Property Tax

Wellington

I have looked through past threads on this subject and seems they were active in 2009, and I cannot find any more up to date information.

Was the tax Bill passed through The Thai Parliament?

We have just received for the first time a demand for over 27k bht.

we have a small house, in Kathu,of 3 bedroom size.

I have spoken to relations and friends and can find no-one else who has had this bill.

Is this a legitimate demand?

Or is it only certain areas that are being targeted?

If you own the property then there should be no property tax to pay. Rental and leased property attracts property tax roughly about 10% of the rental income and paid to local Tesiban office.

The tax bill would usually be sent to the owner of the property, and depending on the rental/lease contract the owner may pass on to tenant.

If you own the property then there should be no property tax to pay. Rental and leased property attracts property tax roughly about 10% of the rental income and paid to local Tesiban office.

The tax bill would usually be sent to the owner of the property, and depending on the rental/lease contract the owner may pass on to tenant.

Actually, that is only partially correct regarding the poster's potential tax liability and only half of what the poster was asking about in any event.

Wellington why would you try to find accurate legal advice on a commercial webchatforum? Would you ask for a medical diagnosis here?

Wellington why would you try to find accurate legal advice on a commercial webchatforum? Would you ask for a medical diagnosis here?

Ever looked at the health forum. Plenty of members ask for medical opinions ... :)

I doubt the OP is looking for accurate legal advice, suspect he is just trying to find if anyone else has a similar tax demand, before seeking advice from a professional who will charge some sort of fee. Nothing wrong with that.

Ever looked at the health forum. Plenty of members ask for medical opinions ... :)

I doubt the OP is looking for accurate legal advice, suspect he is just trying to find if anyone else has a similar tax demand, before seeking advice from a professional who will charge some sort of fee. Nothing wrong with that.

An accurate assessment ,

but I was advised to pay by my solicitor and not surprised when the Govt. Office in Kathu would take only cash.

An accurate assessment ,

but I was advised to pay by my solicitor and not surprised when the Govt. Office in Kathu would take only cash.

OK, so lets review. You Wellington were not looking for any accurate legal advice here in this webchatforum and you went ahead and paid this fee you asked about based on your "solictor" (whom you think knows the relevant law) telling you to and you clearly paid corruption money...nice

nextt time, as I have and will continue to say...make your lawyer you pay tell you the LAW that says that...it does matter, surprise!

An accurate assessment ,

OK, so lets review. You Wellington were not looking for any accurate legal advice here in this webchatforum and you went ahead and paid this fee you asked about based on your "solictor" (whom you think knows the relevant law) telling you to and you clearly paid corruption money...nice

nextt time, as I have and will continue to say...make your lawyer you pay tell you the LAW that says that...it does matter, surprise!

Why don't you stop the rhetoric and give a helpful answer in one of the threads here? Just once, try it, you might see that people actually are going to appreciate you.

Why don't you stop the rhetoric and give a helpful answer in one of the threads here? Just once, try it, you might see that people actually are going to appreciate you.

phuketlens conclusions based on what?

the annual tax for a lease, if not prepaid for 30 years lease, needs to be paid in cash, as cash is the only acceptable payment. so does the owners annual income tax on the lease.

in addition some tessabaan enforce collection of rental tax on leases, also to be paid in cash

where did phuketlen find the corruption? and I am looking forward to his advice ;)

the annual tax for a lease, if not prepaid for 30 years lease, needs to be paid in cash, as cash is the only acceptable payment. so does the owners annual income tax on the lease.

in addition some tessabaan enforce collection of rental tax on leases, also to be paid in cash

where did phuketlen find the corruption? and I am looking forward to his advice ;)

Well you know phuketlen likes to hold his cards close to his chest ... :whistling:

An accurate assessment ,

Steven, I have no need of being appreciated by this commercial webchat forum's members. BUT I am nice enough (not sure why):)

Steven, come on, please kindly define what you mean by "rehtoric" in your reply above. I maintain that my answers are very helpful. VERY helpful indeed. My opinion is that there are very few who understand what the law here actually says, how it actually works, that can actually back up what they say with the law that supports what they say, i.,e what we make and expect of what we call "lawyers" and in a society that is "ruled by law".

For example, here again (the whole building permit = house ownership inaccuracy aside) if anyone who is seriously interested in this topic acutually takes the time and effort to make the person who told them what they think is the right information back it up...instead of just believing it and then even worse proliferating it here on this webchat forum and worse maybe elsewhere...then I have helped them, more than you can begin to imagine.

Look, I have only, pressed those posting here to back up what they say/post with such "authority"..what is wrong with that? Do you believe them? Any of them? Note, none of them have been able to back up what they post with regard to "legal rights" in Thailand and what LAW actually assertedly gives one the "LEGAL rights" they assert...none. Please, I think you are going after the wrong one here and perhaps, just perhaps, I am being helpful, FAR more helpful that you read here usually ESPECIALLY about Thai law.

