Investing In Wine

DEVATSAR

Hi all

This is general question which "may" get moved to the Business forum BUT I am very interested in previous thread/post made by a member about investing in wine

Does any forum members have money invested in wine?

Whats the pros and cons >

I have had some good feed back from a member who told me he is "doing well"

Would YOU invest in wine ?

Whats the wine market like out here in Thailand?

Looking forward in hearing views

Cheers all

Perhaps you get a bit more specific about your idea. Do you plan to import and sell wine, or do you plan to buy rare bottles and keep them in a collection, or do you consider starting a wine producing operation with a vineyard?

With the prohibitively high import and excise taxes here, it will always be difficult to sell decent wines.

The problem is that wine is taxed on value, and not on alcohol content, which is why a bottle of JW Black costs less than a crap Chilean wine.

What we usually get here is either lowest quality crap at excessive prices or high-end wines at fantasy prices.

So perhaps if you can find some decent wines at reasonable prices, you might have a chance to succeed in a wine dealer business.

So good luck to you.

If you are merely looking to invest in wine check www.thewinesociety.com

This is not a profit making company it is owned by teh shareholders, you need to buy one share.( every member has one share )

they can advise you about what wines to buy, when ready to drink etc, abnd for a small fee store teh wine ( about 20 Euro a year per case ) at perfect temperature.

they have extensive stocks, and some great wines ( as well as some excellent beers )

I laid down some claret in 1992 paid 220 pounds a case. It is now ready to drink and if you wanted to buy a bottle it would retail today at about 200 pounds.( twice that in a up scale restaraunt)

A reasonable return if I chose to sell, or a great wine if I choose to drink.

Of course it is wine and could end up as vinegar, but that is the chance you take

If you want to ship to Thailand however watch out for the tax as already pointed out.

There are wine makers in Thailand, and dispite the warm weather they are doing pretty well and have already although still in relative infancy at least one has several gold medals in international competitions, google it if you want to find out more.

http://www.khaoyaiwinery.com/en/history.html

Edited by KNJ