South African Family's Phuket Holiday Nightmare

webfact

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. But a New Zealander introduced to him as a tourism police officer and one of the few officials who could speak English, told him it was safe to sign the document as it was "just a formality".

Unbeknown to Sequeira, by signing the statement he was acknowledging guilt.

With all due respect to the upright and law abiding Kiwi Tourist Police Volunteer that appears to have lied to the gentleman from South Africa, does anyone else consider this another nail in the coffin of their credibility?

Whose credibility? The SA gentleman's or the NZ volunteer's?

I believe there are facts we don't know over here, in this thread.

I often carry in a few thousand in AUD. Change it to THB as I need it. By far the best way for me as withdrawing cash at an ATM with either of my cards is expensive.

I wonder if the subject is black, and if he is how much that had to do with the targeting and treatment.

Well, from the pictures he definitely looks white to me. But I might be mistaken. Are you sure you have read all all posts and opened all referred links in this thread before replying?

People should know that a signed confession at the police inquiry stage -- particularly in a language the suspect does not understand -- is not binding.

The suspect must still enter a guilty plea at the court stage in order for it to stick. He is perfectly free still to enter a plea of innocent and have his day in court.

It sounds in this case, though, that the police investigation did not find enough evidence of intent to prosecute the guy and decided not to forward the case up the chain to the prosecutor's office.

I say "sounds like", because with a one-sided story full of credibility gaps like this nothing is really for sure.

And rumor, especially on TV is not fact. You can believe what you want, but I need more facts before I believe the police scammed this man.

I agree. This man might have been a victim, but I am not convinced yet. I think the readers of that newspaper might be victims of plain bad jurnalism.

"But a New Zealander introduced to him as a tourism police officer and one of the few officials who could speak English, told him it was safe to sign the document as it was "just a formality".

dry.gif

Glad to see the farang helped him out.

Yeah, I forgot to mention this. The "Tourist Police Volunteers" are usually very helpful people. I doubt that they would mislead any tourist into signing a document in which they commit a crime. I would like the name of the NZ guy and hear his side of the story.

Naive at best.

I'm interested in reading your book - Wait a minute, are you hi-jacking this thread for marketing purposes?

Edited by tombkk

I often carry in a few thousand in AUD. Change it to THB as I need it. By far the best way for me as withdrawing cash at an ATM with either of my cards is expensive.

I wonder if the subject is black, and if he is how much that had to do with the targeting and treatment.

Well, from the pictures he definitely looks white to me. But I might be mistaken. Are you sure you have read all all posts and opened all referred links in this thread before replying?

He was white, unless he used liters of Nivea cream.

As usual here we get all hot under the collar about a half reported story, I thing we have had one or two of threads before similar--oops sorry === most of the time. Is this done on purpose to get posters going after baiting them?????

He's white. If he were black you'd see lots of people angry that this counterfeiter got away without being sentences to life in prison

He was white, unless he used liters of Nivea cream.

As usual here we get all hot under the collar about a half reported story, I thing we have had one or two of threads before similar--oops sorry === most of the time. Is this done on purpose to get posters going after baiting them?????

I think he was really the original model for that guy on Darkie Toothpaste who now has a new modeling contract for Nivea cream.

"He paid a fine for overstaying his visa and was free to leave with no pending criminal action against him on record."

So not only was he possibly scammed out of all his money he was incarcerated and held in Thailand for a month. Then they have the nerve to fine him for overstaying his visa ontop of everything else there in lays another scam. So if there was no pending criminal action taken then I would pressume that the notes were not fake and all the monies extorted from him over the month were returned in full.

so he is innocent then yeah ? , no charges ?? <deleted> , How do they continue getting away with robbing tourists like this ,........... incredible , a similar thing happened to me in phuket many years ago , police demanded 200,000b from me and would not return my passport,...... i have never returned , why do our embassies not do something ? what are they scared of ??? ..........a bit of justice maybe ?, if i was'nt married to a thai i would not go anywhere near the place now , a miracle that anyone does .... land of scams !

AND did you pay them any ???? and what for they wanted 200 000 bath?

This story smells fishy. Why would anyone exchange their cash at a travel agency instead of a bank? Why would you bring US Dollars to Thailand instead of Thai Baht? It just doesn't make sense...

Do you think the guy could buy Thai Bath in S.A.?????????

What's a Thai Bath? I usually only see showers! biggrin.gif I use an ATM card where ever I have traveled without a problem. You get a higher exchange rate usually than cash and you won't end up in jail like this guy.

Plastic cards work pretty well almost everywhere unless you need a large amount of cash quick.

During my most recent travels I made a point to try every plastic card I had and all of them worked at every ATM I tried except the one from Kasikorn Bank which I intend to return and terminate.

Cash is not the direction the global economy is headed.

