U.S. drone strikes in South Waziristan kill 4

News_Editor

U.S. drone strikes in South Waziristan kill 4

2011-09-28 17:50:11 GMT+7 (ICT)

MIRANSHAH, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- Renewed U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan on Tuesday have killed at least four suspected militants, local media reported on Wednesday.

The unmanned aircraft fired at least two missiles at compounds in the town of Azam Warsak in Pakistan's volatile tribal region of South Waziristan, the Express Tribune reported. The town is located near the city of Wana.

According to the reports, the four individuals killed were members of the local Taliban Nazir group. Local residents had spotted the U.S. drone flying around the area during the last couple of days, but it had not fired any missiles until Tuesday.

On Friday, U.S. drone missiles were launched against a house in the Mir Ali Khushali area of Pakistan's North Waziristan. The house was thought to belong to local tribal leader Jamal Wazir and the air strikes killed at least five people while several others are believed to have been injured, although the exact number is uncertain.

Last month, U.S. drone strikes in North and South Waziristan killed at least 42 people in six air attacks. It is unknown if they were all militants or if there were civilian casualties.

In the first seven months of the year, 51 U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan have killed at least 443 people, according to a report by Conflict Monitoring Center. The report showed that the two deadliest months were June and July, when 117 and 73 people were killed respectively. One of the deadliest attacks was carried out on July 11 and 12, when four air strikes killed 63 people, the report said.

Controversy has surrounded the drone strikes as local residents and officials have blamed them for killing innocent civilians and motivating young men to join the Taliban. Details about the alleged militants are usually not provided, and the U.S. government does not comment on the strikes.

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan said in its annual report that the U.S. drone strikes were responsible for 957 extra-legal killings in 2010. Since August 2008, there have been over 250 drone attacks which have reportedly killed more than 1,500 people in North and South Waziristan alone.

Pakistan's Afghan border, which the United States considers to be the most dangerous place on Earth, is known to be a stronghold of the Taliban-affiliated Haqqani Network, considered one of the top terrorist organizations and threats to U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-09-28

On Friday, U.S. drone missiles were launched against a house in the Mir Ali Khushali area of Pakistan's North Waziristan. The house was thought to belong to local tribal leader Jamal Wazir and the air strikes killed at least five people while several others are believed to have been injured, although the exact number is uncertain.

The reoccurring theme in all of the drone attack reports.

Always a report of x terrorist surely killed. Or I should say suspected terrorist.

Yes always several others injured or killed but THAT number is always uncertain.

Better they stick to the truth of it.....

Last month, U.S. drone strikes in North and South Waziristan killed at least 42 people in six air attacks. It is unknown if they were all militants or if there were civilian casualties.

In the first seven months of the year, 51 U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan have killed at least 443 people

Edited by flying

The reoccurring theme in all of the drone attack reports.

Always a report of x terrorist surely killed. Or I should say suspected terrorist.

Yes always several others injured or killed but THAT number is always uncertain.

Better they stick to the truth of it.....

In the first seven months of the year, 51 U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan have killed at least 443 people

Unfortunately the United States never confirms it carried out a drone strike so we don't hear who was the target. Most of the time we also never really hear from Pakistani officials.

Yeah it always amazes me how they can confirm such and such, a terrorist, was killed but can't confirm how many or who else was killed. Seems like they just thow the bombs out and whereever it lands they'll confirm they got who they want and forget about the rest.

Yeah it always amazes me how they can confirm such and such, a terrorist, was killed but can't confirm how many or who else was killed. Seems like they just thow the bombs out and whereever it lands they'll confirm they got who they want and forget about the rest.

C'mon now we are talking about Pakistan where terrorists have achieved agency capture of the intelligence services and is routinely used as a base to mount attacks on Nato in Afghanistan or even lay siege to Kabul. The chances of hitting a non-combatant must be as remote as hitting a non-Abo if you bombed the outback.

Edited by Steely Dan

C'mon now we are talking about Pakistan where terrorists have achieved agency capture of the intelligence services and is routinely used as a base to mount attacks on Nato in Afghanistan or even lay siege to Kabul. The chances of hitting a non-combatant must be as remote as hitting a non-Abo if you bombed the outback.

Then why be so selective by using drone bombs to only kill a few at a time? Using your analogy they should just use a nuke and flatten the lot as they are pretty much ALL terrorists. Even the US govt isn't dumb enough to believe that.

Though personally, I would think it would ease a lot of the world's greif if the whole are WAS nuked, I'd also include the whole middle east for nuking as well. But then again, who would we have to complain about?

I don't think you know much about the outback in oz either.

Yeah, I suspect they really don't want to confirm who else was killed. I think far too many civilians suffer from these air strikes.

I know it is off topic somewhat, but when I saw how the civilians of Iraq suffered from air-strikes in general (not drones), I really don't feel comfortable with it. It just seems so cowardly a way to pursue terrorists... and it instills a lot of fear and TERROR in the civilians. I know that fighting insurgents is necessary, but it reminds me of the African armed struggles, where it is the poor civilians who get it from both sides.