Expat Hub

Kringle

I've been on the Expat hub for awhile now and when I signed in the minimum was 10gig of sharing. I had less than this when I started but soon got over this level. The new requirement is to share 20 gig of stuff (not just MP3s). I saw the notice of the change but was just trying to get a larger HD so I could still participate in the hub.

I have only 2 hard drives at the moment with a total of 48 gig between the 2. The 40 gig is partitioned between my C & D and doesn't allow for too much extra. I have a list of most of the stuff that I can share in the way of movies and such but noone has contacted me to load anything. I don't have a DVD reader/writer yet so this makes it impossible for me to load this stuff. I have over 43 movies VCD and DVD format and over 40 Disney movies in DVD format. If anyone would like to help me get these loaded onto the HUB to help me get to the minimum, I would be glad to bring them to their place to do this.

I apologise for not being able to get these things into my share. I do wish I had been at least some better notice before being disconnected from the hub.

Thanks,

Kringle

20 gigs is pretty reasonable in my opinion - the auto disconnect might be for several reasons, but since the hub host is rotating at the moment it can be tricky to get everything just right. You need a new computer by the sounds of it. They are pretty cheap these days.

A new hard drive or a new computer is the way to go - pay a visit to Pantip or that other place - IT Fortune mall or whatever it is called. You can get a very decent machine for 25.000 baht.

If you dont want to spend that much, an internal hard drive of 80 GB is about 2400 baht, and a 250 GB one about 5000.

This new 'rule' caused me to spend some extra money to buy a new external HD :o

Few days ago I just bought 200GB 7200rpm Seagate HD for 4150 Baht, USB+FW external 3.5" enclosure for 1700 Baht, and extra HD fan for 120 Baht (stick outside the very hot enclosure).

I'm sorting and organizing out the files, ripping some games/DVD, and will be back to expathub in next few days.

PS: which software do you use for creating ISO files from CD directly (not by dragging files as in Nero)?

A new hard drive or a new computer is the way to go - pay a visit to Pantip or that other place - IT Fortune mall or whatever it is called. You can get a very decent machine for 25.000 baht.

If you dont want to spend that much, an internal hard drive of 80 GB is about 2400 baht, and a 250 GB one about 5000.

tend to agree...but those PMs were a little annoying...

dont crib if u get kicked or disconnected frm this hub....

the ops dont charge a thing for using the hub and mostly they are the ones who bring the 'fresh stuff' into the hub....

being in this hub isint our birth right or something....

i think ppl here have been very very helpfull....doin a gr8 job mantaining a quality hub.....

if you look into some of the good bit torrent sites...they have very strict share ratio policies....and that too they wont help you build up your share/ratio....

I didn't mean to be griping about the Hub at all. I got a lot of useful educational stuff for my little girl and will share more when I get the tools to do this. Without having a DVD reader/writer and 2 very small HDs it was just impossible for me to do this. I do wish to thank the guys on the hub for all the stuff I was able to get and did enjoy being able to see some TV shows that I can't get.

Thanks to all,

Chris