Plan To Restore Pattaya Beach

webfact

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I do the math I calculate 32 years: 35 m minus 10 m minus 1 m equals 24 m after 2 years. Then divide 24 by .8 and you arrive at another 30 years.

By the way, in the Netherlands they stopped adding sand to the beach. Instead they take sand from farther out at sea and deposit it a strategic position just offshore. Wind and currents will then do the beach sand replenishment.

But hey, what do the dutch know about things like that, sure the Thais wil do it much better ;)

Sand is mobile stuff. If you want the beach to look like it did in 1952, you need to look at what has been changed since then which may have altered the wave and current patterns, and then remove the alteration.

No, no Thai sand different - not same farang sand.

Pattaya is the hub of beach restoration, all Asia!

Indeed breakwaters/groynes is the way to delay long shore drift.

There is the opportunity to improve the environment - I doubt it will happen, the money like the sand will be washed away.

The idea is nice... but people who want to be on the beach will go to Jomtien beach... I spend all my time there, it is more quiet, much less coconut tree girls, less scammers... and more friendly owners of beach chairs... best place I found for me is around Jomtien Soi 9 - <snip>

But now Ban Sarey beach (South of Jomtien) is the place to be: nice sandy beach and still more quiet than the Jomtien beach. For sure there is something behind this plan: a hidden agenda. If reclamation will be done the way they reclaimed the Suvarnabhumi airport, then we know where the money will go. Just see to whom belongs the sand... and who will transport it (by truck or hydraulically).

Although this sounds completely insane, there is underlying reason - namely a B387 million fund to plunder.

Consider an analogy - you have serious cut on your leg. Do you arrange for continuous blood transfusions or stitches?

Sand is mobile stuff. If you want the beach to look like it did in 1952, you need to look at what has been changed since then which may have altered the wave and current patterns, and then remove the alteration. Or, construct breakwaters/groynes to slow the movement of sand so that the amount eroded is less than that arriving. But that is a one-off cost, much less amenble to long term pilferage.

Totally agree with this comment. There have been numerous attempts to remedy similar situations around Oz, it usually has simply moved the problem to some other area of the nearby coast line.

Not an easy task and given example of other public works in Pattaya, doubtful if beneficial results are likely.

When I do the math I calculate 32 years: 35 m minus 10 m minus 1 m equals 24 m after 2 years. Then divide 24 by .8 and you arrive at another 30 years.

By the way, in the Netherlands they stopped adding sand to the beach. Instead they take sand from farther out at sea and deposit it a strategic position just offshore. Wind and currents will then do the beach sand replenishment.

The Hollanders may have invented Heineken :bah::bah::bah: (still not sure if this is beer cause I clean my car with this excellent stuff), but not the hot water. Don't compare the North sea with the Gulf of Thailand... because that is there where the surprise starts! :(

"Thanawat said his team had done a chemical analysis to ensure that the sand from the river mouth was not contaminated by any chemical substances that could harm people."

Darn,...

So, if you want to get 3rd degree Chemical burns on your skin, you will still have to stand up and walk into the water right?

how about cleaning up all immoral stuff. I can't recognise how it was only 15 years ago. Last year I went there in the hope to spend holidays with my family just like we did 15 years ago, I was frighten, scared. It's changed so much, thoght we were somewhere else, not Thailand! :bah:

haha, you for real? you are telling me that Pattaya was a family resort 15 years ago?

I read where they would get the sand from an estuary at Rayong. I wondered what ecological effect would it have on its sea life and mangrove(? if there is any) in the area. I am not an expert, but it seems they need to go out in the bay and drudge up the sand in the shallow bay (from the erosion of the beach) and place it back to its original place. That is done in other countries. I think you need to make the bay more deeper. Oh well, at least they're doing something... (will it take another 5 years to get approval?)

Although this sounds completely insane, there is underlying reason - namely a B387 million fund to plunder.

Sand is mobile stuff. If you want the beach to look like it did in 1952, you need to look at what has been changed since then... <snip>

So the only viable solution is to bulldoze the entire town.....Sounds like a reasonable option.

I read where they would get the sand from an estuary at Rayong. I wondered what ecological effect would it have on its sea life and mangrove(? if there is any) in the area. I am not an expert, but it seems they need to go out in the bay and drudge up the sand in the shallow bay (from the erosion of the beach) and place it back to its original place. That is done in other countries. I think you need to make the bay more deeper. Oh well, at least they're doing something... (will it take another 5 years to get approval?)