Just a note on the why the SA Consulate did not help him. No foreign consulates will offer any assistance to any of their citizens in a legal police matter. If you are out of jail on bail you are still incarcerated and the consulates cannot assist you and give you a new passport to get you home as they would be breaking Thai law. IN all legal matters, imprisonment and police charges the only thing a consulate can do is assist if your welfare is threatened. For example if you need some medicine or food in jail. If you are stuck in this country waiting up to two years for an appeal hearing with no means of work or travel as the courts hold your passport, the consulates cannot even help you there. They will not give you money for food and lodging to survive. They will only tell you to borrow from your family and friends back home. Do not mistake your consulate for people that are there to assist you once you are charged with any crime in Thailand bogus or not. They will visit you in Jail as the prisons have to notify all foreign consulates when a foreigner is detained. After that all they can do is offer you a list of local lawyers and contact your family and that is it.

"He paid a fine for overstaying his visa and was free to leave with no pending criminal action against him on record."

So not only was he possibly scammed out of all his money he was incarcerated and held in Thailand for a month. Then they have the nerve to fine him for overstaying his visa ontop of everything else there in lays another scam. So if there was no pending criminal action taken then I would pressume that the notes were not fake and all the monies extorted from him over the month were returned in full.

so he is innocent then yeah ? , no charges ?? <deleted> , How do they continue getting away with robbing tourists like this ,........... incredible , a similar thing happened to me in phuket many years ago , police demanded 200,000b from me and would not return my passport,...... i have never returned , why do our embassies not do something ? what are they scared of ??? ..........a bit of justice maybe ?, if i was'nt married to a thai i would not go anywhere near the place now , a miracle that anyone does .... land of scams !

According to the above, LOS (Land of Smiles) has another meaning (Land Of Scams)..... If the shoe fits - WEAR IT!!!!!! It used to be the topics were often the Nigerian scams, But in those you were 'suckered' into them...... Here it appears that the Thai Govt condones (or at least pardons) some of it's finest perpetrating the scams as official government business.

They were about to check out of their hotel when Sequeira crossed the road to exchange $1 000 (R7 800) at the bank in order to settle his hotel bill.

Every time I have paid in cash for a hotel in Thailand, I needed to pay up front.

Same with me, if you can't give them plastic they want the accommodation charge up front as well as a bond. With good reason. I know it's a generalisation, but people who pay cash for everything usually have something to hide. Does he wander around J'burg with loads of folding?

It's been said here many times already - Credit/Debit Cards, travellers' cheques.

Once again it sounds like we're missing something here...

While still in the cell a police officer brought a statement written in Thai for Sequeira to sign. He refused as he didn't understand the document. But a New Zealander introduced to him as a tourism police officer and one of the few officials who could speak English, told him it was safe to sign the document as it was "just a formality".

Once again, a fine work by the tourist police. Hope the NZ dude got a good share of the money.

This story smells fishy. Why would anyone exchange their cash at a travel agency instead of a bank? Why would you bring US Dollars to Thailand instead of Thai Baht? It just doesn't make sense...

Do you think the guy could buy Thai Bath in S.A.?????????

What's a Thai Bath? I usually only see showers! biggrin.gif I use an ATM card where ever I have traveled without a problem. You get a higher exchange rate usually than cash and you won't end up in jail like this guy.

Plastic cards work pretty well almost everywhere unless you need a large amount of cash quick.

During my most recent travels I made a point to try every plastic card I had and all of them worked at every ATM I tried except the one from Kasikorn Bank which I intend to return and terminate.

Cash is not the direction the global economy is headed.

I hope you used the ATMs that the Malaysian scammers did not have their card scanners installed on.

"He paid a fine for overstaying his visa and was free to leave with no pending criminal action against him on record"

They bleed this poor sap and his family dry on his LAST day in Thailand and then jam him up with an overstay!:annoyed:

While still in the cell a police officer brought a statement written in Thai for Sequeira to sign. He refused as he didn't understand the document. But a New Zealander introduced to him as a tourism police officer and one of the few officials who could speak English, told him it was safe to sign the document as it was "just a formality".

Once again, a fine work by the tourist police. Hope the NZ dude got a good share of the money.

Please get the "NZ dude's" side of the story before judging.

Just a note on the why the SA Consulate did not help him. No foreign consulates will offer any assistance to any of their citizens in a legal police matter. If you are out of jail on bail you are still incarcerated and the consulates cannot assist you and give you a new passport to get you home as they would be breaking Thai law. IN all legal matters, imprisonment and police charges the only thing a consulate can do is assist if your welfare is threatened. For example if you need some medicine or food in jail. If you are stuck in this country waiting up to two years for an appeal hearing with no means of work or travel as the courts hold your passport, the consulates cannot even help you there. They will not give you money for food and lodging to survive. They will only tell you to borrow from your family and friends back home. Do not mistake your consulate for people that are there to assist you once you are charged with any crime in Thailand bogus or not. They will visit you in Jail as the prisons have to notify all foreign consulates when a foreigner is detained. After that all they can do is offer you a list of local lawyers and contact your family and that is it.

