Turning Left On A Red Light...

Chivas

Having spent 2 months driving around Buriram by car, of course I was faced on many occasions with the dilemma of turning left on a red traffic light.

Like most sensible drivers I refused on countless occasions to be met with a barrage of horns lights etc.

In the end I gave up and broke every rule in the book and drove as the locals do. When on a few occasions we were at a junction that had a proper filter left as part of the lights I explained to the wife that this was the only occasion it should be done.

Which begs the question that should an accident take place by going through a red light in this way who's at fault ??

For the purpose of the question assume the two car drivers were both Thais otherwise we all know who's fault it would automatically become !

Hi, Been driving here for 20 years and I find that if there is no dedicated light for a left turn at a traffic signal and there is no one coming and it's safe to do so, I go ahead and make the left turn. The only time I do not make a left turn at an intersection on a red light is if there is a sign telling me "I can not turn left on red."If your sitting at the front of the line at an intersection and waiting to turn left and there is no "dedicated left turn light" and "no sign" telling you not to turn, you can surely expect the people behind you to lay on the horn.

let me add that if there is "no dedicated left turn light", but there is a sign saying "Do not turn left on red", most people will turn left anyway. Not saying this is right, but I have always found it best to base my driving on the style of driving here as opposed to insisting on following the rules you think may or may not apply, when it comes to minor things like this. It's just something your going to have to work out for yourself at the end of the day, isn't it? Good luck!

Edited by hedonist44

The question of whether you are allowed to turn left on red was discussed here:

Now with regards to the accident, the following rules apply:

Theory: The Thai driver who turned left on red is guilty, as the red light indicates a warning to watch the traffic coming from right, as they have green lights and therefore have the right of way.

Reality: The Thai driver who knows somebody higher up the food chain than the other Thai driver will NOT be guilty :jap:

Simple as everything in Thailand :whistling:

Turning left (or right) on a red light is standard practice in quite a few places around the world. Intersections where you are allowed to do it here are usually marked with a small sign, normally only in Thai. Some are also marked as not being allowed to do it, so It can be confusing if you can't read Thai.

Edited by madjbs

Yes, you can turn left at red as long as it does not interrupt oncoming traffic.

It was on my driving license exam.

Once I overtook 20 bikes waiting to turn left at red.

In the front there was a police bike turning right.

I overtook them all without the police even glanced at me. :lol:

the law is whatever the officer says it is and youd better learn that darned quick :o

Not if you know the officers boss... :whistling:

How many times have I heard that...cheesy.gif

Ah that old chestnut, every bar with more than half a dozen people in will have one person that claims to either know top of police or his wife does...

According to most "Western" traffic laws, the vehicle traveling through the green light always has the right of way. A turn on a red whether it be a left turn or a right turn as in my country is a yielded turn only to be made if it is clear and safe to make. This is also Thai law I have been informed. Unless, of course, there's a Mercedes involved ......

Yes, you can turn left at red as long as it does not interrupt oncoming traffic.

So that was you !

You are allowed to turn left at any red light as long as it does not present a danger to cross traffic and there is no sign specifically forbidding it.

Thais often like to extend this to going straight through the red on 3 way intersections as long as you are in the left lane. They just treat it as if it were a left turn, but one of 180 degrees instead of 90. Imminently logical actually. There is nothing in the law which says that a left turn must be 90 degrees.

So the OP gave incorrect information to his wife. He will continue to get honks and swear words from other drivers as long as he continues his current driving behavior. In Thailand it is always allowed unless it is specifically posted that a left turn on red is forbidden.

You are allowed to turn left at any red light as long as it does not present a danger to cross traffic and there is no sign specifically forbidding it.

Thais often like to extend this to going straight through the red on 3 way intersections as long as you are in the left lane. They just treat it as if it were a left turn, but one of 180 degrees instead of 90. Imminently logical actually. There is nothing in the law which says that a left turn must be 90 degrees.

So the OP gave incorrect information to his wife. He will continue to get honks and swear words from other drivers as long as he continues his current driving behavior. In Thailand it is always allowed unless it is specifically posted that a left turn on red is forbidden.

Yea, the color red seems to be a problem for the Thai's. As just today and 2 more times in the past 2 weeks I almost witnessed 3 separate deaths from people running the reds. It doesn't take long for a person to learn when the light turns green, or the counter ticks down to zero, to look both ways before you take off. Seems to be a major cause of traffic deaths in this Country.

Like most sensible drivers I refused on countless occasions to be met with a barrage of horns lights etc.