Now, who is helpful and who is not?

Kata I know you have posted like a zillion times and so your advice must be "based" on a, well like a bunch of postings, ya?? But since you carry such weight of so much postigm, I grant you all due deference, however. Em, no you are not correct, the "annual tax for a lease" is need not "be paid in cash". That would be income tax anyway and no cash is not the only acceptable payment. And no idea what "so does the owners annual income tax..." mean, you are just wrong. And if WANT to be screwed, unlawfully by your purported tetsabaan then good luck to you and if the rest of you want to be equally screwed as a result of your webchat (may I Kata?) Katabeachbumb's advice, well then I would advise you follow his webchat advice on that...OR we can ask Kata to show us what law says what he says...and if he...cannot, I would advise you not to follow his advice..

Well you know phuketlen likes to hold his cards close to his chest ... :whistling:

hemmmm....well, lets see. IF and only if Kata was correct about what he is trying to say about laws he does not understand, let's look at his comment about the tessabaan "enforce collection of rental tax on leases, also to be paid in cash". Ok, what law says that?... including the "cash basis" part, that is very specific, so it must be in the law, ya? :)...or maybe the alternative is the case :o...maybe since it is not the law, well that is not the case...

I maintain that my answers are very helpful. VERY helpful indeed.

<snip>

Your answer would be helpful if it were to help the OP, answer the question posed by the OP in this or any other thread. Since as usual it does not, you're not helpful at all.

Neither am I in this thread I admit, but I was hoping my remark would be helpful to you. My mistake.

Phuketlen, instead of perpetually irritating members with your non answers,why not ingratiate them and tell them what you and your thorough understanding of the law is on both of the threads that you have so generously posted in without supplying any answers. I'm sure if someone posted here about quantum physics and how it applies to nano technology, I could give the same answers as you.

hemmmm....well, lets see. IF and only if Kata was correct about what he is trying to say about laws he does not understand, let's look at his comment about the tessabaan "enforce collection of rental tax on leases, also to be paid in cash". Ok, what law says that?... including the "cash basis" part, that is very specific, so it must be in the law, ya? :)...or maybe the alternative is the case :o...maybe since it is not the law, well that is not the case...

why not make us a list of which tax collectors accept other payments than cash baht? I for one would love to bring my check book to land office and not hundreds or millions of baht to cover taxes.

and please drop the laws, in the real world we need to know what is in reality accepted, never seen a law defining method of payment.

Well thinking of it, all fines to Phuket Provincal Court and Royal Thai Police must be paid in cash. Same goes for bail, unless bailbond approved or Chanote assesed

why not make us a list of which tax collectors accept other payments than cash baht? I for one would love to bring my check book to land office and not hundreds or millions of baht to cover taxes.

and please drop the laws, in the real world we need to know what is in reality accepted, never seen a law defining method of payment.

Well thinking of it, all fines to Phuket Provincal Court and Royal Thai Police must be paid in cash. Same goes for bail, unless bailbond approved or Chanote assesed

Yes,I do have a receipt.

I paid because my solicitor(not a farang) pointed me to the clause in my 30year lease which states that I, not the landowner, are liable annually to this tax.

It's a large sum, but I can see no way out of it.And they had already started to threaten adding interest if it was not paid pronto.

Edited by Wellington

i would've expected a decent lawyer to explain what it was, what period it covered and what else may potentially arise

a receipt should always be obtained unless you like paying twice, thrice etc

who owns the land, the house and how?

Indeed Thaiwander, I agree...said lawyer should show you the law that says you must pay that and why and if it is legitimate the government must give you a reciept OR do NOT pay. Simple, totally agree.

I see you are still holding those cards close to your chest. It would be helpful if you answer the OP's question instead of bashing other members answers. So you should give the answer you think is correct. Then we can all make comment...

Waiting ... waiting ...zzzz

I am not here to make it easy for you...that would be no help to you in the long run, trust me and be glad I am willing to point out the BS on this site. But, ok to be nice I will do a bit of what you ask. Hemmm, okay lets see, no "that property tax" that the OP asked about did not go into effect. The last cabinet proposed it to replace the current the house and land tax and local development tax which have been in effect forever and are indeed arguably very outdated..but the new cabinet let that lapse (if I am not mistaken last week or the week before) so that new property tax is now a dead issue unless someone restarts the whole process to make something like that law again. ....so there you go, I actually and accurately answered the first half of the OP's question...feel free to comment :)

I maintain that my answers are very helpful. VERY helpful indeed.

<snip>

Your answer would be helpful if it were to help the OP, answer the question posed by the OP in this or any other thread. Since as usual it does not, you're not helpful at all.

