Plan To Restore Pattaya Beach

webfact

Lets be honest.

They want to add to the beach so local authorities can rent it out to vendors.

So that will mean more jetski operators and scams. You may be right but over scamming is like over fishing the stocks will run out.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah - SAND! - for one minute I thought they were going to restart the war with Vietnam .

I was thinking along the same lines like pre vietnam before all the troops arrived for R&R in the sleepy little fishing hamlet and turned into one big red light district.

how about cleaning up all immoral stuff. I can't recognise how it was only 15 years ago. Last year I went there in the hope to spend holidays with my family just like we did 15 years ago, I was frighten, scared. It's changed so much, thoght we were somewhere else, not Thailand! :bah:

Huh! Think you're talking about some other place. In 1996 Pattaya was almost exactly the same between Naklua and South Rd. Can't remember if Walking St started then or '97. The only difference is the addition of Avenue and the horrid hotel next to it, Central Festival and a few rather insignificant new buildings. Of course there are many different bars etc, but overall, the same place.

And what immoral stuff would that be anyway? Must be the only person that doesn't know what Pattaya is, LOL.

Lets be honest.

They want to add to the beach so local authorities can rent it out to vendors.

So that will mean more jetski operators and scams. You may be right but over scamming is like over fishing the stocks will run out.

.....and in a few years time when more errosion has taken place, some unsuspecting punter will run a jetski into the buried buffer -- I can see history repeating itself with the scammers rubbing their hands together

Regardless of the fact Pattaya beach/water is about as inviting and a Brixton Ragga club its just basic long shore drift that's causing the problem.

As said earlier run a series of Groynes in and not only does the sand drift stop it would if run far enough out actually stop a lot of boating/jet ski accidents.

But then I didn't spend years thinking about it like these university researchers. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Groynes don't usually work.

Unfortunately it is seldom a thing like "simple" long shore drift.

Not only do you have to contend with tide and wind the water emitted by the various factories and cities around the Gulf will have changed the ocean permanently. (Groynes in UK often caused more problems than they solved)

One problem it that any artificial interference can change currents etc and the next thing you know is that raw sewage pumped from miles away Cambodia even) is getting washed up on the already polluted Pattaya beaches. Pollution doesn't just come from the immediate vicinity it can swill around the gulf for ages before it gets washed up

Although this sounds completely insane, there is underlying reason - namely a B387 million fund to plunder.

Consider an analogy - you have serious cut on your leg. Do you arrange for continuous blood transfusions or stitches?

Sand is mobile stuff. If you want the beach to look like it did in 1952, you need to look at what has been changed since then which may have altered the wave and current patterns, and then remove the alteration. Or, construct breakwaters/groynes to slow the movement of sand so that the amount eroded is less than that arriving. But that is a one-off cost, much less amenble to long term pilferage.

Groynes have been built in Europe for centuries.

That cannot be the right solution.

When I do the math I calculate 32 years: 35 m minus 10 m minus 1 m equals 24 m after 2 years. Then divide 24 by .8 and you arrive at another 30 years.

By the way, in the Netherlands they stopped adding sand to the beach. Instead they take sand from farther out at sea and deposit it a strategic position just offshore. Wind and currents will then do the beach sand replenishment.

Finally after 22 ring around the rosy treads some one with brains.

Yes in Holland they had this erosion figured out long ago. As a matter of fact a couple nights ago I did see the documentary on True Vision satellite TV.

Ever looked at Palm Island the Dutch build in the Golf of Arabia for Dubai? They for sure didn't contracted Thai engineers and technical personnel to do the job.

A century ago King Rama V brought a Dutch hydraulics engineer to Thailand to design water control. While doing his research he discovered the biggest rip-off, results of which are still there today 2011, in the Rangsit area.

He was send home because he had detailed how Thailand was being taken to the cleaners.

LOL in LOS.

Edited by swerver

Where do Thai professors learn mathematics ?

Where do they buy their crystal balls from from ?

And when / where / who compiles (accurate figures) of the city Revenue ?

On the other hand if it goes ahead they are to be commended for what ever efforts they make to improve the beach front.

As posted already - Jomtien is the better beach area and its twice as long and many more yards wider.

My first time in Pattaya was 30 years ago. And Jomtien was much better than Pattaya beach then too (and of course much nicer than it is now -- virtually no development at all!)

369,035 cubic metres of sand is a weirdly specific number. I'll bet that if you checked you would find that this is an Auspicious Number chosen by an astrologer. An important detail missing from this cunning plan is how they plan to move 369,035 m3 of sand from Rayong to Pattaya. A big lorry carries about 10m3, so that would be 37,000 lorry trips. If you use barges, how do you get the sand from the barge in to the beach? If they just want a permanent beach they'd be better off making a super-sized version of the beach volleyball pitch on Jomtien beach, with a sea wall retaining an area of sand permanently above sea level.

The history of messing around with beaches and coastal erosion patterns is littered with examples of the law of unintended consequences. I also wonder what would become of the 369,035 m3 hole in the beach at Rayong.

They could try a pipe-line to transport the sand (mixed with water).

This technique has been used in Belgium on several occasions.

how about cleaning up all immoral stuff. I can't recognise how it was only 15 years ago. Last year I went there in the hope to spend holidays with my family just like we did 15 years ago, I was frighten, scared. It's changed so much, thoght we were somewhere else, not Thailand! :bah:

And where did you take your family? Walking Street, Soi 6 or? Did you really expect a beach place, whereever it is, to be the same as it was 15 years ago? Maybe you should have done some research before you decided where to go. But there are nice places to go with family in Pattaya.

