Vat In The Uk

I'm an expat living in Saudi and have claimed a few times for the VAT I have paid in the UK on certain items.

I am just about to sell an House in the UK and the Estate Agent fees are disgusting now, never mind with the added 20% VAT.

As an expat can I claim the VAT back on this also? Or is this type of service exempt?

It's complicated but the short answer is that you cannot reclaim VAT on the basis you've described - as a UK ex-pat you are VAT exempt on some items such as legal fees for a divorce or a Will, this is because you are the object of focus and you are not UK resident. The house on the other hand is UK resident and that is the object of focus in your example. If it helps any, I also tried to do the same thing you are plotting and my UK Solicitors ruled me out.

It's complicated but the short answer is that you cannot reclaim VAT on the basis you've described - as a UK ex-pat you are VAT exempt on some items such as legal fees for a divorce or a Will, this is because you are the object of focus and you are not UK resident. The house on the other hand is UK resident and that is the object of focus in your example.

Many thanks Chiang Mai

If it helps any, I also tried to do the same thing you are plotting and my UK Solicitors ruled me out.

:lol: We can but try eh. :D

It's complicated but the short answer is that you cannot reclaim VAT on the basis you've described - as a UK ex-pat you are VAT exempt on some items such as legal fees for a divorce or a Will, this is because you are the object of focus and you are not UK resident. The house on the other hand is UK resident and that is the object of focus in your example.

Many thanks Chiang Mai

If it helps any, I also tried to do the same thing you are plotting and my UK Solicitors ruled me out.

:lol: We can but try eh. :D

If you are self employed and you get VAT registered if the items can been designated to your business you can claim back but I don't think you can claim back dated VAT paid.