The two last sentences are the support they can give you. Some embassies even have volunteers to visit prisoners. I wouldn't say the embassies won't offer assistance, that sounds like they wouldn't care and just drop their citizens. They don't do that. But their hands are bound insofar as they cannot help a prisoner be treated better than locals, and they are not a lawyer's agency. They help, within the restrictions, as much as they can.

"He paid a fine for overstaying his visa and was free to leave with no pending criminal action against him on record"

They bleed this poor sap and his family dry on his LAST day in Thailand and then jam him up with an overstay!:annoyed:

Do you have additional information you want to share with us, or are you judging from that one sentence?

You have obviously led a sheltered life, it is very common. Thomas Cook Travel Agency is one of the most famous agencies, they started the whole tour industry arranging the first ever tour excursion of 540 people between Loughborough and Leicester in the UK on the 5th of July 1841. I erected a plaque to commemorate this at Loughborough Station. Last year there were quite a number of cases of even Thomas Cook passing on forged EUROs to holiday makers. My gut feeling is that dodgy staff were swapping good notes for bad as normally all notes are checked on receipt, but not on issue.

It makes very good sense to carry dollars if you are in the habit of travelling to several destinations on a regular basis, especially if you believe the dollar will increase in value against the currencies of the countries you chose to visit. If you had bought US$10,000 of Thai Baht at the begining of August you would have got B292,000. If you did not spend it and had to change it back now, you would only get back $9,420 a loss of nearly $600! Put another way US$10,000 now gives you B310,000.

If he bought US$10,000 with Rand at the begining of August it would cost him 66,800Rand, if he did not spend it and change it back now he would get 80,090Rand, a gain of 20%!

If he bought B292,000 at the begining of August it would cost him 66,800Rand and if he changed it back now he would get 74,871Rand a gain of 12.8%, so it would have made sense to use dollars and gain 20% than to use Baht and gain only 12.8%.

Edited by Estrada

There is nothing fishy about this. Alot of African currencies fluctuate in value too much. Many cash exchange places refuse to deal with them. For the same reason the currency of Choice in Zimbabwe, Sudan, Cambodia etc is US Dollars, they are one of a few reliable currencies used in travel. It is not at all uncommon for a South African, Russian, Brazilian, to change his local paper which may or may not be accepted, into Dollars, which he knows will be accepted in any country he travels.

Also it not being his home currency, it is perfectly plausible that he may have even been given one or two high end counterfeits during his transfer. There are plenty of counterfeits out there that are virtually indistinguishable from real bills...unless you have the warnings with the fake serial numbers, like a cash exchange place would have. Scam wise, taking it to the next level, it would not be impossible for the exchange service to have a few fakes tucked under the drawer to swap out when the opportunity to sham a rich guy presents. Just like the vendor selling the Ganjha pipes on Patong always has a dime bag handy to sell you, and a cop buddy handy to signal too. As for the changing of money at the travel agent, it was probably viewed as a convenience provided by a full service travel agency, rather than a fishy move of some sort.

Rule of thumb in any foreign country. Whenever I cash in Gold coins (I always keep a stash for emergencies, and the current gold price has led me to cash them in) or a large sum of money, I always have a local do it for me. It is worth it to drop a couple hundred baht tip to some waiter or hotel maintenance man. Often they will know someplace off the street that give a better exchange rate, and you may make out. Of course the best way is to avoid the situation altogether, take the hit and just use ATM's. Yeah they have the ridiculous charge, but hey...vacations cost money. If you are sweating a 150 baht bank fee, then you probably can't afford to be on Holiday anyway.

You have obviously led a sheltered life, it is very common. Thomas Cook Travel Agency is one of the most famous agencies, they started the whole tour industry arranging the first ever tour excursion of 540 people between Loughborough and Leicester in the UK on the 5th of July 1841. I erected a plaque to commemorate this at Loughborough Station. Last year there were quite a number of cases of even Thomas Cook passing on forged EUROs to holiday makers. My gut feeling is that dodgy staff were swapping good notes for bad as normally all notes are checked on receipt, but not on issue.

It makes very good sense to carry dollars if you are in the habit of travelling to several destinations on a regular basis, especially if you believe the dollar will increase in value against the currencies of the countries you chose to visit. If you had bought US$10,000 of Thai Baht at the begining of August you would have got B292,000. If you did not spend it and had to change it back now, you would only get back $9,420 a loss of nearly $600! Put another way US$10,000 now gives you B310,000.

If he bought US$10,000 with Rand at the begining of August it would cost him 66,800Rand, if he did not spend it and change it back now he would get 80,090Rand, a gain of 20%!

