4x4 Trips

guy_braverman

I'd love to take my new Fortuner of roading, but I'm scared I'll break it.  :o  :D

Used to take my (unmodified) Pajero off road in Malaysia ....... no problems at all. hese cars are built tough, and you're only likely to break it if you go for some really serious stuff. The Pajero survived thse pics with no problems.

The simplest and most effective mod is some decent tyres.

Looking to get a Hilux in the new year ........ then its play time, so I'm up for it as well.

post-21025-1131585246_thumb.jpg

post-21025-1131585100_thumb.jpg

post-21025-1131585301_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't mind buying a dodgy Suzy Jeep purely for off roading fun, I'd never take my 1.25 million Baht Fortuner off anything except the dustiest of tracks.

That's a cool looking jeep you got there Guy!!!!

As a veteran of Sydney's LandCruser 4WD club (950 vehicles), I can tell you small Suzuki is an incredibly capable vehicle and would go where LandCruisers or Nissan Patrols can't. Mostly due to it's short wheel base and narrow body.

I have a 4x4 tiger and have wanted to do something like this for ages. I am out in Jan for 3 months so would be well up for it if this is in the time frame.I would be prepared to buy some tyres and maybe a winch but would still want it for day use as well.

You can probably fit 31” tires with no lift. A good winch will take you out of almost anything. Locked differentials are also a real good thing to have, especially a selectable locker for the front. Either way, contact me when you are ready to go, I am always up for a weekend out in the bush. Make sure you have decent camping gear.

Only one guy needs to shell out for a winch though then he can charge the rest of us clowns to pull us out as and when needed!

Well, that depends.

I have been on many trails when just some of the rigs had winches and you seem to always get stuck when there’s a mountain on one side, a drop on the other and just enough space for one vehicle to pass.

post-23889-1131720616.jpg

Hi,

Any expats out there going on 4x4 trips?

I have my own Jeep and looking for trip partners.

[email protected]

Hey guys I am with 4wheel parts wholesalers , we have a distributor out there who sells all these things and he might no of some other people as well . My co-worker is going to email silverman with an adress or phone number . If you want to know what we sell take a look at 4wheelparts.com

Hey guys I am with 4wheel parts wholesalers , we have a distributor out there who sells all these things and he might no of some other people as well . My co-worker is going to email silverman with an adress or phone number . If you want to know what we sell take a look at 4wheelparts.com

Who is your distributor?

Does he carry your full catalogue line?

Not wanting to be a spoilsport or small minded but I would have a lot more respect for “Offroading” and it’s enthusiasts if they used purpose built courses – there are several in Thailand – rather than taking their noisy and polluting vehicles into the countryside. You may have a weekends fun driving a convoy of several tons of metal over “mud tracks” but that same “mud track” is essential to locals every day of their lives, and often rendered impassable to them after your visit.

Patrick

You obviously have no clue in regards to both “purpose built courses” or the so called “mud tracks”.

There are no motor-sport purpose built courses in Thailand that are regularly operated and maintained. Every once in a while they construct small trails for specific competition or other events, but these trails are abandoned immediately after the evens are finished.

I can also tell you that in 9 of 10 cases the “mud tracks” we drive our trucks in are kilometers away from any villages and are not regularly used by anyone. In the rare cases we do drive in proximity to villages (usually hill-tribes), we come baring gifts and food and the villagers absolutely love us.

I suggest that in the future you only comment in areas you are familiar with and have all the facts right.

You obviously have no clue in regards to both “purpose built courses” or the so called “mud tracks”.

There are no motor-sport purpose built courses in Thailand that are regularly operated and maintained. Every once in a while they construct small trails for specific competition or other events, but these trails are abandoned immediately after the evens are finished.

I can also tell you that in 9 of 10 cases the “mud tracks” we drive our trucks in are kilometers away from any villages and are not regularly used by anyone. In the rare cases we do drive in proximity to villages (usually hill-tribes), we come baring gifts and food and the villagers absolutely love us.