Sensible drivers will learn the local traffic laws before going on the road. The law is that it is ok to do it if you give way to traffic from the right. And why not believe your wife if she is a local?

Which begs the question that should an accident take place by going through a red light in this way who's at fault ??

The person turning left is always at fault.

For the purpose of the question assume the two car drivers were both Thais otherwise we all know who's fault it would automatically become !

Nonsense, this is not automatic - I've been in a few accidents(not my fault and always got a fair result).

However, if you are gullible.....

I've come to the conclusion,when in Rome.I now have no scruples about,riding on the pavement,up the wrong side of the road,making U-turns at the first available break in the reservation barrier or cutting other drivers up.Basically

anything it takes so that I don't have to stop for more than 30 seconds.;) .PS I ride a scooter and wouldn't recommend some of these antics in a car.

i just did it on my bike yesterday and got a ticket.. they were no cars coming.

Pretty sure ok to turn left rule is in Thai highway code. Never had a problem, though I do hang back at those big junctions with a separate small light lower down. Don't the Yanks have a turn right rule at lights?

Pretty sure ok to turn left rule is in Thai highway code. Never had a problem, though I do hang back at those big junctions with a separate small light lower down. Don't the Yanks have a turn right rule at lights?

Yes, they do.

At least in Minnesota where I went to collage.

Yes, they do.

At least in Minnesota where I went to collage.

I assume you were studying art not English?

Yea, the color red seems to be a problem for the Thai's. As just today and 2 more times in the past 2 weeks I almost witnessed 3 separate deaths from people running the reds. It doesn't take long for a person to learn when the light turns green, or the counter ticks down to zero, to look both ways before you take off. Seems to be a major cause of traffic deaths in this Country.

I witness the same near death scenarios daily in Pattaya entering Sukhumvit from Khao Chee Chan T-intersection.

The straight through on red is only when there are 3 or more lanes and where it is signposted as OK to do.

Buses in particular drive straight through the red light at speed when there is traffic already turning from their right.

Last night an idiot in a pickup in the outer lane (of 2) overtook cars already stopped at the lights, giong through at high speed and almost creaming the 2 motocy turning in front of me.

Edit: even motocy go through the red at speed when there are cars turning already from their right.

Edited by PattayaParent

Sensible drivers will learn the local traffic laws before going on the road. The law is that it is ok to do it if you give way to traffic from the right. And why not believe your wife if she is a local?

Nonsense, this is not automatic - I've been in a few accidents(not my fault and always got a fair result).

However, if you are gullible.....

The OP was a general statement of enquiry and was meant to clarify for me and any other interested parties what the position is.

It was not a invitation for implied abuse !

AFWIW I passed in 1986 my Advanced Driving test so guillible I aint.

Edited by Chivas

i do as all drivers do in cnx and filter left on red light,was in chiang rai,and policeman waiting around corner done me for filtering left on red (200bht),2 hour later still in c/rai stopped at red instead of of filtering left,and policeman on motor bike shouted at me to go???????TIT.

i do as all drivers do in cnx and filter left on red light,was in chiang rai,and policeman waiting around corner done me for filtering left on red (200bht),2 hour later still in c/rai stopped at red instead of of filtering left,and policeman on motor bike shouted at me to go???????TIT.

Judging by what one or two have posted it appears there can be a sign in Thai giving permission or otherwise to filter left-guess maybe thats why you were collared.

Not necessarily. I was once involved in an accident in CM where a vehicle made a left at a signal as I was passing through on a green light. I was able to swerve but still got nailed on the side. What finally decided the police in my favor was the front of the other vehicle was damaged and mine on the side indicating it ran into me. Had I not swerved I could just as easily had the front end damage and been placed at fault for running into the other vehicle.

I remember several years ago I almost got divorced for turning left on a red light. It was onto a one way street which was going in that direction and there was no cross traffic. My wife who was mad at me about something else, I'm not sure what, took that opportunity to tell me that i was a horrible driver and because I didn't know that one can't turn left at a red light that just went to show how much else i don't know. It's kind of funny now.

Edited by lannarebirth

I remember several years ago I almost got divorced for turning left on a red light. It was onto a one way street which was going in that direction and there was no cross traffic. My wife who was mad at me about something else, I'm not sure what, took that opportunity to tell me that i was a horrible driver and because I didn't know that one can't turn left at a red light that just went to show how much else i don't know. It's kind of funny now.

again as i said earlier. In that exact same situation i received a ticket 2 days ago. (which i wont pay since i have red plates and they didnt take any id number)