If he bought B292,000 at the begining of August it would cost him 66,800Rand and if he changed it back now he would get 74,871Rand a gain of 12.8%, so it would have made sense to use dollars and gain 20% than to use Baht and gain only 12.8%.

Ah yes, I lead a very sheltered life here in Thailand! As to you other comments, you make a good point as to what I have been saying, if you had read beyond my first post. If he would have used plastic or travelers checks, he would not have had a problem. And your other point is a bit off the point! I have plenty of US dollars, I'm from the US! When I moved here I got 44 Baht to the Dollar. Today it's at 30.97, last month it was 29.80 and lower. So, you may get lucky with you timing and gain a bit or you may lose. And yes, I should have bought gold at $400 an ounce!

There is nothing fishy about this. Alot of African currencies fluctuate in value too much. Many cash exchange places refuse to deal with them. For the same reason the currency of Choice in Zimbabwe, Sudan, Cambodia etc is US Dollars, they are one of a few reliable currencies used in travel. It is not at all uncommon for a South African, Russian, Brazilian, to change his local paper which may or may not be accepted, into Dollars, which he knows will be accepted in any country he travels.

Also it not being his home currency, it is perfectly plausible that he may have even been given one or two high end counterfeits during his transfer. There are plenty of counterfeits out there that are virtually indistinguishable from real bills...unless you have the warnings with the fake serial numbers, like a cash exchange place would have. Scam wise, taking it to the next level, it would not be impossible for the exchange service to have a few fakes tucked under the drawer to swap out when the opportunity to sham a rich guy presents. Just like the vendor selling the Ganjha pipes on Patong always has a dime bag handy to sell you, and a cop buddy handy to signal too. As for the changing of money at the travel agent, it was probably viewed as a convenience provided by a full service travel agency, rather than a fishy move of some sort.

Rule of thumb in any foreign country. Whenever I cash in Gold coins (I always keep a stash for emergencies, and the current gold price has led me to cash them in) or a large sum of money, I always have a local do it for me. It is worth it to drop a couple hundred baht tip to some waiter or hotel maintenance man. Often they will know someplace off the street that give a better exchange rate, and you may make out. Of course the best way is to avoid the situation altogether, take the hit and just use ATM's. Yeah they have the ridiculous charge, but hey...vacations cost money. If you are sweating a 150 baht bank fee, then you probably can't afford to be on Holiday anyway.

I totally agree with your last point about using an ATM! As for the rest it's all about luck and timing...

They were about to check out of their hotel when Sequeira crossed the road to exchange $1 000 (R7 800) at the bank in order to settle his hotel bill.

Every time I have paid in cash for a hotel in Thailand, I needed to pay up front.

Same with me, if you can't give them plastic they want the accommodation charge up front as well as a bond. With good reason. I know it's a generalisation, but people who pay cash for everything usually have something to hide. Does he wander around J'burg with loads of folding?

It's been said here many times already - Credit/Debit Cards, travellers' cheques.

And I have had the exact opposite experiences in Thailand, I have never paid for anything upfront.

Hotel bills, one night or 1 month, pay at the end, always cash.

Car and m/c repair bills, always paid after, always cash.

I know its a generalisation, but people who have to pay cash in advance must look untrustworthy or a bit iffy.

Edited by ludditeman

And I have had the exact opposite experiences in Thailand, I have never paid for anything upfront.

Hotel bills, one night or 1 month, pay at the end, always cash.

I know its a generalisation, but people who have to pay cash in advance must look untrustworthy or a bit iffy.

LMAO -- I don't think you could be more far from reality.

Hotels are business and they want assurance they are going to be paid for the service they provide and they don't go by looks. If there are hotels in Thailand that allow guests to stay for a day, let alone a month, without payment or assurance of payment they are very very few and far between.

Hotels are business and they want assurance they are going to be paid for the service they provide and they don't go by looks. If there are hotels in Thailand that allow guests to stay for a day, let alone a month, without payment or assurance of payment they are very very few and far between.

Bangkok, Trang, Pattaya, Koh Samat, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Korat.

Hotels and guest houses have never asked me for anything in advance (staying 1 night, 1 week, 1 month).

I had thought this was normal practice for all customers in Thailand (never left ID at desk either).

Apparently not, you have found it to be different, which I am going to assume says more about YOU and ME, than about the various hotels business plan.

Edited by ludditeman

Bangkok, Trang, Pattaya, Koh Samat, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Korat.

Hotels and guest houses have never asked me for anything in advance (staying 1 night, 1 week, 1 month).

I had thought this was normal practice for all customers in Thailand (never left ID at desk either).

Apparently not, you have found it to be different, which I am going to assume says more about YOU and ME, than about the various hotels business plan.

I don't think anybody is buying this.