Neither am I in this thread I admit, but I was hoping my remark would be helpful to you. My mistake.

If I make you all think...I THINK that is REALLY "helpful".;)

Phuketlen, instead of perpetually irritating members with your non answers,why not ingratiate them and tell them what you and your thorough understanding of the law is on both of the threads that you have so generously posted in without supplying any answers. I'm sure if someone posted here about quantum physics and how it applies to nano technology, I could give the same answers as you.

simple Steel...why?...why? AGAIN what I am, really and I mean it, is trying to get this commercial webchat forum folks is to think, me just telling them the answer will not do that, they will continue to as lazy as they apparently feel they can be by relying in this wecbhat forum site and or those who post a bunch here and sponsor here and give "info". BUT if I point out and can back up that what is posted here is wrong, incorrect, then you all are on your own...you figure it out. Wait I thought you all came here to Thailand and you are adventures and have that spirit...you, YOU figure it out. What happened? Please note, no one so far has been able to disprove what I have said, only complain I do not just tell them the answer :jap:

Kata, I will give you a chance to maybe rephrase that and figure out what you are actually saying or asking there before I reply.

And what "real world" do you live in? My bet is its one where you think you have been here a long time and "know the score" and you pay stuff you have know idea (not really) if and how you should (read, perfect door for cooruption) and you post a lot on this forum and so you and others think that what you say must be true. But I say to you, sorry but please do not tell me to disrespect the rule of law here in Thailand, I do believe in that AND guess what I have been here too....for a long time, and I actually know what I am talking about, and if you know the law, the rule of law does pretty much work here. Its just all the idiots who read what someone who was ignorant (with all due respect) posted or told them at a bar do without checking or asking someone who acutally knows that end up paying and "drop the laws". I know.

Yes,I do have a receipt.

I paid because my solicitor(not a farang) pointed me to the clause in my 30year lease which states that I, not the landowner, are liable annually to this tax.

It's a large sum, but I can see no way out of it.And they had already started to threaten adding interest if it was not paid pronto.

sure, any party can make your responsible for their obligations...IF they are legitimate. And maybe you did not understand and did not get good legal advice when you entered your contract...but the I really doubt your "thai lawyer" truly understands the alleged tax...or your contract and/or whether you are liable...but if you really want to know and all you do is go this site for legal advice and you pay your local lawyer who does not know and you go on this site hoping for a diagnosis for your disease, so sorry for you, in fact you, with all due respect, are getting exactly what you deserve. I hope the rest you learn a bit from that.

Kata, I will give you a chance to maybe rephrase that and figure out what you are actually saying or asking there before I reply.

And what "real world" do you live in? My bet is its one where you think you have been here a long time and "know the score" and you pay stuff you have know idea (not really) if and how you should (read, perfect door for cooruption) and you post a lot on this forum and so you and others think that what you say must be true. But I say to you, sorry but please do not tell me to disrespect the rule of law here in Thailand, I do believe in that AND guess what I have been here too....for a long time, and I actually know what I am talking about, and if you know the law, the rule of law does pretty much work here. Its just all the idiots who read what someone who was ignorant (with all due respect) posted or told them at a bar do without checking or asking someone who acutally knows that end up paying and "drop the laws". I know.

hehehehe, I like to have a drink in a bar now and then, but there are subjects I never discuss in bars, like money, laws, taxes, property. Spoils the fun :D

I m done.

Waiting for your list of tax collectors accepting other payments than cash, and the "law" supporting valid reciept and/or transfer can be issued for such payment :rolleyes:

I will pay tax in cash today at DLT and recive an official reciept. Makes them accept transfer of ownership ;)

Yes,I do have a receipt.

sure, any party can make your responsible for their obligations...IF they are legitimate. And maybe you did not understand and did not get good legal advice when you entered your contract...but the I really doubt your "thai lawyer" truly understands the alleged tax...or your contract and/or whether you are liable...but if you really want to know and all you do is go this site for legal advice and you pay your local lawyer who does not know and you go on this site hoping for a diagnosis for your disease, so sorry for you, in fact you, with all due respect, are getting exactly what you deserve. I hope the rest you learn a bit from that.

most land owners would require a clause in lease stating "all taxes to be paid be lessee", including annual income tax and tessabaan rental tax and any other present or future tax applicable. and an additional clause "if taxes not paid when due, lessee accepts to leave property and hand it back to lessor without any claim" or something similar.

most land owners would require a clause in lease stating "all taxes to be paid be lessee", including annual income tax and tessabaan rental tax and any other present or future tax applicable. and an additional clause "if taxes not paid when due, lessee accepts to leave property and hand it back to lessor without any claim" or something similar.

really? and what idiot lessee would agree to that? (lets put aside the issue that you clearly do not understand what taxes are legally payable by whom and when...lets just put that aside)...what idiot lessee would agree to to that?