Medvedev defends decision not to run for re-election, says Putin is more popular

News_Editor

Medvedev defends decision not to run for re-election, says Putin is more popular

2011-09-30 21:32:15 GMT+7 (ICT)

MOSCOW (BNO NEWS) -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Friday defended his decision not to run for re-election next year, saying Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is the 'most prominent' politician and it would make no sense running against someone of the same political party.

Putin announced during the United Russia party congress last Saturday that he will participate in next year's presidential elections for a third term as president while Medvedev would then be appointed as prime minister, effectively exchanging positions. The move had been widely expected for years but neither politician ever confirmed the plan.

On Friday, Medvedev was interviewed by several journalists who asked about the motive behind his decision as presidents usually run for re-election. "My biggest ambition is to be of use to my country and people," the president said. "I know this might sound rather high-flown, but it is the honest truth."

Medvedev explained that both he and Putin want to serve their country and both represent the same political force, United Russia. "So, if you look at things from this point of view, what reason could we have to compete against each other? What reason could we have to quarrel and argue with each other?"

The Russian leader compared his decision to the election process in other countries such as the United States where political parties elect one person to run for president. "Can you imagine a situation where Barack Obama, say, starts competing against Hillary Clinton? They both sought nomination as their party's candidate for president. This kind of rivalry just wouldn't be possible. They represent the same party, the Democratic Party, and their decisions were based on which candidate they thought would bring the best result. We made our decision in this same manner."

Medvedev added that he is pleased to see his public approval ratings remain high but that Putin's ratings are slightly higher. "I am aware that Prime Minister Putin is incontestably the politician with the most prominent standing in our country at the moment, and his rating is a bit higher than mine," he said. "Everyone seems to miss this point for some reason, and yet these are very practical and important considerations that any politician must take into account if he wants to be of real use to his country and not just shove and jostle for power at the top."

He added: "People often seem to be just waiting for us to fall out at some point and start actively challenging each other on the political stage. I often hear such things from the opposition and from some political analysts, in any case. But let me tell you that this will not happen. We want to achieve political goals, win the parliamentary election in December, and the presidential election next March, and not satisfy our own ambitions. Again, I stress the point that for a responsible person the biggest ambition is to be of service to their country."

When Medvedev and Putin announced their decision last week, foreign media gave the impression that Putin was certain to become president, but the Russian leader rejected this. "I think that this kind of logic is totally irresponsible, manipulative, and even provocative. The election campaign is only just beginning," he said.

Medvedev said the election campaign is only the beginning and that it is possible that he and Putin will not win the elections. "After all, the decision of the congress is just the party's recommendation to support these two candidates in the elections, but it is the voters who make the ultimate choice," he said. "These are not empty words; this is the reality. Any party and any politician can fail in the elections. We have seen numerous such examples in our country's history and that of other countries. No one is guaranteed against defeat in elections. So how can we say that everything has already been decided?"

Russia's president went on to reject accusations that the elections are a sham as politicians such as Gennady Zyuganov, Vladimir Zhirinovsky and Sergei Mironov will participate. "Their parties will take part in the parliamentary election, and they have presidential ambitions too. It is for the voters to decide which figure will be best for the country. Only the voters, only our people have the power to make the final choice by giving or not giving their support to this or that party or politician. This is what democracy is all about," he said.

Asked about the upcoming election campaign, Medvedev said he will continue to do his job and will not be taking any holidays. "People can judge the president and government's work by their actions. If they think the country is developing as it should and we are doing the right thing, they will vote accordingly," he said. "If they think we are not following the right course, they will vote for someone else. This too is democracy. Of course I will carry out my responsibilities. And yes, I think the campaign will be intense and the battles will be fierce."

Putin first became acting president in December 1999 until he was elected for his first full term which began in May 2000. He won re-election in March 2004 and continued to serve in the country's highest office until May 2008 when term limits prevented him from running for a third consecutive presidential term.

Days before the end of Putin's second term as president he undertook a series of controversial steps to increase the power of the prime minister. Medvedev had been widely expected to serve only one term so Putin could again become president after a short break.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-09-30