I could think of way cheaper easier ways to improve the beach, such as getting rid of all those awful chairs and umbrellas. Or at least put tasteful chairs and umbrellas on the beach. Farangs simply dont want to sit side by side in deck chairs under umbrellas anyway! How about some funky beach bars? Get rid of the jet skis. Move the speedboats farther up the beach away from the beach swimming areas.

Not rocket science.

Considering that 60 years ago Beach Rd was the beach ( as I have been led to understand ), the headline is completely erroneous.

You are correct about that,so in fact to make a 35 meter beach as shown in their illustration they will have to make the beach higher than the road.

Groynes are probably not the answer - in europe they have created all sorts of problems and in some places they are being or have been removed. No coastline is static.

The problem with sand is that if it is washed away.......it goes somewhere else (and comes from somewhere else too for that matter so there is always a knock on and off effect - this was not understood in Europe centuries ago - as said above the Dutch have learned a lot by painful experience. But they were reclaiming land from the sea in different circumstances - just constructing a beach and refilling it won't solve a problem so much as create two more - one in the source and the other where the sand gets washed to.

I would guess the easiest way to save the beach would be to put in a proper sewage system and a massive treatment plant and then control where when and how the waste wear is released.

Edited by cowslip

It might be possible to bring back the original beach if fresh water were to be channeled back to where it was originally flowing, then salt tolerant plants were to be grown where the fresh water would water them, then venters would not cut down the plants/trees to make room for more chairs, maybe some jetties to prevent the sand from washing away? Not likely to happen. Just dumping sediment is easier, but will probably just was away soon.whistling.gif

And where did you take your family? Walking Street, Soi 6 or? Did you really expect a beach place, whereever it is, to be the same as it was 15 years ago? Maybe you should have done some research before you decided where to go. But there are nice places to go with family in Pattaya.

:cheesy: Where? Are there kiddie friendly bars offering pole dancing classes? Do the bargirls give the kids little showbags full of gadgets and nicknacs? Pattaya is well known world wide for what it is and it is not families who flock there for entertainment. It is definately not a family friendly place and throwing a little bit of sand down to make a beach is not going to change the place.

LOL Nothing different to what was occuring 15 years ago.

Would be great to restore the beach as much as possible-older members will remember the thatched umbrellas ??

"Rayong river mouth" So its going to be a mud bath, because the river mouth area is mainly fine silt (MUD)!!! why not dredge the many sand bars in the area that actually contain the same sand that has been eroded away?

Where do they find there so called experts?

Would be great to restore the beach as much as possible-older members will remember the thatched umbrellas ??

"how about cleaning up all immoral stuff." - oh dear! how sad.

Seeing as Pattaya's is founded on brotherly I think someone is flogging a dead horse.

What on earth was the posts looking at 15 years ago? did (s)he not know what (s)he was looking at then?

It is realistic, I have been involved similar in BC Canada with reasonable success using the under toe shown but also offshore underwater breakwaters to slow wave action. No matter what man makes, the ocean can move it, always plan for that. The advantage to underwater breaks is also increased fish habitat and slowing erosion of the beach.

The idea is nice... but people who want to be on the beach will go to Jomtien beach... I spend all my time there, it is more quiet, much less coconut tree girls, less scammers... and more friendly owners of beach chairs... best place I found for me is around Jomtien Soi 9 - <snip>

this is good , same time they at it, make some island outside there where people can take sun and enjoy also . if Dubai done it, then the Thais can get it done also..

Yeah them huge ones, everyone huddled round them, friendly they were, looked good especially Jomptien, different to the zombie set up now. We used to drive the beach buggie on the sand as near as poss to them.

I was at Jomptien today way south beach and looked down 400 meters of beach and saw a FEW people, just to give you an Idea how things have changed, we sat down and 3 sort of (eastern block) people came and asked the lady if the deck chairs were free, she said sorry no, so they left angry, they had even bought 3 large chang beers with them from 7-11. they sat on the sand on their towels. there are more people like this around now.

I noticed more Thais doing this, coming in suv-pick-ups with mega speakers, must have money but no chairs and they go into the sea with the jeans and shirts that they came in.

It's Jomptien that has changed NOT pattaya. Just to add in Jomptien has anyone noticed there is not (I think) a shop that sells mobile phones. unbelievable, in our town in the north every other shop has them. Are they banned from opening in Jomptien ??????

Agree. The only time I went to Pattaya, I was totally ashamed to be a farang, utterly disgusted at the state of the shirtless tattooed morons littering the beach, drinking Chang in the sun, and the girls, giving my wife the evil eye. Never again.

Never mind the war on drugs, how about a war on Pattaya; cleaning it up!

Did you not do any research telling you what Pattaya was really about??? Never thought drinking beer in the sun was a particularly immoral act........but I will say it can be unsightly!

369,035 cubic metres of sand is a weirdly specific number. I'll bet that if you checked you would find that this is an Auspicious Number chosen by an astrologer. An important detail missing from this cunning plan is how they plan to move 369,035 m3 of sand from Rayong to Pattaya. A big lorry carries about 10m3, so that would be 37,000 lorry trips. If you use barges, how do you get the sand from the barge in to the beach? If they just want a permanent beach they'd be better off making a super-sized version of the beach volleyball pitch on Jomtien beach, with a sea wall retaining an area of sand permanently above sea level.

The history of messing around with beaches and coastal erosion patterns is littered with examples of the law of unintended consequences. I also wonder what would become of the 369,035 m3 hole in the beach at Rayong.

They could try a pipe-line to transport the sand (mixed with water).

This technique has been used in Belgium on several occasions.

The pipeline method was used in England to build up the ground for the UK terminal of the Channel Tunnel at Folkestone. It's only good for relatively short distances of say a few miles. Rayong to Pattaya would be way too far. It would be useful though if there was a suitable sand bank not too far out from Pattaya beach that could be dredged and then pumped ashore.