PM Yingluck Has 'No Plan' To Meet Suu Kyi On Burma Trip

webfact

This is like Kim Kardashian thinking she has a lot in common with Meryl Streep because they are both actors.

Kardashian is an actor? Did you read that in MAD?

Title of actor and actress, much like 'politician' or 'champion of the poor', is something you can put on the resume yourself. It isn't a protected term.

This 'news' article is stupid beyond belief. Thai leaders don't meet Suu Kyi. Abhisit didn't meet her on his equally short visit, and he gave very obvious (if diplomatically oblique) reasons why such things are non-starters.

This piece of non-news sums up the daft attempts by certain media to put a negative spin on anything connected to the new government.

Wasn't Suu Kyi still under house arrest last time Abhisit visited?

Are you trying to talk common sense to a red shirt.

This 'news' article is stupid beyond belief. Thai leaders don't meet Suu Kyi. Abhisit didn't meet her on his equally short visit, and he gave very obvious (if diplomatically oblique) reasons why such things are non-starters.

This piece of non-news sums up the daft attempts by certain media to put a negative spin on anything connected to the new government.

Which would've made it all-the-more pertinent for Absisit to have flagged up the Suu Kyi issue on his short visit. But Thai governments don't travel down that type of road, as explained by Abhisit at the time. Therefore, singling out Yingluk for criticism on this is a nonsense.

Which would've made it all-the-more pertinent for Absisit to have flagged up the Suu Kyi issue on his short visit. But Thai governments don't travel down that type of road, as explained by Abhisit at the time. Therefore, singling out Yingluk for criticism on this is a nonsense.

You are not making any sense.

At the time meeting her would be impossible.

Today it is fully possible.

See the difference?

You are not making any sense.

At the time meeting her would be impossible.

Today it is fully possible.

See the difference?

No, you are not paying attention:

Which would've made it all-the-more pertinent for Absisit to have flagged up the Suu Kyi issue on his short visit.///cut

What don't you posters understand about ongoing Thai government policy (as explained by Abhisit at the time of his visit to Myanmar) of not openly meddling in it's near neighbours' internal affairs?

Getting back to my earlier point, what on earth could these two totally dissimilar ladies have to talk about? Gucci's Fall line? The best whitening cream to wear? What it means to be a prisoner of conscience? I just don't think they're gonna jibe and be soul sisters.

Edited by lannarebirth

So you're complaining that Abhisit didn't visit her while she was effectively in jail, when Yingluck isn't visiting her when she's free?

So you're complaining that Abhisit didn't visit her while she was effectively in jail, when Yingluck isn't visiting her when she's free?

No, wrt this issue I'm not complaining about Abhisit, nor am I complaining about Yingluk. As I keep stating, Abhisit gave a perfectly good explanation of Thai government policy on interfering with neighbour countries' internal affairs. It's a far from ideal situation from my point-of-view, but I respect Thailand's standpoint as a very practical one. Is there something about this ongoing Thai government foreign policy that you don't understand?

Getting back to my earlier point, what on earth could these two totally dissimilar ladies have to talk about? Gucci's Fall line? The best whitening cream to wear? What it means to be a prisoner of conscience? I just don't think they're gonna jibe and be soul sisters.

So, who's your choice of leading Thai politicians who have the potential to find empathy with Suu Kyi? And why?

What Burma and Thailand had in common ? A junta and Newin.

The democrats chose to associate with both of them.

The Shinawatra got us rid of both of them

Any comment about that ?

And to prevent any comment that Newin was associated with Thaksin before the coup, lets remind our historically challenged friends that Newin (the Burmese) was also a friend and an associate of ASSK father before turning his coat and helping establish the current dictature.

So, who's your choice of leading Thai politicians who have the potential to find empathy with Suu Kyi? And why?

I had an initial knee-jerk answer to this question, but I decided to make a coffee and sit a spell outside to think about it.

Still came up with the same answer - none.

What Burma and Thailand had in common ? A junta and Newin.

The democrats chose to associate with both of them.

The Shinawatra got us rid of both of them

Any comment about that ?

Yep.

Newin is a cowering toady who switches allegiance faster than an Italian, just like his father (apologies to any Italians out there, just historical stereotyping) and the last time I looked, the military are still around.