I suggest that in the future you only comment in areas you are familiar with and have all the facts right.

Dead right Guy - we had the same thing in Malaysia - the photos I posted were across 2 rivers and at least 3 km from the nearest village. The villagers knew us, and our cars, and the kids would come running as we dropped off our regular goodies on the way out after a trip. We never left rubbish behind. The village headman said one day " You are ok, you look after our jungle, but we stop other people going up there!"

Its also surprising how quickly an "impassable mud track" reverts to nature and restores itself if no vehicles use it for a while.

Looking forward to getting out there with you in the New Year.

Dead right Guy - we had the same thing in Malaysia - the photos I posted were across 2 rivers and at least 3 km from the nearest village. The villagers knew us, and our cars, and the kids would come running as we dropped off our regular goodies on the way out after a trip. We never left rubbish behind. The village headman said one day " You are ok, you look after our jungle, but we stop other people going up there!"

Its also surprising how quickly an "impassable mud track" reverts to nature and restores itself if no vehicles use it for a while.

Looking forward to getting out there with you in the New Year.

As I intimated in my original Post I have no wish to start an argument over this subject, however if you claim to be a responsible Offroader then you really should read up more on the problems caused by your chosen hobby; the activity clearly has negative environmental and social impacts, including damage to roads and vegetation cover, plus noise and air pollution that disturb both wildlife and local residents..

It surely does not take a lot of thought to realise the ecological damage caused by a fleet of 4 x 4’s thrashing through a sensitive environment; and it is obvious nonsense to claim that the tracks you follow are unused by local people – who do you imagine made the track in the first place?!

Nor should you attempt to assuage your guilt at the damage caused to the environment by compounding it with the social and economic pollution of giving gifts to the local tribespeople etc. – quite apart from the condescending connotations of “white man bearing gifts” it simply makes them more reliant on outsiders and undermines any culture of self-sufficiency or enterprise which may still exist. It’s also a sad fact that these people are amongst the worst offenders when it comes to damaging the environment in which they live – illegal logging and slash and burn cultivation to name but two – any gratitude they show is simply delight at receiving something for free and has nothing to do with any appreciation they have for you “looking after their jungle”.

Patrick

Hey Patrick, have you been out there or is it all information you read about/heard from others?

Sounds to me you don’t have a clue (“I would have a lot more respect for “Offroading” and it’s enthusiasts if they used purpose built courses – there are several in Thailand”). But I’ll make you an offer, join me and my friends for one trip and we’ll see if I can change your mind, or alternatively you change mine.

• 8 months later...

That could be a fun trip.

I have had several 4wd's in my life, I have done a lot of 4wd'ing but never in a club and never would. I do not like the weekend type of guy that goes off and wreaks the damage mentioned a post or 2 above and moreso does it in packs.

I can see pros and cons of both parties here and while some do look after the environment when they go camping etc, many do not and those going in large convoys are just sad really.

While Guy may be one who does the right thing, as I said many do not and damage is done.

On the other hand single campers or 2 vehicles getting out there and enjoying the bush there is nothing better. It also promotes the environment, by getting into it, people learn to look after it and appreciate it. If nobody went there nobody would care.

The wilderness is also for us to enjoy, we share the planet with the animals, as long as we do it responsibly, after all we are supposedly the only animals on the planet capable of looking after it and destroying it.

I have spent years in the bush and 4wd's were a way of life, cattle properties where driving to work would be considered an adventure by many.

Forgot to mention, 4wd's can and are still resonsible for spreading many feral weeds and animals from affected areas to previously unaffected areas and in simply speeding up the spreads in areas that are already infected.

Edited by Nawtilus

• 6 months later...
Hi,

Any expats out there going on 4x4 trips?

I have my own Jeep and looking for trip partners.

[email protected]

Hi there,

where abouts are you based ? do you have a catalogue? Regards