Visiting a friend in Phala, Ban Chang, a few weeks ago went down to Phayoon beach, most of the beach has diasappeared,general story is that the sand has gone to replace to stuff taken from the beach areas near Rayong. Locals reckon it has changed a lot of the current flows in the area.

how about cleaning up all immoral stuff. I can't recognise how it was only 15 years ago. Last year I went there in the hope to spend holidays with my family just like we did 15 years ago, I was frighten, scared. It's changed so much, thoght we were somewhere else, not Thailand! :bah:

There is no Immoral stuff going on at the Beach? If so I am not sure what you are meaning. The beach is fine for everybody & if they achieve success they will have more opportunities at hand. B) chock dee โชคดีนะ

I can only imagine it's a mistranslation, and should read every 10 - 14 years.

1014 years makes no sense whatsoever, and 10 - 14 sounds like a reasonable assumption. I don't think they'll wait until the beach hits 0 before adding sand.

Hopefully, after they're done filling in sand they'll continue studying sand erosion and come up with solutions for that.

Now - what they really need to do is clean the water. Clean water in Thailand is disappearing fast, and beach resorts without clean sea are just not very attractive to westerners. I know, there's more tourists coming from Asia in the future and if they're like Thais they won't want to swim in the ocean all that much anyway. But still. They need to clean that up. The water in Samui is so dirty it's a safety hazard. Ditto for Hua Hin. Pattaya probably not much better, given its location.

My brother recently sent me his vacation pictures from Croatia. Couldn't believe my eyes, the water there is crystal clear... to get the same in Thailand you have to go to a remote island. From personal experience, only Koh Kood was comparable...

I wonder how thorough they've been

firstly the demographics of Pattaya are completely different from 60 years ago

Secondly I wonder if they have fully integrated this with the overall environmental forces of the Gulf

If annoy their other "great schemes" are to go by one would think that is very doubtful - do you remember the great barrier around Bkk?

Edited by cowslip

well grit doesnt wash away as much as sand might...

as for it actually eroding - or the professors/team just trying to milk the new government for a job that will cost millions (but realistically just a few trucks of sand dumped and the rest put in the pockets of the new scammers... the build a new beach scam has arrived)

QUOTE: WE WILL have to add sand again every 1014 years

LOL - would you trust anyone who comments a line like that?

It's obviously a typo and should read every 10-14 years. Don't you think? Making a joke out of it just makes you look foolish.

Regardless of the fact Pattaya beach/water is about as inviting and a Brixton Ragga club its just basic long shore drift that's causing the problem.

As said earlier run a series of Groynes in and not only does the sand drift stop it would if run far enough out actually stop a lot of boating/jet ski accidents.

But then I didn't spend years thinking about it like these university researchers. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

<snip>

My brother recently sent me his vacation pictures from Croatia. Couldn't believe my eyes, the water there is crystal clear... to get the same in Thailand you have to go to a remote island. From personal experience, only Koh Kood was comparable...

Croatia has beautiful water...but it's dam_n cold! Just south in Albania, a few years ago swimmers were getting a serious rash from all the pollution being dumped into the sea. But the water still looked beautiful.

Unfortunately, we are in a gulf, and the runoff's going to make the water a bit murky. Of course all the other stuff running into the sea doesn't help much! :(

Wow - so they will cover up all the - bottle tops - plastic rings - condoms - broken glass - straws - cans - metal spikes - wood with nails - etc.... - that's a good start - Hmmmmmmm - will they figure out this time how the tourist might want a clean beach and maintain it - Hmmmmm - nahh!!! - that will never happen - what i do hear is the sucking sound of all the money being sucked out of the billions of baht by corrupt handlers from the top of the pyramid to the bottom - truck loads of sand dumped in place and little done after being spread about - sand all over beach road - all the new concrete tile work that has just barely been completed torn to heck and buckled - collateral damages like broken water pipes - traffic situations out of control with trucks blocking beach road - generally messy conditions that will send the tourists elsewhere.

Agree. The only time I went to Pattaya, I was totally ashamed to be a farang, utterly disgusted at the state of the shirtless tattooed morons littering the beach, drinking Chang in the sun, and the girls, giving my wife the evil eye. Never again.

Never mind the war on drugs, how about a war on Pattaya; cleaning it up!

Oh my God!! Tattooed people with their shirts off, and they were drinking beer--on the beach!!! :lol::lol:

You brought your wife to an adult playground, and no one played by your rules. :D

Poor baby. B)

Com-On guys - that's spot on - if you have ever visited Pattaya once you will know its not the place to take your family - what were you thinking ? - Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee