Policeman Sues Media Tycoon For Lese Majeste

george

Policeman sues media tycoon for lese majeste

BANGKOK: -- A senior police officer initiated legal action yesterday against outspoken media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul, claiming that he had verbally assaulted His Majesty the King. He claimed the media veteran had made an “inappropriate” comparison between HM the King and Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Colonel Samniang Loujiangkham, deputy commander of Yasothon provincial police, said Sondhi had gone too far in his fierce criticism of Thaksin’s government.

Police are expected file charges against Sondhi under lese majeste laws in the near future.

Sondhi blasted Thaksin in his “Muang Thai Rai Sapda” (Thailand Weekly) TV programme last Friday over the premier’s order to spend taxpayer money on a personal jet to be used for missions abroad.

The commentator said even His Majesty had no personal aircraft.

“Such commentary is not appropriate and should not be made in public,” Samniang said. “Sondhi shouldn’t touch this highly-respected institution.” Samniang is seen as a Thaksin ally in the premier’s legal battles against Sondhi, who has criticised the government for failing to curb widespread corruption and Thaksin personally for challenging royal power.

--The Nation 2005-11-09

Listening to the Radio Australia news feed on Metropolis FM last week and they reported that Thailand and Cambodia were copying Singapore and Malaysia in attempts to silence critics by bankrupting them through legal action. I know that's not news to most people but still, it's not something you usually hear reported so bluntly in Thailand.

I heard the PM say one time that Metropolis was his favourite radio station. Maybe he never listens to the news as if he did Radio Australia would probably face legal action or no longer be available in Thailand. :o

Interesting to see the amount of damages claimed for being insulted compared to compensation claimed for serious injury or death in custody. Loss of reputation is valued 100 times more than life itself.

:D

From what I found the lese majeste law prohibits criticism of the Royal Family.

Saying that someone doesn't have a private jet is critical??? :o

Although the lese majeste laws have the outward appearance of protecting the Royal Palace and Royal Family against criticism out of respect for the current Devaraja status of His Majesty, the laws have often been used for very overt political purposes. The most well known example was pressing charges against Achaan Sulak Srivaraksa, an ardent Royalist, who at the same time was opposed to the then current regime which later forced Sulak into exile for a few years.

Let's face it, mainland Southeast Asian politics are rather an embrassment at the best of times and horrific at the worst of times such as the institution of "Year Zero." Neighboring Burma, with the already psychotic government relocating into the jungle, is currently even more bizarre than the Thai government.

Only in the US does the populace need "Reality TV" for entertainment.

Chaiyo!

I'm quite ignorant of the law in Thailand [and hope I don't need any crash courses in it] but isn't there any concept of standing? Or can anyone go around suing anyone for alleged wrongs against anyone?

You are quite right.

I suspect this is a miss translation.

Suing is for civil matters.

"The police officer has brought charges against...."

would probably be a better way of phrasing it in English.