Ankle Fusion Or Replacement

pauleddy

A friend has asked me to make enquiries re these procedures. She has terrible OA in one ankle from old trauma, and is developing OA in the other one as compensation for using it 'more' (and being a large lady).

I have a medical/nursing background and I have explained to her that fusion has been the 'gold' standard for 50 years, although she will be on the sofa/crutches pretty much for 3 months and be stiff forever. Unlike hip and knee replacement, artificial ankle joints are still being worked on, although I have heard good reports about the Pappas joint being developed by Fred Pappas MD in the USA, and another in Holland.

However, there are about 8 different experimental ankle replacements (at least), because the ankle action (flexion, extension etc etc) and amazing weight-bearing function (like 100kg divided by 2 supported by talus/calceneum each no wider than a silver dollar!)are virtually impossible to mimic. Poor ankles, they work so dam_n hard!

My friend has been offered a fusion by several general ortho (bone) surgeons, very good guys, even one at BNH, but not ankle guys. Fusion is screwing or nailing the bones together at the correct angles--you may be hobbling pain free for 10-15 years but there are long term side effects possible.

She wants to consider all possibilities. Unfortunately, she is getting past the stage where (even) Arcoxia or other Cox-2 inhib or other OA drugs are any good..ditto shoes and splints and all the traditional stuff. So, I cannot advise more. I have run out of steam. We need an ankle guy/gal.

Does anybody know of any 'real' ankle surgeons in BKK? Anyone had ankle surgery? Replacement?

Useful leads could help a lot. Thanks. (yes, I will google too!)

Eddy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Smokie.

She is 56 and overweight, but still active. A stick on bad days.

Similarly, I have never heard of replacement as a frequent procedure in UK...but I have been out of the UK 10 years.

If anyone knows of a real ankle surgeon in BKK--someone who could advise re. options, please let me know ASAP. There are at least 20 Orthopaedic surgeons who would pin/screw/fixate the ankle (fusion). To a trained guy, it is maybe even less difficult than a hip replacement. But, there are people who have trained in special ankle surgery (in some countries).

Laparoscopic fusion may be a possibility. The recovery time is much less, I would hope. I am not sure if anyone in BKK does replacement. It's not common anywhere. A plastic functioning ankle is still 60% science fiction, but some people are having them put in in the USA.

Eddy

• 1 month later...

I have never used the following doctor, but from research I did a few months ago, the following doctor appears to have the best resume for any ankle surgery. He has a clinic at Mahidol University, but does see patients one day a week at Bumrungrad.

Name:Dr. Bavornrit Chuckpaiwong

Specialty:

Orthopaedics (Bone) - Orthopaedics (Bone), Sport Injuries

Orthopaedics (Bone) - Orthopaedics (Bone), Foot & Ankle Surgery

Language Spoken:

Spoken: English, Thai

Qualifications:

Medical School:

- M.D., Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Thailand, 1998

Board Certifications:

- Diploma of The Thai Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2002

- Diploma of The Thai Board of Family Medicine, 2003

Fellowships:

- Foot and Ankle, Havard University, USA, 2005

- Foot and Ankle, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, USA, 2007

Special Clinical Trainings:

- Trauma & Reconstruction, Catania University, Italy

Special Clinical Interests:

- Foot and Ankle Surgery

- Sports Injury

DayTimeLocationSat13:00 - 17:00NS 12A (Orthop/Physical Med)

Pauleddy did you get any information regarding an ankle fusion ? I'm in need of both ankles being treated and would appreciate any info.

Bangkok is too far away to consider going there, after thinking about it. I'm having mine done at Fort Suranaree Military Hospital in Korat. Both ankles will cost me total 50-60,000 Baht.