what they mean is that we smell different to them.

Well...I bump into many farangs or rather into their "smell"...and I can tell you it is not their diet that makes them smell like that...unless it is a shower diet they are on...

Bull :o

I stopped laughing and sat opened mouthed in surprise when there were several references to the ugly girl of the film being called “Blackie” and “Monkey”.

My Thai friends in the UK call their kids 'monkeys' on a regular basis.

We are smelly farang. We eat red meat and drink dairy products which gives us a characteristic smell which the Thais notice because they don't eat as much red meat or dairy. When they say we smell what they mean is that we smell different to them.

Well...I bump into many farangs or rather into their "smell"...and I can tell you it is not their diet that makes them smell like that...unless it is a shower diet they are on...

Bull  :o

I wasn't talking about the unwashed hordes. I was talking about ordinary hygienic farang.

I think it's just one of those things where "It's ok for us to use those terms but not you"...!! Like for example in a lot of Hip Hop / Rap music the singers refer to each other as "n***er" and they even say that in conversation with each other but this would be offensive if a caucasion (I don't even like saying "white guy") used the term.

30 years ago you would not have to worry about calling somebody "A Black" now you can go to prison for it.

One of the reasons I live in Thailand.

One of the reasons you live in Thailand is so you can call someone "A Black"? That's about the most racist thing I've heard [a farang say] in a long time. I hope you're enoying the freedom.

30 years ago you would not have to worry about calling somebody "A Black" now you can go to prison for it.

One of the reasons you live in Thailand is so you can call someone "A Black"? That's about the most racist thing I've heard [a farang say] in a long time. I hope you're enoying the freedom.

Well Said FMX...The fact that TP is indignant about having his desire to racially abuse curbed makes me want to retch. TP do you relly think that the world is worse off because most people find racial slurrs offensive? Where do you buy your combat 18 magazines in LOS?

??? :o

<deleted>, that has never for one minute been the reason why I live here, although I do admit that I would like to be able to call someone who is black, "Black" in my country of origin without fear of prosecution. It's beuocracy gone fukcing mad.

Mind you I would HATE being called "White " ......if I had been working on my tan for 10 days....Oh you look Brown!!.. what a compliment.

As I said its really crazy and we need one person to sort all this sh*t out. Maybee the "Master of Mismanagement" George Dubya can do it. He thinks he can sort every other f'ing problem in the world out :D If not him call the Pope, he's the only religius leader with any real authority who could put a halt to this rubbish. Let the vatican come up with a protocol of speech that we could all adapt then nobody need ever get offended again....if not Him, who else :o

In the film in question the references are directed at other Thais, not at people from abroad, so it's not racism as such.

Also, humour differs. Even a person who would disagree with the terms used in real life could laugh at it on screen, because it's so obviously clear it's a made-up story. It's quite clever in some ways - the colour usage and hairdos, etc., are totally taking the mickey out of older Thai matinée movies, playing with the stereotypes, etc.

I have seen kathoeys laugh their heads off at movies like Satree lek. They accept that it's banter and dont take it so serious...

You have to remember that every language has its own boundaries for what is acceptable and not. In Thai the taboo zone differs from the Western one.

'Blackie' or 'darkie' sounds a lot worse in English than 'ai dum' does in Thai.

There is no organized racism here, no political parties who use it as a platform and suggest extermination of others - but all over the Western world we find such nutcases.

Everyday prejudice, low education levels and ignorance - sure.

Racism? Not really, I think. But considering how much foreign influence Thailand is experiencing at the moment, I dont think it's strange if it crops up sooner or later.

Instead of calling someone black try this one  "Hi there whats your name? I would hate to have to use a racial classifier for a fellow human being"

Just exactly how is one going to refer to a black person if one doesn't know his nationality? May I have your clever opinion, please?

Instead of calling someone black try this one  "Hi there whats your name? I would hate to have to use a racial classifier for a fellow human being"

Just exactly how is one going to refer to a black person if one doesn't know his nationality? May I have your clever opinion, please?

You could always ask, or say "that gentleman over there" as opposed that chink/packie/darkie it's pretty easy when you remember that we don't live in the 1950's

I'd like to elaborate on what has been said thus far to the question are Thai(s) racist...the answer is "No". :o

I have wittnessed a lot more racism in Thailand from Thais than at any time in England...I would say yes

Do you find the word "farang" racist, toastwars?

I'd like to elaborate on what has been said thus far to the question are Thai(s) racist...the answer is "No". :D

I have wittnessed a lot more racism in Thailand from Thais than at any time in England...I would say yes

Toasty - hmmmm not so sure of that mate. I've seen some pretty harsh stuff in blighty, more so than Thailand. (whether it was deserved is another question :o )

Can - Open - Worms all over the place! :o

Its obvoiusly quite emotive but some of the reponses I've seen here have answered my question. Are Thais deliberatley racist? I think not.

My personal opinion is that they consider these comments, in the context of the film, to be no more than a bit of fun. At least thats what I prefer to believe. I'd hate to think that there was a genuine dislike or hatred for any person simply because of the colour of their skin.

As always, the difference in our cultures throws up so many confusions.

Rent the DVD and make up your own minds.

I'd like to elaborate on what has been said thus far to the question are Thai(s) racist...the answer is "No". :o

Do you find the word "farang" racist, toastwars?

We have had this discussion before on TV, I personally dislike the term along with Gaigin in Japanese. I explained this to my Thai friends and they do not use farang in my presence. I don't use racially offensive classifiers in my everyday language and I find it baffling that others annot seem to function without them.