Does Anyone Use A Kill Switch As A Theft Deterrent ?

paulian

Having been in Law Enforcement and always having been a little paranoid about certain things, I treat my new Suzuki as it were some kind of exotic MotoGP bike, as far as security goes. I have insurance, however, not theft and really cannot afford to replace it at my current income level. So ..... I always, wherever I park use my 1000bt Solo fork lock and if something stationary is around I tie my modified car tow cable through the front wheel and around it and for good measure, at times, I use a disc brake lock. Having a little bit of experience in what we call GTA (grand theft auto) I am aware, especially in Thailand, it is usually not the locks that stop the bike from getting stolen but just the sight of them normally makes the thieves move on to much easier prey. Anyways ... at my first service a couple of months ago I decided to have them install an added measure, a kill switch. Which they wired to some electrical device, looked like some kind of relay on the right side of the bike (under the side panel) and put the switch in the seat compartment. My question is do any of you use this type of deterrent ?

I ask the question because as I was traveling today to the outdoor Zoo in Sir Ratcha in the middle of the boonies my bike just quit at 80 and there I was stuck with no one in sight and not a clue what had happened. My guess was a fuel delivery problem (wrong of course). After finding three of the nicest Thai men I have ever met they took one of their motor bikes and pushed mine 3 km to a Castrol Bike point. It took the mechanic about 5 minutes to diagnose that the switch was bad and that was what caused the bike to quit. Cutting the wires to the switch and hooking them back up to the relay, or whatever, and I was on my way. I think this is a good deterrent but was wondering if any one else uses it and where and what is the best way to install it. Maybe hooking it into a different place on the bike or using a better quality switch although I have only seen the normal low voltage plastic toggle switches used in all car and bike applications. Any advise appreciated.

turn off the fuel line to the engine as well,i read on the forum someones bike nearly got stolen but the thief only drove down the street when the engine stalled ,thief paniced and ran away ,guy found his bike the next morning ,just a half a block down the street :D

A well hidden mini switch is easy to install and place where you can reach very covertly. Wheel lock as better I'd thought, as I was informed, that most bikes stolen here are lifted (literally) and having a big bike (over 150kg) with an immobile wheel is hard to shuffle into a truck. Unless there's enough guys.

You have to measure the current going through the switch to make sure it can handle the current. But if you can find a switch that can handle 20 amps it should hold.

There's a few places it can be installed, cdi/ecu, fuel pump, rectifier,key switch.

A lot of radio shack type switch (toggles etc) will suffer from vibration shock and motorcycles are reknown for their harmonics. Whether it be a screaming 4 cylinder or thumping 2 cylinder. Swtiches do get effected by this, as some fall apart internally with no obvious signs looking from the outside.

31mhvSVzR9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Waterproof Illuminated Double Pole, Double Throw 3 Position On-Off-On Rocker Switch

DPDT On-Off-On

Rated at 30A @ 12VDC, 18A @ 125VAC, 10A @ 250VAC.

Panel Cutout: .82" x 1.44" (I haven't found one with smaller dimensions in this amperage range) :(

Waterproof to IP66 UL,CSA & CE Approved

Note, you don't have to wire up the illumination, as far as I know,

Edited by Garry

A well hidden mini switch is easy to install and place where you can reach very covertly. Wheel lock as better I'd thought, as I was informed, that most bikes stolen here are lifted (literally) and having a big bike (over 150kg) with an immobile wheel is hard to shuffle into a truck. Unless there's enough guys.

I totally agree, sure the switch & relay will deter the (honest thief) but as stated it only took 5 minutes for someone who had never seen tht bike before to bypass it to get it running , disc locks and chains through wheels will probabally stop it getting stolen.

A lot of radio shack type switch (toggles etc) will suffer from vibration shock and motorcycles are reknown for their harmonics. Whether it be a screaming 4 cylinder or thumping 2 cylinder. Swtiches do get effected by this, as some fall apart internally with no obvious signs looking from the outside.

Waterproof Illuminated Double Pole, Double Throw 3 Position On-Off-On Rocker Switch

DPDT On-Off-On

Panel Cutout: .82" x 1.44" (I haven't found one with smaller dimensions in this amperage range) :(

The switch the Honda dealer installed didn't look anything like your image. It was jut a small black rocker switch that looked like a piece of junk and that is probably why it failed so fast. Any idea where I can find a decent switch like you show in the Pattaya area ?

DPDT On-Off-On

The switch the Honda dealer installed didn't look anything like your image. It was jut a small black rocker switch that looked like a piece of junk and that is probably why it failed so fast. Any idea where I can find a decent switch like you show in the Pattaya area ?

No idea unfortunately, this is an Amazon deal DPDT by Gama Electronics

Edit: I meant to add that you could try Radio Shack in Bangkok or buy online

Edited by Garry

You have to measure the current going through the switch to make sure it can handle the current. But if you can find a switch that can handle 20 amps it should hold.

There's a few places it can be installed, cdi/ecu, fuel pump, rectifier,key switch.

I do not know how to measure the current, neither does the Honda dealer that installed it, I suppose, since it failed so soon. Anyways, I will look for a switch tomorrow in an auto parts store I guess, if I can find a store.

In the meantime ..... I was browsing through Lotus today and bought a switch that I thought I would try, maybe. Doesn't say anything about being 20amps though, so maybe it's no good. Is that 20 amps at 12 volts ? This switch I bought must be for a higher voltage because it has no ratings for 12 volts on it. It says, 10A 250VAC, 15A 125 VAC Then under those specs are more specs that say, 15/30A 250V. Wonder if that would work for the small wire going to the coil, which I think is where it was hooked to. It has three terminals on the bottom, so I figure, it must have a light in it.

Edited by paulian

Place a 2 ohm resistor inline with the wire, then measure the voltage across the resistor. Then divide that number by the value of the resistor. (ohms) That is the current (amperage)

Edited by KRS1